HID Upgrade from H7 Halogen Bulbs?

DarrellGB

Anyone successfully upgraded the standard halogen H7 main and dipped beam bulbs with these HID kits or similar? They are CANBUS Error message safe (or so it says).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Upgraded-Car-Vehicle-Xenon-HID-Conversion-Kit-12V-35W-H7-6000K-Slim-Ballast-/111420805388?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19f132910c

What are the headlights like?

Are they the reflector type or projector (little round lense to focus the light)?

If reflector then I would avoid HIDs as the beam pattern will be awful.

Phil

• Like 1

What are the headlights like?

Are they the reflector type or projector (little round lense to focus the light)?

If reflector then I would avoid HIDs as the beam pattern will be awful.

Phil

Agree with Phil.

Plus reflector lenses with HIDs in tend to dazzle oncoming drivers.

Iv spent a lot of time playing with with different set ups in different cars and bikes. From high performance bulbs with relay kits to HID kits.

Iv currently got a 5000k hid dipped beam and osram nightbreaker unlimited's in the high beam of my fabia. I find this works best.

I tried hid high beam, which was like driving in the day, but in the middle of the night. They take too long to power up though (about 10 seconds to full power) and i soon blew a bulb as they dont like cycling on/off, which is the nature of a high beam

• Like 1

Phil

They are the standard reflector type, not projector.

Lots of facelifted Yeti owners with non-HID lamps have said that the new headlights with the standard bulbs are far better than the old model, and once fitted with up-rated bulbs (Osram or Phillips) they are even better still. Perhaps if Darrel had posted this in the Yeti section he would have found the answer already.

I suspect that although the HID's linked to say they are Canbus friendly they might still need resistors. It is far better buying from a known, quality supplier than from Ebay.

• Like 2

If its a reflector, dont bother. Honestly, just use philips extreme or osram nightbreakers, as said above.

I wouldnt use a cheap ebay kit anyway. Id go to hids- direct of HIDs 4u

Thanks everyone, that's answered it perfectly, I'll stick with the Nightbreakers upgrade and hopefully find a way to switch out the DRL bulbs too.

• Like 1

Phil

They are the standard reflector type, not projector.

Lots of facelifted Yeti owners with non-HID lamps have said that the new headlights with the standard bulbs are far better than the old model, and once fitted with up-rated bulbs (Osram or Phillips) they are even better still. Perhaps if Darrel had posted this in the Yeti section he would have found the answer already.

I suspect that although the HID's linked to say they are Canbus friendly they might still need resistors. It is far better buying from a known, quality supplier than from Ebay.

I put it here to see if this had been done with other models in the Skoda range with the same headlight set up, it's been resolved perfectly so thanks for the input :)

I put it here to see if this had been done with other models in the Skoda range with the same headlight set up, it's been resolved perfectly so thanks for the input :)

Headlight set-up is model specific.

Had a reply from Skoda, the non LED Facelift yeti side/DLR bulbs are 511's, just ordered some Phillips Blue Vision bulbs which are perfect match for the Osram Nightbreakers

Had a reply from Skoda, the non LED Facelift yeti side/DLR bulbs are 511's, just ordered some Phillips Blue Vision bulbs which are perfect match for the Osram Nightbreakers

Perfect.

Are they easy to change though? I thought i saw something on the internet about having to take the front bumper off, could be wrong?

Perfect.

Are they easy to change though? I thought i saw something on the internet about having to take the front bumper off, could be wrong?

I'll soon find out, gonna have a crack at it this weekend, if I'm having no joy I'll pop over to my mates garage, he always helps out when I get stuck or need a ramp :)

I'll try and do a "how to" with pics or video if I get it cracked, maybe something others will want to do now we know which bulbs to go for.

• Like 1

fyi, the philips extremes have been shown in the octy mk1 threads to not have the longevity that the osram nightbreakers have... Thats in H4 bulb type, but i know i put the H7 nb's in my wifes previous car and when traded 15months later still perfect. And the H4 nb's in my octy are good as new 18months on. Quite a few philips have bit the dust in the same time frame..

• Like 1

fyi, the philips extremes have been shown in the octy mk1 threads to not have the longevity that the osram nightbreakers have... Thats in H4 bulb type, but i know i put the H7 nb's in my wifes previous car and when traded 15months later still perfect. And the H4 nb's in my octy are good as new 18months on. Quite a few philips have bit the dust in the same time frame..

If they do I'll swop them out for some Osrams, went with the Philips as everything I read in reviews and other VAG forums said they were good and a perfect light match to the Nightbreakers.