Sort of 'crunching' noise from my vRS - mystery

daz1412

So a few weeks ago I had my car in full lock and I pulled of heard something of a crunching sound from the front left. To me it sounded like a bush was out. so as my car was booked in at skoda to have the gearbox oil changed I kindly asked the guy to have a look. he kindly told me with confidence right away that it was the ball join on the passenger side. 

So I went ahead and replaced the ball joint which in fact has not fixed the problem at all but it did need doing anyway. I have now realized that it doesn't only happen when I full lock left but also when I full lock right it makes the same sound behind the right wheel.

I've had her up on the ramps and I seriously have no idea what this could be. nothing blatantly obvious. 

Anybody got any ideas what could be causing this? it sounds terribly nasty.

It's hard to describe the sound precisely. i'll check it out asap. would it be likely that this would happen on both sides though?

the speed at which I turn the steerin wheel doesn't matter. just tends to be when im at full lock and pull off. It does happen on the odd occasion other than that though.

Edited by daz1412

Normally noises when moving on full lock relates to CV joints.

It's possible they have both gone.

I had this on an old citroen ZX. One CV joint went and had it replaced. Literally 2 days later the other one went!

Phil

Where did you get your cv joints from buddy? Is it just me or does it sound really unhealthy?

I'll proceed to change everything listed piece by piece on the drivers side, once/if I single out what it is I'll let you know! Any other suggestions guys?

Thanks mate. Got them from Andrew Page. They had to order them in. I had a right palava sourcing them. Just make sure they list as the right car. Mine listed as a 1.4mpi at first. The guy had to do a bit of messing about to get it to list right. If they tell you they dont supply them. Get them to ring shaftec (spelt something like that). Quite expensive though in comparison to othet cars. I look forward to your diagnosis by process of elimination. Do you have lowering springs fitted? Just wondering if it has anything to do with that as thats when I really noticed mine.

Thanks mate. Got them from Andrew Page. They had to order them in. I had a right palava sourcing them. Just make sure they list as the right car. Mine listed as a 1.4mpi at first. The guy had to do a bit of messing about to get it to list right. If they tell you they dont supply them. Get them to ring shaftec (spelt something like that). Quite expensive though in comparison to othet cars. I look forward to your diagnosis by process of elimination. Do you have lowering springs fitted? Just wondering if it has anything to do with that as thats when I really noticed mine.

Having lowering springs could have a bearing on this as it will change the angle of the drive shafts, in my previous life as a MINI owner this was also a regular forum entry. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi guys - Just resurrecting this thread. Recently been trying to find this problem. so i'll tell you the story to date.

When in for my oil test the kind mechanic notified me of a passenger side ball joint. So i changed this not expecting it to change anything - I was right. 

I recently had 2 new front tyres put on due to abnormal wear and had my tracking done at the same time. The guy had a quick look at my CV joints and droplinks and said they're looking perfect. When I tried to get the crunch to happen to show the guy it wouldn't happen. pulled up outside my house, set off again and the law of sod... the crunch happened. It's not as often and it isn't as bad. 

The kind guy at the garage suggested a problem with the steering rack maybe, what do you think? im starting to lose hope in finding this problem now. 

sparkly mentioned top mounts, I had these "go" on my grande punto..

basically your top mount should turn when you turn the wheel, if it sticks the spring will grab, grind, then sometimes clunk as it suddenly manages to turn (metal against metal) and if the top mount(s) is sticking, sometimes it may move normally giving NO sound :) , if its a metally springy grindy sound, this could be it, they were about £40 on the punto...

A quick look at the CV might be the issue. Someone doing proper looks would be better. Rather than kind people at garages making suggestions get a mechanic that can check and know what they are looking at.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Okay, well first off i'll change the top mounts. see if that sorts the problem. If not then i'll get a professional to have a look at it! for £40 or so i'd rather give it a go before paying for someone to have a look! 

I was told that if it was my CV joints it would usually make a sound when cornering, is that right?

They will be needing to check the bearings.

Do not go changing top mounts or anything else until you know what is the cause / issue.

What miles has the car done?

If the car was in getting the DSG Campaign work, that should have been a Professional working on the car.

Did the Oil get changed, and the ECU update,

Sticker or stamp in Sevice Book and Sticker in the boot?

Edited by goneoffSKi