gearbox removal

dave190

Hi guys and gals.

whos removed gearbox on a vrs mk 1?

Can i just take put a few ball joints and pull the driveshafts out the box?

as any one got a procedure on whats the quickest easiest way to do it?

much appreciated

Dave

The shafts bolt to flanges on the box and require a spline bit, M10 I think, but don't quote me on it, it's been a while. Like with any car, unbolt everything around the box and make sure everything is fully supported before separating the engine and box.  A haynes manual is very handy for detailing the process. Octavia boxes are very heavy so don't do what I did and drop it on your finger :D

It's not that hard but it's time consuming on ramps in a garage.

I did it on my own, even removed the gearbox itself using two trolley jacks. It weighs about 45kg.

I needed a mate to help me get it back in though.

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/polo-mk3/power_transmission/5-speed_manual_gearbox_02j/gearbox_mechanicsoperation_constructiondiff./removing_and_installing_gearbox/

10968974874_b5097a2f20_b.jpg

10969023044_8e039d1b43_b.jpg

10968999144_c6f6b22378_b.jpg

• Like 1

5spd is easy to remove/install by 1 person, 6spd definitely takes 2 people to do. With 5-speed, watch out for airco pipes below the gearbox, with 6-spd they are close to top of the box and out of the way. I did a full 5spd to 6spd gearbox swap about 11 years ago to a Mk1 Octy 1.9TDI110, quite a job but was worth it in fuel savings on autobahn alone.

• 2 weeks later...