oil change 2.5 tdi

098Joe

Quick question, can the oil change be done traditional way? Eurocarparts have a good offer on oil and free filter at the mo but I don't fancy those dipstick vacuum devices.

Thanks

Joe  

Yes it can be done, though why would you go through the pain of conventional change when vacuum change takes <15min, takes out more oil than conventional change (there is an extra glass of dirty oil in oil filter/cooler housing) and requires no tools other than the vacuum pump? Your decision though. In any case, change oil on fully warmed up engine to get everything out.

I'm a vac pump convert  :blush:

You won't catch me scrabbling around underneath for oil changes any more.

Used it on my CRX too even though there's easy access to the sump plug.  Makes things whole load easier and reduces mess and potential spillages.

Gaz

Same here, vac pump all the way.

So much easier and  no mess, and takes more oil out than gravity drop!

Get a Hengst filter from GSF or ECP.

Or OEM from dealer.

As winter is coming up, stick some 5W30 into your 2.5 rather than 10W40.

Oh okay so where do I get the vac pump device from please? I didn't think it would get more out than the old way.  Also (oh-superb) 5w30 is the recommended fully synthetic for bdg engine (according to Halfords) and are you still up for helping me with my timing? 

I got this 6.5 litre one from here, which I think is big enough for V6 TDI too?:

http://www.force4.co.uk/860/Pela-650-Heavy-Duty-Cylindrical-Oil-Pump.html  

I think Sealey do a badged version of the same thing for a little less (I bought Pela as I knew the brand)

Apparently the tall ones like this are easier to handle than the short, ball ones.  

I've used mine 4 times in the year or so I've had it and has been great - no worrying about getting the car in the air safely on the driveway and about 15-20mins tops for an oil change.

Just bear in mind there are some cars which can't be done by extraction - for example Audi RS4 - due to baffles in the sump I think http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/302221-DIY-oil-change-with-Pela-extractor?p=4297138&viewfull=1#post4297138

Yes, the tall one is the way to go, Sealey TP69 is what I use, cost £45 on eBay. Ball Pela (6000) would also work but is nowhere near as convenient because you cannot operate it single handed while vacuuming the oil filter housing.

All VW diesels so far can be done using vacuum extractor, I'd imagine RS car engines are closer to racing engines, may not even have a sump as such on some motors.

5W-30 is normal oil for this engine, just make sure it's at least VW505.00, or better VW505.01 or 506.01 or 507 if you like your camshafts and hydraulic valve lifters 

I use 5W-40 all year round, but I often drive at close to full power for several hours at a time (autobahn), so the extra protection is welcome.

Last time I bought TripleQx PD 505.01 5W-40 oil from ECP when it was on sale, there is a sale there now, also for 5W-30, and they throw in a free oil filter, so it is a good value for money. use SUMMER30 promotion code for a £27 oil + Bosch oil filter.

Edited by dieselV6

Did you glue the pump to the bottle? The pump would fall off every time I tried to use it single-handed.

Nah, but I've 50 years experience at being single handed, so am quite adept.  Sit on my bestest tool, Stanley the stool, holding the pump between my knees.  Might look a bit odd from the wrong angle  :blush:  but gets the job done.

G

• Like 1

Oh okay so where do I get the vac pump device from please? I didn't think it would get more out than the old way.  Also (oh-superb) 5w30 is the recommended fully synthetic for bdg engine (according to Halfords) and are you still up for helping me with my timing? 

Yes, no problem, can help with timing her Injection Pump up.  Are your lukewarm or cold starts poor that make you suspect the IP static timing is off?

I have a Sealey TP69, bought off ebay too, it's a good device.

Edited by oh_superb

Remember you hooked it up for me about January when I was a newbie.  I think you said it was slightly retarded.  Warm starts seem to need a bit of churning.  Got the oil done at National Tyres in the end Edge 5 30 and a mann hummel filter for £47.  Hoagy is our mutual friend.

Remember you hooked it up for me about January when I was a newbie.  I think you said it was slightly retarded.  Warm starts seem to need a bit of churning.  Got the oil done at National Tyres in the end Edge 5 30 and a mann hummel filter for £47.  Hoagy is our mutual friend.

Yes, remember that now.  It was a bit retarded indeed.

£47 for that service with that oil is a good price indeed.