Fault codes on Mk 1 fabia 1.4 mpi

Tallboy

Hi chaps n chapesses 

My wife's w plate fabia  1.4 mpi was just serviced 2 week ago. Having a few battery charging issues so i took it to have checks on battery and alternator all was ok but fitted new battery anyway. on way back bout 4 miles in car was struggling up hill had to gear down. then went really lumpy and missing finally gave up the ghost n cut out totally. it turns over like a good un and tries to start but cuts out under load n ticks over very rough. had it plugged in by mobile diagnostic chap n 3 codes came up. Can any body point me in the right direction please ???

code 16725-PO341 ??

code 16706-PO322 ??

code 17978= PO1570?? 

Please advise as our bloss loves the car and obviously as i was driving it at the time ITS MY FAULT !!!!!!

Possible coil pack failure (common issue). Easy to replace.

Errrr, what, you did read the codes I linked right?

OP start by disconnecting the battery overnight to reset the ECU properly and see if the car starts ok in the morning.

Cheers Guys

i have replaced the Crank shaft sensor G28 but no luck. I will try camshaft sensor G40 now i have found it and give that a go. Where's best price for genuine Skoda parts ? i have been using Euro car parts? Where is the coil pack ??

Errrr, what, you did read the codes I linked right?

OP start by disconnecting the battery overnight to reset the ECU properly and see if the car starts ok in the morning.

Have done that but no luck. Hopefully not messed ecu up taking battery on n off as have also been advised this could happen

If the codes are cleared what comes back up?

Same codes keep coming up.

Cheers chap it would have taken me a year to find that info. Good starting point will give it a bash. Do you have to reset ecu or anything once new parts are installed ??? costs me 35£ to have it plugged in to start with.

Do you have to reset ecu or anything once new parts are installed ??? costs me 35£ to have it plugged in to start with.

You will have to reset the codes/warning lights. I have a cheap fault code scanner that does it...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U281-Fault-Code-Reader-Scanner-diagnostic-tool-VW-Audi-Skoda-Seat-VAG-CAR-BUS-UK-/281274904812?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item417d4a70ec

Cheers chap ive just bought one from your site. I will post how i get on

Cheers chap ive just bought one from your site. I will post how i get on

Well it's not my site, just some random ebay seller but hope it does the job for you :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I have replaced the camshaft sensor and the coil pack. cleared the codes but still doing exactly the same.!!!! GRRR!! but just one code coming up now PO341 camshaft still comming up??? Just a thought on this if the timing had slipped some how would this be a possible cause??? does any one have a link for a picture of the timing set up so i can check at weekend?? 

Cheers guys 

Rich

Personally I have my doubts about the timing chain slipping. The chains on the MPI do stretch and rattle but they are a double chain and I've never heard of one slipping and I've had many Skoda models with the same engine (MB 1000, Estelle, Rapid, Felicia, Fabia) . There is no tensioner on the MPI either. Did you use genuine Skoda sensors? Checked the wiring as far as possible?

Could be a wiring issue. Just because a sensor code is logged doesnt mean its a sensor.

The camshaft sensor is very close to the oil filter, maybe when using a filter strap the have caught the wiring and upset something.

Just a thought.