looking at buying 2014 vrs will the engine die a horrible death

Hi I am new to here and really need advice

I have found the only car that is big enough for the family that's small enough for the other half and a bit of fun when I drive it.

We both love the vrs and want to get a new as possible so looking at May 2014 with between 300 to 2000 miles from a skoda main dealer, now I'd normally say a very safe bet but reading oil consumption issues I'm worried

Now I know this Will have the chte engine but are they any better?

I spoke to Hughes skoda who also have sorted my Mazda mps out for the last 4 years and they say it's now been cured with the new engine?

Is it a wise move buying a pretty much new vrs or should I find a different car?

First of all, I wouldn't worry.

The revised CTHE engine has many changes to it that have seemed to reduce the excessive oil consumption that the older CAVE engine suffered from.

It's a lottery, you either get an engine that will use a little (1l every 5,000 miles) none at all, or something in the middle.

I am lucky enough to have an older CAVE engine that uses 1l every 2-3,00 miles. It runs perfect and is at stage 1 power.

Get it, drive it,enjoy it.

Looking at your list of cars on your profile you seem to be a chap that knows his cars. Just check the oil as you would any other car and top up if needed.

I guess it depends what your plans are.

If you plan to keep it for many years (out of warranty) and run it into the ground, it might not be the ideal car, as itll be abit of a lucky dip.

If you just want it for a few years and keep it in warranty or buy an extended warranty, you should be fine as if it does develop issues it wont be at your expense anyway

Ok I read Rickf's thread and seams positive but had crap luck with a lot of cars and with my other driving it as het first car and my two little ones I don't want it leaving them stranded.

195bhp sounds good .

I have my eye on a rally green hatch which is 6 months old a 400 miles for 13k or maybe I have seen yellow one for sale but has done 6k and is a year old but only 11k. Basically there are about 5 ex demo newly registered hatches around 13k with under 1000 miles and 6 months old that seam a wise move or save 2k and yet a year old one with 4-6k miles but a years less warranty before I have to extend it.

I really like the yellow one but is a 63 plate with 6k miles be a good bet?

It's also is fully spec up with heated seats, Bluetooth, parking sensors, cruise , black roof and so on

The 14 plates are basic spec but I'd fit a touchscreen head unit and reverse camera anyway so little point being fully loads

Any car can prove to be a lemon TBF. As others have said the CTHE engined car seems to be less problematic (and a little more powerful though not advertised) than the CAVE versions and I think you'd just be unlucky to experience major issues with one.

I had an 11 CAVE engined estate for 18 months and 11k miles trouble free apart from a misfire issues that was cured by an ECU update under warranty, some have run theirs up to much higher mileages without incident. Its absolutely luck of the draw.

195bhp sounds good .

I have my eye on a rally green hatch which is 6 months old a 400 miles for 13k or maybe I have seen yellow one for sale but has done 6k and is a year old but only 11k. Basically there are about 5 ex demo newly registered hatches around 13k with under 1000 miles and 6 months old that seam a wise move or save 2k and yet a year old one with 4-6k miles but a years less warranty before I have to extend it.

I really like the yellow one but is a 63 plate with 6k miles be a good bet?

It's also is fully spec up with heated seats, Bluetooth, parking sensors, cruise , black roof and so on

The 14 plates are basic spec but I'd fit a touchscreen head unit and reverse camera anyway so little point being fully loads

im afraid you might find the yellow 1 sold yesterday.......................................................................................to me ;-) chopping in my superb bus to come back to a vrs - test drove it yesterday - collecting tomorrow :clap:

if you keep reading horror stories you will never buy 1 - at the end of the day if its got warranty and you want some fun pull the trigger m8 - we are only here once - enjoy your time !!!

:rock:

• Like 4

im afraid you might find the yellow 1 sold yesterday.......................................................................................to me ;-) chopping in my superb bus to come back to a vrs - test drove it yesterday - collecting tomorrow :clap:

Can you remember the Reg of your MK1? Random question I know, but I bought an 07 MK1 a few years ago that was from your area. Just wondering if it was yours!

