2006 Diesel Octavia VRS Mpg issues

Hi,

I have a 56 plate Diesel 2.0 Octavia VRS. I do a lot of miles (circa 600 per week) and the car has clocked up approx 115k in total.

The fly wheel will need to be replaced at some stage and the garage i use are monitoring it at service etc but it is not causing any issues at present. The cambelt is next due to be replaced at approx 129k but I am going to get done well in advance as don't want any issues.

i am not easy on the car but don't feel that I abuse it either and I have generally got anywhere from 45-50+mpg depending on where I have been driving and obviously how I have been driving etc. Recently the warning light flashed on and the car went into "safemode" while i was doing approx 70mph in 5 gear just before i was about to change up. I pulled over and called the garage and they suggested turning it off and on to see what happened. It sorted the initial issue and I was able to continue my journey with no issues. The car was in for service a couple of days later and they checked it all out and put it onto the diagnostic machine and no issue was found. I have since been driving the car with no issues yet when the climate control is on (normally around 16 degrees) the mpg has been dropping below 40 and I have been getting around 38mpg. I have since taken to running with no blowers on to see what happened and my previous return of 45ish mpg was returned. I used the blowers to clear the screen a few times on the low setting and it didn't affect the mpg at all which I was surprised at due to it being the full on air con mode. I have since had the car checked again and been told that it could be a DPF issue as the car blowers do stay on if they have been used while I was driving and also that there may be some sort of blockage in the turbo?

What I am looking to find out is what the possible cause in the drop of mpg when the climate control is being used normally and also what could the cause in the "safemode" thing be as I believe the two things could be linked. Is something as simple as getting my cambelt done ahead of time going to sort it?

Many thanks in advance for any help that you can give me.

Thanks, I will see if they have anything logged or get it reviewed when I can next get down the garage. What sort of affect can the ash content have on performance?

They need to check measuring block 068 IIRC.

As the DPF fills up with ash there is less space for soot, you then get more regens.

They need to check measuring block 068 IIRC.

As the DPF fills up with ash there is less space for soot, you then get more regens.

I guess the only way to resolve if that is the case is to have the DPF replaced or can it be cleared?

I guess the only way to resolve if that is the case is to have the DPF replaced or can it be cleared?

There are people who offer a cleaning service.  There is the pikey hosepipe option, but that may be a baaaaad idea.  You could get it gutted and hope it passes the MoT.  A new DPF is muchos pounds.

There are people who offer a cleaning service.  There is the pikey hosepipe option, but that may be a baaaaad idea.  You could get it gutted and hope it passes the MoT.  A new DPF is muchos pounds.

Thanks for the guidance. I'll check out the cleaning option (the non-bad version) and I just had the MOT done a couple of weeks ago with no advisorys or issues highlighted at all. With the cambelt due within the next 10k I don't wanna build to big a bill haha!

Thanks. I'll take this info to the garage next time I'm there. I know the ecu was remapped on my car before I got it. I expect the previous owner may have messed with it but I have done 45k in the car since getting it.