Life's essentials for ageing 2.0 TDis - Top Tips

I've done a few jobs on my car to help it run better as it reached to 100k mile mark:

Cleaned the EGR & ASV - they were really dirty

Removed and cleaned intake manifold - swirl flaps work better and top end power much improved

Fitted reduced size gasket to EGR feed pipe & elephant mod - now the engine gets clean air instead of oily, sooty 'air'. (Famous PD170 stutter almost completely gone after doing this - big win!)

Cleaned MAP & G450 sensors

Keep an eye on the fuel filter colour - if it is black with oil then investigate tandem pump for faults

Drive it hard and get it hot, for a decent length of a journey - regen time

What are your top tips to keep your TDI happy & healthy???

selling it before it starts getting expensive...at least I wish I had done....kept it about 18 months too long...should have sold at 6 years old, kept hoping the "last" big bill would let me keep it another couple of years..but after 4 more biggies in the next 12 months finally part ex'd it for a 1.4 petrol..and whish I had done 2 years sooner...

selling it before it starts getting expensive...at least I wish I had done....kept it about 18 months too long...should have sold at 6 years old, kept hoping the "last" big bill would let me keep it another couple of years..but after 4 more biggies in the next 12 months finally part ex'd it for a 1.4 petrol..and whish I had done 2 years sooner...

Good advice. I had an experience like that with a previous car I owned. 

Out of interest, what were the 4 big bills?........I imagine Turbo, DMF/Clutch were 2 of them. 

• Like 1

Hi Brooke....just general wear and tear really I suppose. ......brakes, discs / suspension.... rusting sills....leaking, wet floors..... electronic stability control light coming on after 10 mins, (nobody could diagnose the actual fault..)..rear parking sensors packed up...rear wash packed up....rear wipe packed up....headlight washers stopped working.

I was hoping to keep the car for a good few years as I had had it from new, and both my previous diesels (Peugeot and Ford), managed over 200k miles each with no manjor problems, but the Skoda started to "fall apart" around 80k of fairly gentle usage. I guess modern cars are just too complicated, (electro mechanical bits)...I really liked the car and did purchase another Octavia..1.4 petrol (worried about low mileage and DPF's)..but lesson learned, I will probably look to sell after a couple of years before too many problems appear... . 

I was hoping to keep my PD140 for a lot longer, but roughly £2500/3000 of repairs needed and it's time to say 'bye bye'.

Pity as these are really the only things to have gone wrong in 4 years of ownership (it's 7 years old and 146,000 miles).

• Turbo is OK if treated kindly, but it's going;
  • Rust on both sills;
  • DMF possibly going;
  • Possible tandem pump going;
  • Possible knocking from steering thing;
  • Due a cam belt / pump change.

Lets see what next weeks car hunting brings...

This is a depressing thread.  I bought my first Skoda last November (having owned a few VWs years ago) to replace a 170,000 mile Toyota Previa.

The car ('06 Octavia L&K estate 2.0 PD now on 85k) is superb and I was assuming it would be good, with proper maintenance, for up to 200k.

To be honest my paradigm has always been that a good car should be good for 150k miles and I've always been happy to have the second 75k of that.  It's worked on many occasions over the last 30 years (with only a couple of exceptions) and I've benefited from cheap cars and remarkably few large bills.

Are all bets off now with Skodas?

Cheers,

Nic.

My VRS TFSI had 83k on the clock when I sold it.

Engine was going great but the interior was starting to tire with a lot more rattles.

Rear tyres were starting to sawtooth again even after Hunter alignment.

Main issues was the rusty sills, I couldn't see it stopping even if I got them painted properly.

Rust was disappointing. I see 15yr old Peugeots without rust so why was a 7yr old VAG having problems?

Quite sure the car could have made 150k but it needed more spent on it than I was willing to do.

Edited by Aspman

..i believe most cars are now made "down to a price", and an engineering specification that is designed to give a good 5 years life and thats about it...it is not in the interests of the car makers to make new cars any more robust than they need to be, as long as they last reasonably well passed the guarantee period.....there aere some bits on my old Skoda that just rotted away after 5 years..(disc shields)...not really any excuse for that with modern materials and treatments, the parts were obviously designed and manufactured to meet the basic requirements.

Also there are a lot of "electro mechanical" components on cars these days that will fail at some point, and tend to be expensive to replace. Modern car manufacture is also about minimum / simple assembly, ie designed to be built quickly amd simply, but not necessarily best for future repair work. So when bits fail they will be expensive to purchase, and may be difficult to fit rendering what would have been a simple / cheap repair to be less cost effective....

....but as my recent "newer" purchase demonstrates, the cars themselves, when they are newer and working correctly are far better vehicles than their predecessors...just not as long lived....also the more "extras"..the more potential for things to go wrong...

Edited by Stubod

This is a depressing thread.  I bought my first Skoda last November (having owned a few VWs years ago) to replace a 170,000 mile Toyota Previa.

