Thought the new LAND ROVER will look different?

Ha think again...

So the new LAND ROVER looks exactly like the ENTIRE Range Rover range....

What an utter and total missed opportunity.  Will ALL LR products look like Evoque clones shortly?

This is the new Land Rover Freelander by the way.

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/09/new-land-rover-discovery-sport-leaked.html

Land-Rover-Discovery-Sport-0.jpg

Land-Rover-Discovery-Sport-2.jpg

Land-Rover-Discovery-Sport-3.jpg

Land-Rover-Discovery-Sport-7.jpg

Land-Rover-Discovery-Sport-10.jpg

Land Rover marketing people were on about restablishing the brand, yadda, yadda...  so now you can buy a "cheap" Land Rover that looks EXACTLY like and expensive Range Rover. New LR owners will rejoice but will someone that just bought a Ranger Rover Sport?  I think not.

Regardless of that I like this.

Glad to see Mercedes keeps the G-Class the same shape as when it was introduced in 1979 :sun:attachicon.gifG300CDI-Professional.jpg

ps

I got 3No "Gay" Wagens, dont really know why  .  .  .

PPS

Is LR busy exploring that wonderful facet of modern car design where they succeed in making them bigger on the outside

but smaller on the inside

Quite fascinating!

Yawn! Not inspiring. Just looks like another Evoque. I was hoping that with the larger RR range and the Disco moving further and further upmarket that the new small LR would be more like the Mk1. Freelander rather than sonething like this. Disappointing.

I believe that it's not going to be called the Freelander anymore either...

Cheers

Rog

The Freelander name will go. The proposal I saw was for 3 model ranges:

"Defender" replacement

Discovery Sport

Discovery

Range Rover Evoque

Range Rover Sport

Range Rover

Whilst i quite like the look of that it is too big for my requirements, but it is bloody good off-road.

I'm waiting to see what they bring out in the Defender range as that is said to be 3 models; Sport, SWB, LWB.

I think it needs:

1) Bigger wheels

2) A Numatic Henry vacuum smiley face to offset the beautiful mug it has.

I need:

1) To work on toning down my sarcasm.

Thought this was the was the yeti forum?

I think that is why the sarcasm doesn't need toning down?

I once had a GWagon D222 WCC. Has anybody got a method of checking if it is still in existence. It had all the toys only Llanigraham would know how to use...

Nothing on mycarcheck

Land Rover marketing people were on about restablishing the brand, yadda, yadda...  so now you can buy a "cheap" Land Rover that looks EXACTLY like and expensive Range Rover. New LR owners will rejoice but will someone that just bought a Ranger Rover Sport?

Exactly why they'll sell loads.

"Oh, it looks like a Range Rover"

I left the brand when they started all that sillyness and the Ewok came out.

Mind you, hard to criticise when all Skodas are being made to look so similar.

I am starting to find car design rather tedious.

• Like 1

I don't see this as a Freelander replacement myself - totally a personal opinion of course. It's an 80% Disco in the same way that the RR Sport is an 80% RR. So it will fill a marketing slot but probably not the same slot as the FL - this just looks too big, with its 7 seat option. 

Don't know whether LR are simply abandoning the original FL slot - maybe too much competition from the crossover models to compete effectively on price if you're going to retain traditional FL 4WD values - or if the Defender replacement will be such a radical rethink that it will be able to offer a version that could be thought of as a FL replacement.

I don't see this as a Freelander replacement myself - totally a personal opinion of course. It's an 80% Disco in the same way that the RR Sport is an 80% RR. So it will fill a marketing slot but probably not the same slot as the FL - this just looks too big, with its 7 seat option. 

Don't know whether LR are simply abandoning the original FL slot - maybe too much competition from the crossover models to compete effectively on price if you're going to retain traditional FL 4WD values - or if the Defender replacement will be such a radical rethink that it will be able to offer a version that could be thought of as a FL replacement.

As Llanigraham said there will be three Defenders BELOW this car. Heck people, the current Polo is as big as a Golf 2!!! So it is not exactly rocket science to work out that this Freelander replacement is bigger than the current Freelander and more akin in size to the first Discovery. ESPECIALLY since everyone on the planet already knows the real Freelander replacement in size and cost will be the next Defender. Anyone can surely also work out that the next Discovery (the big brother to this Discovery Sport) will ALSO be bigger and move a bit up in size and price...   :wall: 

So no LR is not "abandoning" the Freelander slot at all. Good things come to those that wait...  so a bit of patience and the LR range will make sense.

As Llanigraham said there will be three Defenders BELOW this car. Heck people, the current Polo is as big as a Golf 2!!! So it is not exactly rocket science to work out that this Freelander replacement is bigger than the current Freelander and more akin in size to the first Discovery. ESPECIALLY since everyone on the planet already knows the real Freelander replacement in size and cost will be the next Defender.

Yes, yes - hopefully that's all pretty obvious stuff.

So no LR is not "abandoning" the Freelander slot at all.

My point is really about names. You only have to look at the current Autocar front cover to see this new model described as 'Freelander Mk3', which I think we agree it's not. I do remain to be convinced about the extent to which a Defender replacement can also map effectively into the traditional Freelander space, but I'm totally open to persuasion by the facts, as and when they emerge.

• Like 1

But when the Range Rover Sport came out it WAS 80+% Discovery.

• Like 1

Yes, yes - hopefully that's all pretty obvious stuff.

My point is really about names. You only have to look at the current Autocar front cover to see this new model described as 'Freelander Mk3', which I think we agree it's not. I do remain to be convinced about the extent to which a Defender replacement can also map effectively into the traditional Freelander space, but I'm totally open to persuasion by the facts, as and when they emerge.

The Freelander name does not exactly have a name of reputation and quality...  especially in the USA and Europe. So I think that is mainly why LR is moving away from those connotations.

Also the new Defender will be a lot further removed from the current utilitarian Defender and will really be a Yeti sort of car - and thus a smaller (current) Freelander. I can already sense that one of the new Defenders will probably be my next car.

As I said, LR made a statement some 18 months ago saying that the Freelander name was being dropped, one of the reasons being that it still attracted negativity following the "problems" with the 1.8 engine and the VCU first fitted. 

There were 2 of these using the Llani, Dylife, Machynlleth road recently but with "hazard pattern" wraps and no makers plates. As Johann says they are about the size of the first Disco but much smaller than the current model.

They certainly won't be a Yeti competitor!!

• Like 1

OH dear...  just noticed a HUGE reason why I won't get this car (assuming I had a spare £40,000):

land-rover-discovery-sport-pn-2014-jud7j

The sunroof is a fishbowl suntrap that can't open at all!!!!!!!!!!!  Urgh.