ABS, ESP and TYRE warning lights

Driving in the vrs and ping all 3 lights pop up. I ignore it thinking it will go away. After 200 miles they are still there.

Obviously the car is more than driveable, why the **** modern cars have sensors is beyond me but that's another story.

So has anyone had all 3, if so what was it? 

I'm guessing I need to invest in some sort of reader, I have them for the bikes but they aren't compatible for the motor.

If so what do I need.

Can the warnings just be cancelled rather than fix a ****ing pointless sensor.

how old?

do any of them clear below 30mph?

If not and your 2007-2009 might be teves Mk60 issue.

If they clear probably a sensor/hub probably rear left.

I have the same issue on my 07 TDI VRS, abs light only at start up, this goes out at about 5 mph, then all three come on above 15 to 20 mph. Have replaced all 4 abs sensors with no effect. 

Do I need the fault cleared from the car's memory to stop the lights?

Cheers

Edited by muddybuddy

starts with abs, that might go off, but yes there has been moments below 30 that they have all went off and I have yelled "woo".

Only for them to pop up again, must be over 30.

is there away to disconnect the warning lights, purely only for MOT?

I'm not actually bothered if I have faulty sensors, if something is up with my car ill know.

I have the same issue on my 07 TDI VRS, abs light only at start up, this goes out at about 5 mph, then all three come on above 15 to 20 mph. Have replaced all 4 abs sensors with no effect. 

Do I need the fault cleared from the car's memory to stop the lights?

Cheers

Have you checked the hubs?  There is a magnetic toothed ring in the wheel hub which works with the ABS sensor for the system to function, it seems to be relatively common for this part to corrode over time and stop functioning which will generate the symptoms you've mentioned.  Unfortunately the toothed ring isn't a separate part, the hub itself needs to be replaced - this is the error from my car when the hub needed replaced:

00290 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Left (G46) 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

00290 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Left (G46) 003 - Mechanical Failure - Intermittent

The mechanic recognised it straight away and said it was the ring that needed replaced, he did that and no issues afterwards.

John

• Like 1

Have you checked the hubs?  There is a magnetic toothed ring in the wheel hub which works with the ABS sensor for the system to function, it seems to be relatively common for this part to corrode over time and stop functioning which will generate the symptoms you've mentioned.  Unfortunately the toothed ring isn't a separate part, the hub itself needs to be replaced - this is the error from my car when the hub needed replaced:

00290 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Left (G46) 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

00290 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Left (G46) 003 - Mechanical Failure - Intermittent

The mechanic recognised it straight away and said it was the ring that needed replaced, he did that and no issues afterwards.

John

Thanks John, I am starting to suspect the rear LH hub ring is faulty. I will have the codes read tomorrow to confirm, I'll be looking for something similar to the codes you suggest.

I have an Octavia 2007 VRS and I had the same light come up and  after checking my battery I noticed  through the little glass it was black instead of green, so as the battery was the original I got a heavy duty one after this was connected all the light went out. Skoda recommend after 6 years replacing the battery. So I saved a lot of money from not finding this out at the garage.

Again this morning ABS light comes on, goes off coming out of my street then bang all three pop up, go off then back on.

I suspect its not the teves issue.

I'll check the battery tonight, that could be it.

I'll need to get myself a code reader.

incidentally how much is it to get a new fitted?

Doesn't sound like the Teves but a sensor.

+1 on what JohnMcL7 posted.

With the wheel off and your head in the arch you can just see the ring through a hole in the hub. If you can rotate the hub you can check for missing bits.

Easier with a code reader.

If you're changing the hub do the stone guard at the same time.

A but like the water-pump and cambelt argument it's easier to do it at the same time and doesn't cost much. But it's a PITA if it rots and comes loose.

How much do you want to pay for a code reader ?

How much do you want the code reader to do ( i.e. functions) and what you want it to cover this will prob reflect in the price.

Price's from £10 - £100's

Edited by Darren F

How much do you want to pay for a code reader ?

How much do you want the code reader to do ( i.e. functions) and what you want it to cover this will prob reflect in the price.

Price's from £10 - £100's

What one would pick up a code like this?

I ripped the rear stone guard off after it caught and destroyed its mounting bolts, this could be a result of this.

I've got one of these -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SuperScan-VS450-OBDII-Scantool-Reader/dp/B001A33HAG/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1410265014&sr=1-2&keywords=vw+code+reader

I think I paid £35 off Ebay.

I knobbled one of the magnetic rings on mine taking off a knackered stone guard.

Linky

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/272214-faulty-abs-sensor-unable-to-set-steering-angle-sensor/

Scanner is handy anyway.

Edited by Aspman

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds a bit steep.

I was about 80 for a VAG hub, 20 for the stone guard and 50 for the sensor. Was only about an hour labour to fit so about 220 all in. No scan needed since I told him which wheel. You don't always need a new sensor, only if the rotten magnet has damaged it.

I used a local VAG indy.

Crichton Donaldson in Perth if you don't mind the drive up.

Edited by Aspman

• 5 years later...

Hi guys. New to the feed and after a bit of advice. Ripped off the corroded rear heat shield off and may have damaged the abs sensor or the magnetic ring as my dashboard had lit up with 3 warning lights. Abs/esp and tyre pressure sensor. 

Is it still safe to drive until I can afford to have it repaired? 

Thanks in advance 

12 hours ago, Gavalar25 said:

3 warning lights. Abs/esp and tyre pressure sensor

As long as you're aware that the ABS, ESP and pressure sensors (which all use the same electronics) may not be functioning correctly and check the tyre pressures all round manually, yes.