Octavia MkII Replacement Dipstick

nidgep

Given the stupidity of whoever at Skoda decided that having a black plastic end to the dipstick was a good idea....

I have searched and expected to find an OEM replacement dipstick that has resolved this problem, but failed.

Is there an OEM replacement dipstick (or recommended aftermarket one) available that resolves this problem?

Perhaps one from another VWAG car would be suitable?

What do you guys use (or how do you manage to check the oil level)?

The engine in my car is a 2.0 TDi BMM (2008 Scout).

Thanks in advance

Well I was going to suggest these yesterday but figured I'd be laughed at...

Tipex on the end of your dipstick... assuming you thoroughly clean where you apply it eg brake cleaner, it should last and if it doesn't at least it won't clog anything up like a skin of paint falling off.

Although any foreign objects in the sump should be caught in the oil filter before they cause problems.

As a more temporary measure wind a piece of masking tape around a cleaned end, be sure to apply securely and remove before running engine.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I had considered sliding a thin rubber sleeve over the end of the dipstick but cautious in case it slipped off when removing the dipstick.

I had really hoped that there was a genuine replacement stick. Given its such a pain, I kind of expected lots of complaints to have been made to Skoda.

Sent using Tapatalk

I'd suggest lipstick on your dipstick. Won't help with the problem but it would take your mind off it for a while.

I'll get me coat.

I bought a replacement for my Mk1 a few years back as the plastic started to degrade, the local VW dealer was quite surprised when I gave him the Part No. "A dipstick? I don't think we have ordered one of those in before!"