Anyone worried about the growing diesel hatred?

willmag

Resale?  Wahahahahaha!  :D   I don't care much for that obviously, but I am happy with my decent fuel economy combined with good power.  I would perhaps only be concerned if I lived in London and got hit with massive penalties, or all of a sudden the gov't started hammering diesels for road tax despite the low CO2 the current system is based on.

Haha well yours is more a space shuttle than a car anymore ;) its just i was reading in the paper today that Bozza wants to pay diesel car owners (in London) to scrap (?!?!?!) their cars!! Got me worried

No..........................

I run petrol............................but have been banging on about soot particulates for 20yrs!!!..........................the media have only just caught up with facts that have been out there for ages.................... :dull:

• Like 1

Get a bike. No emissions test in MOT. No congestion charge, free tolls and free parking most places. 

All but the fastest bikes are capable of MPG that would shame most diesels and all but the slowest

have performance that will shame most petrols (and most diesels too). 

CC based RFL brackets as has been for donkeys years, starting at £17 a year up to a massive £80. 

Oh and of course there's the whole traffic avoidance thing too. 

• Like 1

Get a bike. No emissions test in MOT. No congestion charge, free tolls and free parking most places.

All but the fastest bikes are capable of MPG that would shame most diesels and all but the slowest

have performance that will shame most petrols (and most diesels too).

CC based RFL brackets as has been for donkeys years, starting at £17 a year up to a massive £80.

Oh and of course there's the whole traffic avoidance thing too.

What's the insurance like compared?

If you're a young d!ck the insurance is horrific, if you're an old duffer like me it's so cheap it's embarrassing, my Trumpet 900 is way cheaper than my Fabia to insure.

I'm not so sure about the MPG bit though, quick bikes are lucky to get into the 30's MPG and running cost are HIGH, chains, sprockets and tyres don't last long.

Edited by sepulchrave

Old fart here so £130 fully comp with cover for abroad, legal and luggage cover. 

That's with zero no claims and only holding a full licence since April. 

I expect it will get cheaper still in a year or two. 

I did say all but the fastest bikes gave good mpg.  

Old fart here so £130 fully comp with cover for abroad, legal and luggage cover. 

That's with zero no claims and only holding a full licence since April. 

I expect it will get cheaper still in a year or two. 

I did say all but the fastest bikes gave good mpg.  

It's about £80 for me.

Only commuter type bikes below 600cc give reasonable MPG really, you can't have any performance without burning any fuel, anything making over 100BHP per litre is going to be thirsty full stop.

It's about £80 for me.

Only commuter type bikes below 600cc give reasonable MPG really, you can't have any performance without burning any fuel, anything making over 100BHP per litre is going to be thirsty full stop.

Both my cars are app. 125 bhp per litre, & are averaging (long-term maxidot, so not totally accurate) 35+ mpg. Annual tax is £225 (?) each, so there is a cost increase there, compared with two bikes, insurance was app. £240 each, but I still prefer four wheels to two. 

As was common back in the day, I & all my friends started on bikes / scooters & progressed to cars after some painful accidents, ( I managed to cut my tongue in half, loosing 4 teeth in the process & melting the goggle on my helmet), & none of us feel any desire to own a bike at all at our age!

We've seen the figures that indicating that old farts on big bikes are unlikely to live very long, & just don't feel that suicidal anymore.

I'm sure that we remember the thrill of a decent bike & an empty road, even in the days when a 650 twin was quick enough to get away from the traffic police, but today's roads are much busier & probably much more dangerous for the biker than the late 60's were.

Been there, done that, lived to tell the tale & now I just want to trundle into the twilight years in our little old pensioner wagons, watching all you young hooligans behaving badly & you fly past.......................

DC  

What growing diesel hatred? Is this something from the daily mail?....

I just keep seeing on the news and in the papers (not the daily lie) that there's an impending clamp down on diesels due to the particulates they chuck out!! This is what Boris has to say on the matter.....

http://www.businessgreen.com/bg/news/2362826/pay-motorists-to-scrap-diesel-cars-says-mayor-boris

RE OP:  I doubt it will affect resale since those in the market for cheaper motoring will still be attracted to diesels.  Modern petrol engined small cars will hold value for a fair few years (the newer ones) making them less attractive than cheaper used diesels.  Just as diesels started to match petrol for performance, petrols are starting to match diesels for economy and this trend will only increase with hybrid technology development.  I can see diesel emission controls being tightened up for newer cars but they cannot do much legislatively about older engines except perhaps alter the annual tax calculations to penalise them more.  It's all a political mess.  It was politicians and the barmy Euro legislators who shoved us all down the diesel route in terms of lowering emissions and for economy in the first place.  All of us petrol heads were already aware that petrol cars were less polluting than diesels but the diesel agenda was forced anyway.  Now they're back tracking and tightening up on current and future controls for diesel engines which has already led to huge engine complexity, increasing unreliability and cost of ownership so more people will probably revert to petrol .  I know that we shall once we get the life from our cars.

On the bike front,  I've a few bikes, including a 1 litre sports bike.  Insurance for both bikes combined is less than the Fabia. I can eek out over 50mpg from my 147BHP Aprilia with ease or empty the tank in under 80 miles depending on how it's ridden.  It all depends on how the throttle and brakes are used.  Ditto tyres.  They can last 4K miles (rear) or I can get under 1000 miles with a trackday or two thrown in.  On the whole though, sports bikes are more expensive to run and you can really forget cheap insurance unless over 30 years old and living in the sticks!  Throw into the equation that its winter here 5 months of the year give or take, and any small car looks a more practical alternative.  Commuting bikes are way cheaper to run though and I ran nothing but bikes for 10 years winter and summer, which was a great way to develop observation skills, read road conditions and hone roadcraft.  Being more exposed to hazards means you have to develop these skills to stay safe so I'd say long term bikers tend to make better car drivers as a result (can of worms opened? :peek: ).

Edited by SEVrs

Penalising car users seems cheaper than

a)retooling refineries (alleged insufficient petrol vs diesel production was an initial "problem" highlighted as an excuse to punish diesels years ago), and

B) mandating/enforcing diesel emission checks as per engine's EU rating.

Just look at the smoke coming out of the many taxis and vans around London, I doubt they'd pass an honest smoke test, not to mention a genuine Euro 3/4/5/6 particulate emission test. That's the real issue, not the number of diesels on the road. Regarding NOx , I'd look at old trucks and buses first, but they're not the cash cows passenger cars are, so no mention of them.

Frankly, if they do introduce extra charges for diesels going into London, they will just lose my business altogether. Last time I paid congestion charge was a few years back, we only travel to central London on Sundays if ever. Same for expanding CC zone, as soon as it covers IKEAs in Edmonton and Wembley, that's the end of us shopping there, Milton Keynes is a similar distance away. Not quite sure that's the result Boris is after, but all we have left is to vote with our feet/wheels...

• Like 1