3.6 wanted.

Hello all, well its time to permanently  park my Nissan shopping car at the supermarket with the rest of the shopping trollys and move up to a Superb v6.

Only problem is finding a car,i know they drink petrol,expensive to tax etc,etc but I don't care.

I am after an estate,around 3 year old,not massive miles,service history and maybe a few extras like sunset glass and a proper spare wheel,i am prepared to travel nationally to find one.

Only 1 advertised at the moment which at a compromise suits my interest, at a car supermarket type of place in Southampton.

Any info regarding problems/issues with these car would be very welcome.

Any info where I can locate one of these cars also very welcome.

Thank you.

James.

PS.this post is not for advertising.

• Like 2

Main issue is the 3.6V6 engine's thirst. If you can live with that, there is a DSG to think about as it is a used car, clutch pack replacement cost is over a grand, any serious repair and you are in for several grand worth of repairs.

I considered it for a moment as a new car purchase after Audi axed 4wd manual 3.0 A6 diesels and my Octy 1 got written off, but the thirst of this engine coupled to normal sized fuel tank meant that range on autobahn at speed was well under 2 hrs. With this and the autobox's limited mileage durability compared to manual gearbox, I decided to keep Superb 1 (2.5 manual diesel) till it dies.

There is a general point on buying any used car with powerful engine, someone might have well used the full power of this engine, so I'd check things like the DSG box, the driveshafts, the bearings, full wheel alignment and emissions (cats) before parting with my money.

Edited by dieselV6

I got my 3.6 estate from autotrader approximately 4 weeks ago. I have not heard of any common problems with the 3.6. When I got my car I just did all the usual checks you would do with any car pressed and tested all buttons and functions, listened to the engine from cold and took it on an extensive test drive and tested out all the gearbox settings and listened for any strange noises.

It's a lovely car to drive the only downsides being fuel consumption, road tax and the fact that it's missing the 40 bhp that the Passat r36 has with the same engine.

Main issue is the 3.6V6 engine's thirst. If you can live with that, there is a DSG to think about as it is a used car, clutch pack replacement cost is over a grand, any serious repair and you are in for several grand worth of repairs.

I considered it for a moment as a new car purchase after Audi axed 4wd manual 3.0 A6 diesels and my Octy 1 got written off, but the thirst of this engine coupled to normal sized fuel tank meant that range on autobahn at speed was well under 2 hrs. With this and the autobox's limited mileage durability compared to manual gearbox, I decided to keep Superb 1 (2.5 manual diesel) till it dies.

There is a general point on buying any used car with powerful engine, someone might have well used the full power of this engine, so I'd check things like the DSG box, the driveshafts, the bearings, full wheel alignment and emissions (cats) before parting with my money.

Thank you Diesel v6 for your reply,good  to be reminded that a powerful car will have been pushed to its limits in the past and faults could occur sooner than expected,ie Dsg.

No idea what part of the country you are in but there is one in Southampton for a touch under 13k

http://www.imperialcarsupermarkets.co.uk/used-car/skoda/superb/u15677/36-v6-elegance-4x4-5dr-dsg/

Hi The Zee,yes I have seen that car advertised.On their advert it says its manual and not 4x4 so I am tempted away from them as if they cant get basic info correct,what else could be incorrect,also seen some reviews so I will hold on to my cash for the time being but never say never.

Thank you for your reply.

I got my 3.6 estate from autotrader approximately 4 weeks ago. I have not heard of any common problems with the 3.6. When I got my car I just did all the usual checks you would do with any car pressed and tested all buttons and functions, listened to the engine from cold and took it on an extensive test drive and tested out all the gearbox settings and listened for any strange noises.

It's a lovely car to drive the only downsides being fuel consumption, road tax and the fact that it's missing the 40 bhp that the Passat r36 has with the same engine.

Hi Chunk11,Thanks for the reply.I check autotrader on a regular basis (daily) but you got in before me :devil: .

The extensive road test is a good idea,some supermarket places just allow for a very brief test drive often just around their own trading estate which I think is very poor.

Is it an option to shop abroad like Holland.

Because there is one about €30000

http://www.autoscout24.nl/Details.aspx?id=238738178

Hi superb32,yes I visit the Netherlands every 3 weeks (my profile pic could explain why) but I have never thought of buying a car there,i will consider buying a new car there Rhd in time but I usually spend my cash in more interesting places than car dealers whilst in the Netherlands :beer:  :beer:  :beer:  :happy:  :coffee:  :thumbup: .

