Removing ignition coils

Naths vRS

Has anyone managed to remove all 4 ignition coils on the Fabia vRS? As number one is really difficult to get to. I will do a step by step guide on how to remove ignition coils 2,3 & 4 later on. This is what I'm left with at the moment.

778560dbb5f7722be4d8bf82855e73f9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All done. Was a bitch of a job, but all done. Had to remove all this

3c97397a523f45bc914023ad8e69dbc6.jpg

Believe it or not that one took about half hour to figure out, but once I get some time (tomorrow) I will do a full write up.

Cheers

Pretty sure I pulled the small pipe off the turbo intake (rubber hose with spring clip) and unbolted the larger breather pipe that goes next to the filler cap. That gave me enough movement in the pipes to get my coat hanger tool in :)

• Like 1

See I'm not sure what is what under a bonnet as I'm not mechanically minded, but I think that's what I did too but unplugged 2 plugs also just to get more leverage.

Took it for a drive and the EML light is still on and judders hopefully it's just because I've not pushed it in properly.

Are you changing coils because it was shown as a Misfire.

Unless you were charged for Spark Plugs to be changed it is unlikely they have been, and you really do need to check them.

Your car was a Media Car was it not, so maybe well serviced before it left their hands,

But if you have a EPC or Exhaust System Control light flasing up, then the Plugs are the first check to do.

Last year coil #4 went got it replaced by RAC, this year #2 went again replaced by RAC, got trundlenut to hook is vcds to the car and showed up as coil #3 misfiring so got two ignition coils from GSF in Derby, for exactly the same thing just cheaper. Replaced #1 & #3 today (ask was told it's better to replace them all at the same time). So done them today.

The last one is a right pain but it is not to bad after loosening off a few connections.

If you have had the coil packs out and not checked the plugs then you really have missed a trick, given that the access is the main issue and so many people seem to have problems with the plugs.

Well, put it this way, now you have the experience of how to do it so should be a doodle to pull the coils and replace the plugs. My guess is the plugs were failing because of plugs not working properly forcing coils to work overtime leading to failures. This is why new coils did not make any difference...

All down to a bit of crap on a spark plug [emoji15] how annoying lol but all done now thank fully, and I have also been told to go to a place in Longton (Stoke) called TPS which sell genuine VW ignition coils so will go there in future.

Oh and to answer "have my spark plugs been changed on service" yes they have they look brand new.

Be gentle when moving those pipes above cylinder 1 out of place. In one occasion I cracked a pipe somewhere (not visible) without even realising it. That caused an air intake leak > exhaust light coming on > supercharger off and needed a complete piping assembly replacement.

Sorry, but can you explain,

what was the bit of crap on a spark plug. Was it Oiled, or did it have a build up of soot?

Sorry yeah bit of soot, but things still aren't sorted every time I boot it EML flashes up for a couple of seconds....getting sick of this car now.

Have a Skoda / VW Software Update done on your ECU.   It is worth it if not done already.

When the Spark Plugs were out, did you check the Plug Gap.?

If you intend driving the car for a while yet, & having it running reliably.

I would fit good Spark Plugs (better than the NGK OEM ones) and be sure that all 4 Ignition Coils are good.

Run it only on 99 Ron Petrol.

& Have the ECU running the latest VW Software.

If the EPC light or Exhaust Control Light shows, then there is some other fault occurring.

Edited by goneoffSKi

• 2 months later...

Hi, I have been having some problems with a misfire i think, the engine is dropping revs when it is idling, and the exhaust light came on very briefly a few days ago but went off within a minute or so.

My car is a 2011 fabia vrs and there are 27000 miles on the clock. I'm pretty sure that the plugs haven't been done before as I bought it at 13500 miles and it has only had 1 service.

I have been reading the threads from goneoffSKi about spark plugs and I will investigate very soon. Just wondering, are there any threads on how to remove all the ignition coils as i have read you can make your own tool but i have no idea how. 

Also, are the denso plugs that come up on euro car parts for the fabia ok to use? they cost about £12 each.

That is the DENSO Plugs i would recommend to use, and i have at full price.

They are very good IMO.  I would not fit the OME ones.

http://eurocarparts.com

A proper Ignition Coil remover is worth buying.

I use a home made one, and it is rather easy if you know what it is doing and how to get the Coil off.

If you have been aware of a Misfire and the Spark Plugs are 27,000 miles old,

i would not think about, they likely need replaced.

Edited by goneoffSKi