Upgrading Standard Brake Setup

Hi guys,

Need some advice. My standard brakes are due a change.

My question is... Is it worth upgrading the pads and discs to something like Brembos??

I've been given a quote by a local garage to replace the standard brake pads and disc for OEM for £240...

I can handle a spanner and think I may do this myself.

Not looking to spend over £250 for all bits.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Hi guys,

Need some advice. My standard brakes are due a change.

My question is... Is it worth upgrading the pads and discs to something like Brembos??

I've been given a quote by a local garage to replace the standard brake pads and disc for OEM for £240...

I can handle a spanner and think I may do this myself.

Not looking to spend over £250 for all bits.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Unless your talking about upgrading the calipers I doubt you will notice much difference. you mention discs and pads. Pads can make a bit

of difference but you might as well get mintex or pagid. I have ebc redstuff but only so they create less brake dust makes cleaning the wheels

easier. They do have less fade and a bit more stopping power but you loose initial bite strength from cold so for normal commuting they might

actually feel worse than standard oems. The discs are the same you might get a bit less fade if you have vented drilled and grooved. But the

difference will be negligible unless you go bigger. I'd Save your cash from buying brand names and just get pagid or mintex pads and discs.

change the hoses to braided. it will feel a touch better and save some cash.

You could swap the pads and disks for Brembo versions but the results might not be massively better. For that sort of money I'd buy new disks, Ferrodo ds2500 pads and then either ate super blue fluid if its going to be driven really hard or stainless lines I ultimate pedal feel is more important. :)

• Like 1

Just changed discs and pads on mine and went for standard discs and yellow stuff pads. Stops much better now, not had chance to test for fade after lots of heavy braking. Would have liked to have gone for r32 setup or Porsche brembo setup but funds didn't stretch

Well £250 won't buy you much real improvement in the wonderful world of brakes.

New discs and proper decent pads like the suggested DS2500's.

I currently have some Padgid, but I can't remember which grade, but they are errr fine.

I've fitted stainless braided brake lines to most of my bikes and never felt any noticeable improvement.

Brake fluid should be changed every couple of years anyway, as it absorbs moisture which dramatically lowers its boiling point, which will end your efforts at stopping.

Make sure the bleeding is done correctly.

Is this just a "coz I wanna" or because "I do trackdays and they give up"? Drilled or grooved may be your idea of flash but offer little to help, except the holes will likely cause cracks if used hard.

The next noticeable step up is something like the Porsche caliper swop, ie the NQSBBK, which will cost upwards of £400, and some effort from you.

• Like 1

Well £250 won't buy you much real improvement in the wonderful world of brakes.

New discs and proper decent pads like the suggested DS2500's.

I currently have some Padgid, but I can't remember which grade, but they are errr fine.

I've fitted stainless braided brake lines to most of my bikes and never felt any noticeable improvement.

Brake fluid should be changed every couple of years anyway, as it absorbs moisture which dramatically lowers its boiling point, which will end your efforts at stopping.

Make sure the bleeding is done correctly.

Is this just a "coz I wanna" or because "I do trackdays and they give up"? Drilled or grooved may be your idea of flash but offer little to help, except the holes will likely cause cracks if used hard.

The next noticeable step up is something like the Porsche caliper swop, ie the NQSBBK, which will cost upwards of £400, and some effort from you.

The reason for asking is... As I'm already in need of new discs and pads is there much point going for a bit of an upgrade.

I do like the drilled and grooved disc look... But not that bothered if it's of no real benefit.

Might go down the road of standard discs and uprated pads...

• 2 weeks later...

Been out for a drive today to skim the finish off the discs. Can hear like a whooshing noise when applying brakes... Guess that's the grooves. Feel good already and no where near bedded in! Will pop some more pics up soon.

Yes, its the grooves (and the reason I stay away from them. Drilled disks can also be prone to cracking). What pads did you go for - cant make them out on the phone but guessing Mintex 1144's from what I can see? :)

Yes, its the grooves (and the reason I stay away from them. Drilled disks can also be prone to cracking). What pads did you go for - cant make them out on the phone but guessing Mintex 1144's from what I can see? :)

Yeah Mintex 1144's. The discs are dimpled not drilled. Decided drilled sounded like too much hassle.

The noise is really minimal. Can only hear at low speeds with window down.

Will the discs stay black is It like anodising or will the silver and rust come through?

The disc surface that comes into contact with the pads has worn off leaving the standard silvery finish. The finish protects the disc from rust.

Yeah Mintex 1144's. The discs are dimpled not drilled. Decided drilled sounded like too much hassle.

The noise is really minimal. Can only hear at low speeds with window down.

Good all round pads imo. Yup, I can see the dimples - I just don't touch either grooved or drilled - the grooved ones generally get louder the faster you are going ie they are rotating quicker. If I was going to spend a lot of time on track id consider making the compromise... possibly. Hope they perform as expected when bedded in fully. :)

The dimples are just cosmetic to give the appearance of drilled discs without the practical channeling of heat into the Vent Gap. they will just get filled up with deposits after a bit they just reduce the surface area incontact with the pad so in effect useless imo. The grooves will help with temps but as already identified will cause unwanted noise.

• 1 year later...