06 civic sport cdti - good replacement for an ageing fabia?

skomaz

Just been offered a 55 plate mk8 civic sport cdti with 62k on it by my father in law who has had it side it was a year old with 7k on the clock. It's a pretty decent drive if a harsh ride and a bit 'hard and scratchy' inside but thinking it might be a decent replacement for our Y reg fabia comfort estate TDI with 135k on the clock.

Anyone had one and have any thoughts?

It's a Honda, as you'd expect from them, interior and ride.

Never really done it for me if I'm to be honest, but its an ok engine and reliable. I used to drive a few whilst I worked at Honda, but I just thought it lacked a but of grunt compared to other diesel engines out there.

It wouldn't be my choice but I also wouldn't be sad to be in it.

Boss at work had one before the Porsche. Decent engine and you'll get a reliable 50+ mpg. Is it the 2.2 or the 1.8? The interior is a bit marmite but personally I loved it and it's the standard Honda reliability (which is fact, unlike the VAG reliability thing which is pretty good but mostly marketing in my opinion). Was traded in at 220k, aside from standard servicing all it had had was a few new suspension bushes and still drove like new.

One nice thing is that the rear seats fold completely flat, so if you need to transport anything you get VERY generous load area in the rear. Not seen this on pretty much any other similar car before or since.

Boss at work had one before the Porsche. Decent engine and you'll get a reliable 50+ mpg. Is it the 2.2 or the 1.8? The interior is a bit marmite but personally I loved it and it's the standard Honda reliability (which is fact, unlike the VAG reliability thing which is pretty good but mostly marketing in my opinion). Was traded in at 220k, aside from standard servicing all it had had was a few new suspension bushes and still drove like new.

One nice thing is that the rear seats fold completely flat, so if you need to transport anything you get VERY generous load area in the rear. Not seen this on pretty much any other similar car before or since.

Ok, it's an estate, but if I slide the front seats forward a bit, the rear in my Octy folds flat. 

Lol. Sorry, just read that back and I really make no sense. What I mean is they fold *up* flat, rather than fold *down* flat like in most cars (although they can do that too).

2011-Honda-Fit-Interior-Fold-Up-Rear-Sea

If that makes sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers for the feedback!

The car is a 2.2 CDTi and I'd probably get it for a very good price but I've a few reservations about living with the ride and the potential for rattles and reliability issues (hard plastic interior and 10 recalls to-date from what I can discern).  I only drive it a few times a year at the minute when we are visiting (it's in Northern Ireland and I'm in mainland UK) so was after some honest feedback from those who've owned and can do a direct comparison.  He and his wife like it but it's just starting to be difficult for the to get in and out of, so they are considering something a bit taller, and they think it's starting to get a bit long in the tooth (for me it's only just run-in :D ).

The interior is definitely a marmite job but I can probably get used to that having had slightly quirky japanese cars before (Mistubishi's for example with switches on top of the instrument cluster) but also hate rattles...

The Fabia it would replace has been pretty fantastic really since new but is starting to show it's age and, whilst in very good condition for the mileage and age is still very reliable.  It is starting to cost occasionally though and I'm also aware that it will probably need a clutch sometime soon (It can judder and whilst I drive around this foible the wife struggles).  I'm therefore slightly wary of jumping from a potential frying pan into a fire, especially as it's not like I can have it for an extended test drive given it's location!

Having said that I guess I could try it and, even it I find I don't like it, would probably be able to sell it on and cover costs - certainly the 220k comment is encouraging as I tend to keep my cars for a long time and high mileages...

Edit: - forgot to say the load carrying capability is a nice touch but I'll still have the Octy Estate to hand (which swallowwed a three seater sofa easily the other day!)

Edited by skomaz

I've accord with the newer 2.2DTECH.

I didn't like the interior of the Civic. I especially didn't like the rear view which is terrible.

Well made, but a bit eccentric.

I miss the logic of the VAG group where everything is well laid out and makes sense.

The Japanese like buttons, everywhere.