Can you remember the Reg of your MK1? Random question I know, but I bought an 07 MK1 a few years ago that was from your area. Just wondering if it was yours!

think it was  sg07 cag

dont know how i remembered that cos i had private plate on it from owning - silver n  black leather and cruise - was a cracking car but i was always up in edinburgh and i couldnt get all the kit i needed to take with me in it.

• Like 1

As someone in the midst of oil consumption issues (in fact getting a new engine supplied very soon) I would urge you not to misinterpret any of my posts as being a warning against buying a Vrs. We love the car but wanted it sorted out to be the car it should be, and came here to get (and obtained) the advice we needed to resolve the problem.

The Vrs does everything we need it to do and more. It's my wife's car and she needed a small automatic, preferably petrol and preferably with 5 doors so that moving the grandchildren in and out of the car with their seats would easier on everyone. The Vrs meets all those requirements and due to being a relatively low engine size isn't difficult to insure either.

I wanted something that would provide a bit of fun when driving, and it does that in spades.

Also, I think it is fair to say that there have been a number of CAVE engined cars (including ours) that have had problems it is more accurate to reflect on the overwhelming majority with no problems.

It's a good wee car with a bit of bite.

• Like 3

As someone who looked at the Fabia vRS very carefully and decided against buying one I would be inclined to say that if you can accept oil consumption figures of 0.5 litres per 620 miles (I was prepared to accept this) or alleged DSG (gearbox) problems you shouldn't be too concerned about any potential issues - they will probably be resolved under warranty.

My concerns were threefold:

1. Awful resale value due to previous oil consumption problems
  2. Very harsh ride - e.g. on pot holes and over sleeping policemen
  3. Noisy at speed

If these issues aren't showstoppers for you, take a good look at the Estate version, it is a great, understated car at a reasonable buy-in price.

• Like 1

Hi

In reply to the original question "looking at buying 2014 vrs will the engine die a horrible death"  

I've just bought a 2011 vRS and it as yet hasn't died a horrible death.  I think there are older and considerably higher mileage examples around so you odds are probably that your prospective new car will be solid.  Nobody can give you a cast iron 100% guarantee that any model of car will be fault free.......but you will have a warranty should you require it.

If you want to see how the other manufacturers are fairing try Googling "Mercedes problems", "BMW problems", "Ford problems",  "Vauxhall problems" etc (insert manufacturer of your choice) and you'll be surprised that no one escapes.  Seemingly all the manufacturers are suffering differing issues including engine and gearbox failures, all that you can hope for is that if you come across a problem, you are treated fairly.

I don't have the comfort of any manufacturers warranty.  I'm relying on buying from a good source, and hoping that any problem would have shown itself already, or will do in the 1st 3 months of my ownership when I'm covered by the dealers warranty and consumer law.  

Looking at this site I wasn't convinced that buying this car was a good idea, all the warnings said don't buy without warranty.  But we do have 2 cars and only actually need one so if there was a catastrophic failure we aren't stuck for transport..  But, and this is a big but, after driving it I get a smile on my face every time I drive it.  It will be the 1st time for a while I've looked forward to the big drive south - since driving the wife's 200BHP V5 Beetle in fact. 

• Like 2

I will more than likely keep it 3-4 years and after the 3 year warranty is up I'm extend it but rather not have the hassle of a lemon car

you can only get the extended skoda warranty as an optional extra when buying new. You cannot get this after buying. The one skoda dealers are selling are car care plan.

"Please note that an extended warranty is only available on new vehicles at the time of ordering."

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/warranty/extended-warranty/reasons-to-extend-your-cover

if you keep reading horror stories you will never buy 1 - at the end of the day if its got warranty and you want some fun pull the trigger m8 - we are only here once - enjoy your time !!!

:rock:

Well picked it up yesterday and drove it home from Sunny Doncaster.

Wow!! - you've got to remember its been 3 years since i was in a mark 1 and I've been chugging up n down the motorways in my superb l + k luxobarge for the last 2 1/2 years.

The Grin factor is definitely back!

post-5253-0-12131400-1409728532_thumb.jpg

• Like 1