Yeti Creak drivers side

lfc958

Car has been back to dealers today to find out where an annoying creaking is coming from, it was spotted 2 weeks ago.

It is apparent when pulling away or decelerating but only at low speed, and when the car twists on cambered roads.

It is a noise like plastic twisting, or leather rubbing on plastic, coming from where it sounds like drivers door, but having had a master tec from the garage sit in the car & heard the noise clearly, it appears to be the back passenger door behind the driver.

I have plastic & rubber treatment which is silicone based and put that on the rubber seals around both doors, & this didnt work,  Also on my 1st visit last week, the garage has Strawberry flavour silicone spray which he used - Again no difference

They have 2 other Yeti's with leather that are older than my car & they do not have the creak.

Also a short drive with both doors ( driver & rear passenger) open & the sound goes, they have even pulled the rear passenger in & still have the noise.

So upshot is a report to SUK & see if it can be sorted, although the silicone & tightening seems to have reduced the noise.

The tech also has suggested about replacing the outer seal that fits round 3/4 of the door.

Be interesting to find out if the solve the issue.

My first Yeti creaked, but after reading many on here having similar problem, and recomending Gummi Pfledge. An application of Pfledge to all seals round the doors and particularly the flap type seal on the top of the doors, resulted in silence.

My first Yeti creaked, but after reading many on here having similar problem, and recomending Gummi Pfledge. An application of Pfledge to all seals round the doors and particularly the flap type seal on the top of the doors, resulted in silence.

They did try using a silicone based spray.

Gummi Pflege is definately the fix. Put it on ALL the rubbers around the doors, and leave the doors open to allow it to dry. I applied two generous 'coats' of Gummi on mine before all the creaks dissappeared.

Funny how it seems to only affect the drivers side, but perhaps its more noticable to the driver? I did all the doors and it has made a massive difference.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

It appears that this is a bit more than Gummi pfledge & given that the car is less than 6 months old, I want this sorting properly.

So SUK have sent dealer a report list of all things to try, which is going back today as i am now back off holiday.( 2nd attempt)

I was sitting in the front passeneger seat on sat & it sounds like that side is now affected, which i will get checked.

I really like the car ( SWMBO loves it ) but this niggle is starting to irritate the heck out of me, to the point of considering rejection before the car gets too old, however being realistic & giving SUK the minimal wriggle room i will let them try all their listed remedial actions before going down this route.

On my first Yeti the problem was the seals (Gummi Pfledge sorted that) and the small speaker bezel.  I found that if I applied pressure to certain parts of it the creak stopped. The garage removed the door panel and 'packed' the area?  Whatever, it sorted the problem. 

Turn the radio up.   :)

Did that in the Octy for the rattle.

Car back, not fixed, SUK to actually send someone down, have asked that they come down in a car of equivalent size just in case they want to take mine, I will at least still have a decent sized car to do shopping in.

Saga Continues.

• Like 1

Despite the Gummi treatment I have still had the odd 'creak' from my doors when going over potholes etc. Yesterday I decided to try and fix it and adjusted the door striker plates slightly inwards on all 4 doors. If you loosen the two torx screws about half a turn the striker can be tapped inwards about 1mm to pull the door in more.

There is no noticable difference to the amount of 'push or pull' to close the doors (depending on whether you are ouside or inside), but they do sound better when you close them - less clunky. Anyway, the difference is remarkable when driving on rough roads. All the odd noises have dissapeared and the car feels more 'together'.

It will be interesting to see if SUK come up with any different solutions to your problem. Please keep us posted.

Dave

Just got a call from dealer - SUK will be out on 22nd Oct, have however been asked to drop car off on 20th to the dealers.

I suspect they want the car to be fully settled before they start.  

Well i can guarantee the the creak will be well ready to shout, as we found when on holiday & didnt use the car for 3 days after arrival.

Have insisted on a loan while they have mine.

Just got a call from dealer - SUK will be out on 22nd Oct, have however been asked to drop car off on 20th to the dealers.

I suspect they want the car to be fully settled before they start.  

Well i can guarantee the the creak will be well ready to shout, as we found when on holiday & didnt use the car for 3 days after arrival.

Have insisted on a loan while they have mine.

I hope that this approach by SUK proves a bit more fruitful. It really takes the shine off owning a new car.

My doors didn't creak.

Then a week or so ago, I applied Gummi Pfpffppledge to all the door seals while I was giving the car a rare clean up, left them open to dry...and now they creak.

Any ideas why GP seems to have had the opposite effect for me ?

• 2 weeks later...

Car dropped off yesterday, SUK would not provide a loan they insist it is down to the dealer, which is GROSSLY unfair as it was SUK that asked that i leave the car for 2 days, so why should the dealer get stuffed for a loan car.

Hats off to the dealer, while he is no longer a Skoda dealer he has loaned me a brand new, just registered, Suzuki Swift, 

So SUK have sent you to a non Skoda dealer to repair your car, very strange.

Some History - The dealer where i bought my car WAS a skoda dealer when i bought it & was one for over 15 years, but because they are not a caffyns etc, just a small ' 1 man band ' & cannot afford the large 'posh' show room, Skoda did not want to renew the contract.

As such they are now a Suzuki dealership, but have an agreement to honour any skoda warranty work on cars sold by them for the duration of warranty remaining.

• Like 1

Update- After SUK tech spending 2 hrs trying to fix, parts have been ordered on Wed and arrived today, dealer did not say what parts, but I suspect all the door seals have been removed & will be replaced.  Was told to call back tomorrow ( sat ) to see if they have been fitted & When i can get it back.

Well as suspected, the 2 main door seals have been replaced, with a recommendation that they only be cleaned with warm soapy water.

Result is that the car no longer creaks like an old boat, the drive home last night was peacefully bliss.

All i will say is well done to SUK & the dealer for getting this sorted quickly considering I had a 2 week holiday in the middle of the fixing schedule.

I am not wholly convinced i would have got the same dealer service from Motorline / Beadles or Caffyns in Kent.

No lets just see if we get past 4 months before the creaking returns, or will it be a different door ;)  LOL

OH DEAR !!!!!

SWMBO took the car to work yesterday & the creak returned, not as noisy as it was this morning when we took the car out to get shopping, it is as bad if not worse than before.

So the fix lasted 5 days  :thumbdown:  :'(

There has now been 3 attempts to resolve this, with a call being placed to SUK about the return of the fault.

My thoughts are now to get an independant report done, & take legal advice about requesting a replacement vehicle, as i have followed SUK request to the letter as you can see from above.

Having had 5 other Skodas, this is just ' one of those cars' and it is not mechanical issues keeping the car off the road, & there is nothing around that could replace this for the use we have for the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Update -  Called Dealer today, next set of parts arrived, & SUK to come in on Tue 18th Nov to fit & see if this resolves.

I have however taken legal advise specifically around what is a reasonable number of attempts to sort as this can be different, Solictor seems to take 3 as a reasonable number.  I have advised the dealer based on this that if this attempt fails I will be handing in a letter requesting a replacement, not refund, which i think may be difficult as it is on finance.