Chain cam on the engines which is appealing.

I know someone who owned one of those from new.  He couldn't fault it at all in terms of engineering but sold it after a few months, the reason was that it was just so boring.  There wasn't anything to dislike he said but there wasn't anything to like either.  It did everything he wanted really well but not well enough for it to bond with the car.

I've accord with the newer 2.2DTECH.

I didn't like the interior of the Civic. I especially didn't like the rear view which is terrible.

Well made, but a bit eccentric.

I miss the logic of the VAG group where everything is well laid out and makes sense.

The Japanese like buttons, everywhere.

Chain cam on the engines which is appealing.

Hmmm - I'don't think I've ever reversed it but do have a tight parking space at work that I need to reverse into with a column one side, a big people carrier the other, another car ahead in my swept path and a wall behind!  I've got parking in the Fabia and MX5 off to a tee but the Octavia can be tricky so a good point to raise - especially since it has no reversing sensors...

Well made is encouraging, Cam chain also ...

I know someone who owned one of those from new.  He couldn't fault it at all in terms of engineering but sold it after a few months, the reason was that it was just so boring.  There wasn't anything to dislike he said but there wasn't anything to like either.  It did everything he wanted really well but not well enough for it to bond with the car.

to be honest that is probably what I want - a reliable work hack that does what it does well and is reasonably well thought out - I have the MX5 for enjoyment.

Is he giving you it? If so, what is it they say about gift horses and mouths :)

No but not far off if I'm honest by the time I've flogged the Fabia...   which is why it's tempting.  Trouble is the Fabia has given me such good service over the last 13.5 years and 135k I'm loathe to get rid...

But I need to decide over the next week or two really as he's already trawling dealerships for a new car and needs to know if he's trading in or not  :sweat:

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 1

Honda motors are not the most economical.

But that's maybe why they last.

DTECH I get about 47. If the Civic is non-DPF it might be better, smaller too.

The car is a 2.2 CDTi and I'd probably get it for a very good price but I've a few reservations about living with the ride and the potential for rattles and reliability issues (hard plastic interior and 10 recalls to-date from what I can discern).

I wouldn't worry about the recalls, the difference with the Japanese manufacturers is that they recall because it is the right thing to do, VAG only recall when forced to by VOSA.

They sometimes sneak the odd 'service campaign' in to repair defects under the radar (but only if you use their dealer network) but it is rare you'll see VAG holding up their hands and admitting they screwed up.

Toyota get quite a lot of stick for the number of high profile recalls they've had recently. It has the opposite effect on me, I admire them for doing what's right.

The fact that the Civic has had 10 fixes says to me the car is now good for reliable trouble-free motoring.

Keep any comments coming guys - it's all useful and from what I'm hearing there seems to nothing fundamental to put me off.  I checked the insurance out before I left work and its only a few quid more than the Fabia so no deal breaker.

All the reviews say it's reliable and it has no dpf so that's good as well.  My Father in Law reckons he gets about 45 to 55 mpg out of it depending on how much town driving he does so, whilst it's probably not as economical as the Fabia so again it's not a deal breaker.   And Celtic do a Stage 1 map to 190-ish bhp  :D

The only potential big downside from a trawl of the forums seems to be that it is an early car which may have a weak clutch so need to check that but then he's never had an issue and it doesn't have cruise control which was apparently part of the issue.

The interior is wacky but I'm sure I'll get used to it and thinking about it my MX5 is on uprated Koni's so it's not like I'm not used to a firm ride!

I think I'm almost sold on the idea of the change...   just need to find out if he's sorted anything out yet and how to get it back here (looks like a family flight over and a ferry back...)

Anyone know what an ATD PD 100 Fabia Estate Comfort with AC is worth with 135k miles, a full history, recently serviced with new brakes all round decent tyres and a CD multichanger?

Edited by skomaz

This was mine:

DSCF0087.jpg

Is the one youre after similar?

That looks great in red!

