Front and rear suspension

marky v

I only ever seen to post when I have a problem. So apologies, but here goes

My car has just been in for some minor work. Oil and filter change, sort a slight oil leak, and replace my electric air con fan. Whilst stripping it all down, they noticed the water pump was leaking, so the belt and pump has all been replaced under warranty.

Now to the problem, I mentioned to the mechanic that my MOT is due to expire in 6 weeks, he tells me my shockers are all knackered. So I want to replace the lot, springs and all. Including bump stops, and any bushes and bearings. I'm going to get the KYB Excel gas shocks and matching springs, it's the other bits I need to know for sure whilst I'm at it.

All help and advice appreciated guys. Many thanks in advance.

How many miles has it done?  Mine is on 123,000 miles, on all original suspension items.  Previous MOT tester (12 months ago, at 96,000 miles) put on an advisory about some minimal misting on two shocks.  This MOT just done a week ago didn't spot anything at issue with the suspension at all.

Sounds like a lot of work to do to the car.

Unfortunately, my car has 210,000!! It passed it's last MOT with not even an advisory on them, but I did contemplate changing it all because the car does "wallow around" a fair bit. He was good as gold and honest, and said I didn't need to do the springs if I didn't really want to, but at that mileage, I'm thinking while it's apart, I might as well do the springs too for the sake of another £100 or so in parts. Equally, that's why I'm considering new bearings and bushes etc too. But as a very basic home mechanic, I will leave the changing of it to the guys at the garage. I'm a taxi driver, and the firm I work for have their own garage, they've serviced and maintained my car from 2,500 miles, so I do trust their judgment. Don't want to have to go back for more work if a spring just happens to let go in a few thousand miles just because I scrimped.

lol I saw the age and assumed it might have less miles :)  Hope mine gets to 210,000! :)

Sounds like you have a good route to get it done...  The guys on here who have upgraded their suspension rate the bilstein kit :)

If you want to change just the shocks, hard to go wrong with Bilstein Sport B6 monotubes all round. They are also very durable. But whatever you go for, be prepared to fight the pich bolts...unless they were greased at least once.

Just another quick question for the knowledgeable tech guys. Is the rear suspension exactly the same as the passat? I only ask, because I've managed to source the shockers and springs front and rear from KYB, the front mounting kit too. But I'm struggling with the front protection kit, rear protection kit and mounting kit. The passat looks to use the same shocker, different spring part number, but I understand it to fit? I think I may have to ring kyb and check if you guys can't help. Thanks as always

• 5 months later...

Hey marky, how did you get on with the KYB kit.  What rear springs have you got, RX6650?  I've just fitted Bilstein B4 shocks and need a couple of rear springs now.