Thanks for your reply.

• Like 1

Hi The Zee,yes I have seen that car advertised.On their advert it says its manual and not 4x4 so I am tempted away from them as if they cant get basic info correct,what else could be incorrect,also seen some reviews so I will hold on to my cash for the time being but never say never.

Thank you for your reply.

Agree the ad is wrongly worded, it could have been checked better. Out of interest the Suzuki Jimny automatic is often described with a five speed auto box by many advertisers when it only has ever had a four. I wonder if there is some stock wording available to the motor trade that gets used. With so many variants of many cars it's no wonder it sometimes goes wrong.

I reckon a sensible offer would secure Leon's 3.6 V6.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/284803-my-v6-twindoor-10000-miles-on-from-collecting-it-back-in-august/

He's been looking for an excuse to order a facelift 3.6 for a while now :D

Haha I've been getting quotes. Happy to sell mine at the right price of course!

The v6 is great.

• Like 1

Hi everyone this is my first post!

Just thought I would share my experience picking up my 3.6 last Monday.

I paid £10200 for a twin door in black with 31500k miles on it. It had a FSH and new Goodyear tyres and disks and pads all round

The optional extras where paddle shift, sun blinds,

So far I have changed the Bluetooth module to one that works with iPhones and updated the sat nav to v10 maps.

Before I purchased the car I had by brother in law who works for the Rac to check over the car and plug his laptop in and look for any old fault codes. At first this was a bit scary as it through up a few old codes. He reset the codes and we went for a long test drive. This resulted in no more error codes so I was happy that all the old fault codes where now fixed.

The car has been excellent so far and I'm really likeing the v6 power and noise. If you can find the right one I would say definitely go for it. It is a lot of car for the money and one I can see giving me lots of pleasure over the next few years.

I have also taken out a warrenty with warrenty direct at a cost of £399 for 13 months. Mostly for some piece of mind.

Good luck with your search.

• Like 1

Before I purchased the car I had by brother in law who works for the Rac to check over the car and plug his laptop in and look for any old fault codes. At first this was a bit scary as it through up a few old codes. He reset the codes and we went for a long test drive. This resulted in no more error codes so I was happy that all the old fault codes where now fixed.

Welcome to Briskoda :sun:

Did you make a note of the fault codes?

I didn't make a note of the exact codes but I do remember that one referred to low fuel rail pressure (I think or something similar) and also a wheel sensor fault that I think may have been related to having the new tyres and brakes fitted, but I'm no expert. I'm still loving the car. Only small niggle I have is that the seat memory seems to be intermittent. I've set it like the book says but sometimes it just isn't right and I have to hold the button down when I get in to put the memory position in.

For safety the seat should only stay moving while you hold the button down - imagine the consequences of the settings getting messed up either accidentally or deliberately if the seat position was against the wheel and it went for that after a single button press...

The procedure for setting the seat position with the key is a bit more involved (I followed it straight from the manual, but you have to do things in the right order, you also can set the dipped rear view mirror position when you select reverse as part of this process) - I'm not even sure I have it done correctly on my car, but I'm the only one who drives it usually, so I only have to reset the seat the odd time I lend the car to someone else. Chances are though that the car has a position remembered for the key you're using and it goes to that position when you unlock the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all again,well my search continues :angel:

Thank you all for the info.All very interesting :angel:.

I have seen a New one that suits (nearly)  my shopping list an  L&K estate. but the interior is ivory/beige with a large sunroof,if this car had no sun roof I would be at the dealers now or if the interior was brown with sun roof I would be driving it now.

Question,does the sun roof have a metal cover than can conceal the glass.(security reasons).

Does the sun roof impede the internal roof height. ie tall people banging head on sunroof surround.

I am looking for an estate,L&K possibly but if other cars have extras I am happy to discuss. Less than 3 years of age with paperwork.approx 12000 miles per year. Dark bodywork colour preferred and dark interior, oh and if it has a proper spare wheel along with the spacesaver toytown wheel (the full size wheel can easily be tied down in the large boot).I do long journeys through different countries.

Happy to discuss my requirements either trade or private...

James.

• Like 2

Check the following thread:

3.6 4x4 pricing / anyone know this car?

The twindoor has a massive very useful boot with very easy access in hatchback mode. Bit like the old Saab 9000 Hatchback size wise. Mine is the Petrol Blue which is a reasonably dark colour with the black leather. Blue looks lovely when polished, changes colour slightly according to the light.

Both newbies so can't PM you I think.

• 4 weeks later...