The one I've been offered is the same model year shape but a January 06 so a couple of years older. It's also a four door with the full width clear grill, is in silver and has that same style wheels and factory xenons but no fog lights. The interior is a two tone cloth from memory with a grey dash.

Basically the same as this but with OE wheels like yours www.allvehicles.co.uk/2005_new_shape_honda_civic_cdti_sport_for_sale_55.htm

One of the girls at work has a 1.8 petrol Civic. She loves it and hasn't has any bother in the 2yr they've had it. It's probably an 08/09.

My wife has got a Honda Civic 1.8S. It's her third Honda (all petrol vehicles) and aside from their annual service, they have never had to visit the garage.

You've identified the fact that the diesel can suffer clutch problems and this appears to be a well documented fault with them. The 2.2 diesel is also known to like a drop of oil too, so keep an eye on that.

Have a look at this forum. It's a mine of information and they're a nice bunch of people too.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/

As for the driving experience, I can only speak as I find and I bloody hate driving her car! The switch gear is spread like **** in a field and nothing is in any logical order.

The rear view is almost non existent due to the rear spoiler obscuring the view and this is exacerbated when it rains due to a lack of a rear wash / wipe.

I also find the handling to be very vague and without much driver feedback.

As ChrisRs stated, the paint is very thin and soft and overall feel of the car is cheap in comparison to my Octavia. The doors don't close with a thud but with a tinny 'ding' and the interior materials feel cheap too.

However that's my opinion and it doesn't detract from the fact that they are a very popular & on the whole reliable car.

Good luck with your decision and I hope this helps.

My wife has got a Honda Civic 1.8S. It's her third Honda (all petrol vehicles) and aside from their annual service, they have never had to visit the garage.

You've identified the fact that the diesel can suffer clutch problems and this appears to be a well documented fault with them. The 2.2 diesel is also known to like a drop of oil too, so keep an eye on that.

Have a look at this forum. It's a mine of information and they're a nice bunch of people too.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/

As for the driving experience, I can only speak as I find and I bloody hate driving her car! The switch gear is spread like **** in a field and nothing is in any logical order.

As ChrisRs stated, the paint is very thin and soft and overall feel of the car is cheap in comparison to my Octavia. The doors don't close with a thud but with a tinny 'ding' and the interior materials feel cheap too.

Lol I just made the same points on a Honda forum. You get used to the switch gear. It's not all that bad but a long way away from the logic and efficiency of a German engineer.

And the wiper control is upside down, that one still gets me.

No argued about the switch gear but they didn't like that fact I missed the German thump of the Octy doors. I don't think it really is tinny rathe the Germans have spent a lot of time and money perfecting a solid door closing sound. The Japanese just make sure the door closes every time.

• Like 1

Right then - an update.

My father in law has now ordered his new car (high spec Civic Tourer Diesel) and we've said we'll have his old Civic - it seems daft not to miss the opportunity for a car that is 5 years younger with less than half the mileage that is in good condition, well looked after and effectively a class up from the Fabia.  I'd been pondering changing the latter anyhow so had been thinking about what I might get instead and, whilst an 8th Gen Civic wasn't on the list, it should at least be a good bet from the comments on here and what I've read on the Civinfo forum.  It'll also work out cheaper to change as well as I would have had to spend significantly more to get anything similar in terms of spec, mileage and condition.

We'll need to keep the Fabia until we get hold of the Civic due to not having business insurance on my MX5 and that means that once we get the Civic we'll have four cars knocking about...  :sweat:     but hopefully I'll be able to sell the Fabia relatively quickly and easily if I get the price right as it's in good nick with a full history.

The only issue now is the timing of delivery of my father in laws new car, which is dependant upon when they can get one in the required spec and colour over from Mainland England to Northern Ireland and the logistics of us getting the old one the other direction.

So thanks for all the feedback guys - it's helped make my mind up (and has already led to me registering on Civinfo, ordering a new gear knob for a Civic and being on the lookout for some Type-S fog light blanks or a way of getting some DRL's in the current ones...   :D  )

• Like 2