The car ('06 Octavia L&K estate 2.0 PD now on 85k) is superb and I was assuming it would be good, with proper maintenance, for up to 200k.

To be honest my paradigm has always been that a good car should be good for 150k miles and I've always been happy to have the second 75k of that.  It's worked on many occasions over the last 30 years (with only a couple of exceptions) and I've benefited from cheap cars and remarkably few large bills.

I wouldn't get too down about it. My 2.0 PD is an early 2006 model with 86k on it, and it has has very little go wrong with it. It's been in the family since new and in that time has suffered:- a broken front spring, 2 split CV boots, a failed LED indicator in the N/S wing mirror, failed antenna base amplifier, failed high level LED brake light and failure of the drivers seat airbag plug causing the light to come on.

Apart from the new spring and CV boots (which I won't do myself) each of the above faults cost about £30 to put right.....apart from the drivers seat airbag, which I fixed for nothing by bypassing the plug. I'm lucky in that I'm yet to have a big bill, but I suppose they will come if you keep any car long enough. If keeping any Octavia long term, I think the biggest concern is the sills......mine are not too bad yet, but they have a few patches of corrosion from stone chips, which I agree is disappointing for an 8 year old car in this day and age.   

Ultimately there is a lot of very high mileage Mk2 Octavias around in use as taxis.

• Like 1

This is a depressing thread. I bought my first Skoda last November (having owned a few VWs years ago) to replace a 170,000 mile Toyota Previa.

To be honest my paradigm has always been that a good car should be good for 150k miles and I've always been happy to have the second 75k of that. It's worked on many occasions over the last 30 years (with only a couple of exceptions) and I've benefited from cheap cars and remarkably few large bills.

Cheers,

Nic.

Not a bit of it!

I've had a 56 plate 1.9 Octavia Elegance for the past three years and in that time I've put 50k trouble free miles on it. It's now on 94k. I have a 100 mile round commute to work, which is mainly on dual carriageways & motorways and the car has been perfect for me in every way.

It's comfortable, economical (55-60mpg) without trying too hard and servicing costs are very reasonable.

I'm a firm believer that regular maintenance and a sympathetic driving technique (i.e. not revving the balls out of it whilst the engine is cold etc) go a long way to extending the longevity of a car.

I think this video should go some way to put you mind at ease.

There are plenty of Skoda diesels with starship mileages. Have a look at this thread.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/75371-the-high-mileage-club/page-21?hl=%2Bhigh+%2Bmileage+%2Bthread#entry3855364

Enjoy the car and don't be worrying too much. :-)

Edited by flying pig
  • Like 1

I wouldn't get too down about it. My 2.0 PD is an early 2006 model with 86k on it, and it has has very little go wrong with it. It's been in the family since new and in that time has suffered:- a broken front spring, 2 split CV boots, a failed LED indicator in the N/S wing mirror, failed antenna base amplifier, failed high level LED brake light and failure of the drivers seat airbag plug causing the light to come on.

Apart from the new spring and CV boots (which I won't do myself) each of the above faults cost about £30 to put right.....apart from the drivers seat airbag, which I fixed for nothing by bypassing the plug. I'm lucky in that I'm yet to have a big bill, but I suppose they will come if you keep any car long enough. If keeping any Octavia long term, I think the biggest concern is the sills......mine are not too bad yet, but they have a few patches of corrosion from stone chips, which I agree is disappointing for an 8 year old car in this day and age.   

Ultimately there is a lot of very high mileage Mk2 Octavias around in use as taxis.

Yes, mine has been pretty good mechanically but the quality of the paint is one area that lets it down. My sills aren't bad but it has an odd blister in the paint on the bottom of the drivers door and quite a few hairline cracks in the paint near the edges of the roof down both sides of the car. I hope to get a good few years out of the car yet but if I had to bet what will eventually kill it I think it will be corrosion rather than mechanical failure.

It is disappointing when you consider that many manufacturers had learned how to make rust-free cars by the late 1980s, its a shame that many seemed to unlearn this in the subsequent decades, most shockingly perhaps being Mercedes..

My car is coming up 9 years old next year. 66000 on it as of this morning.

Other than: -

Split CV Boots (replaced before I got the car)

Split wishbone bushes (replaced a few weeks ago)

Seized rear brake caliper (that went September 2012)

I have only spent money on regular maintenance. Over the past 3 years I've owned it - it's had 2 services, cambelt, water pump, front brake pads + disks, rear pads + disks, and tyres of course. I believe that most of the main consumables are now done for the next few years. I want another 4 years out of this car at which time I'll be at 98-100K and well we'll see. If nothing big goes on it between now and then (touch wood) then I'll probably do the cambelt etc again and get another 4 years. Mind you that'll make it a 13 year old car. Rust may start being an enemy then, but I don't know yet - we'll just have to see how it pans out. I know what I'll replace it with though, I'm hoping to get a Superb Estate. Good few years left in this car yet though

At the moment I know that two of my glow plugs are dead, but I'll get them replaced myself - apparently it is an easy enough  job.