DIY 6 Speed DSG Oil & Filter Change

It's not too much cheaper than the original VAG stuff.

I'd be tempted to use the proper stuff:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Box-of-6-x-1-litre-DSG-oil-VW-Audi-Skoda-Seat-G052182A2-New-genuine-part-/121388895682?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c43578dc2#ht_1275wt_1161

This works out at £12.50 per litre.

Mine is due soon (currently at 38,000 miles) but probably just going to get it done at Skoda dealer for £169. At least it's done with genuine parts. I don't feel confident enough to do it myself!

Phil

The Comma stuff is probably perfectly fine but there's just something about using the genuine stuff that just feels right when there's such a small price difference.

I'll be doing the service myself so will at least save some money there which will basically pay for the labour of them doing the DSG change for me.

Have you got the right tool to fill it? As you fill from the bottom I believe? Also something about the oil being 35c and monitoring something with VCDS as you fill?

Phil

You only need to measure the temp when doing the bottom fill method as there is a plastic insert in the drain plug.

You basically overfill it, get it up to temp, then let off the bottom of the drain plug and let the excess overflow over the top of the insert.

This is far quicker and is what the dealers do, but it relies on the temperature being correct, and can result in being not filled enough if too much spills out.

You can fill from the top with just a funnel, it's just much slower. 

Measuring the amount of oil released and then refilling the same from the top is easiest to do as far as I can see :)

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/dsg-fluid-drain-and-replacement-service-vw-and-audi-stronic-oil-flush/

I'm actually tempted to do it myself now!

That really doesn't seem too bad at all and as you so no more difficult than a normal oil change. It would also give me an excuse to do a proper engine oil drain too (while the undertray is off) rather than using the pela oil extractor.

Hmmm.... I will price it all up with the filter and washer and see what it will cost.

Phil

This one seems to be the cheapest, as most don't appear to come with the seal.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-VW-Gearbox-Oil-Filter-AND-Seal-Kit-for-6-Speed-DSG-Auto-Gearbox-/350794153932?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51acf5ffcc

That makes it £90.71 in total.

I'll check with my local TPS today though as they serve the public.

Super.

Thanks for updating.

Will decide what I want to do when we get back from Germany... pretty sure I will just do it myself!

When you planning on doing yours?

Phil

I need to do this soon too, mine has covered 118k miles. I've seen a video on YouTube, can't find it now though, where he hung up the bottles like a saline drip and used some fuel hose to fill it from the top. It did look to take an absolute age though.

Please make sure that the oil on ebay is the genuine article from a trusted seller. Considering the only original source for the oil is the dealer or TPS how is this seller, able to sell them for less than both.

My local indy also charges £149 for a DSG oil change, but then they buy all their parts from TPS.

As Phil said, his dealer quoted him £169.

My local VAG independent quoted £150 so there is still quite a saving doing it yourself

Thats not as bad as i thought to be honest... trouble is you do it yourself you dont get the stamp and mine is main dealer all the way... 

Comma oil is a very good product i work for Dorset Auto Spare and they are our main supplier now high recommended we sell 5 ltr of that for £42.54 so thats not a bad price

• Like 1

Comma oil is a very good product i work for Dorset Auto Spare and they are our main supplier now high recommended we sell 5 ltr of that for £42.54 so thats not a bad price

How much is delivery?

I can't see the product on the website.

Thats not as bad as i thought to be honest... trouble is you do it yourself you dont get the stamp and mine is main dealer all the way... 

Yeah that's the only thing that puts me off. Ours currently has full dealer history.. but then we plan to keep the car for the foreseeable future and so hopefully by the time we come to sell it won't make so much of a difference in price and the money I will have saved with DIY servicing will outweigh this.

I think as long as you can prove it's been done and serviced when it should have been using genuine/quality parts and service items then it shouldn't reflect too badly on the sale price in how ever many years to come.

Phil

• Like 1