MOT/service

Well my motor had her first MOT today and thankfully past with flying colours. No advisories either so very happy. A bargain 35 quid. I took it in a couple of weeks early just incase there was any work that needed doing.

She's also due a service end of October so I popped into local skoda dealers who gave me a quote. I just wanted to know what was involved. I also asked them about looking at some stuff I wanted sorting under warranty. Booked it in for next week.

So the service

83.10 for service, so I'm assuming oil and filter.

49.00 for Brake fluid. Due on third year apparently

93.98 for set of plugs. Want to get them done early. 227 in total which isn't too bad a guess?

My local independent garage (very good) have said I could get all the parts myself if I wanted to, obviously because I know exactly what parts I want. I've found that most independent garages always bring up cheap parts on the systems they use. It came up with 4.00 each spark plug. I said I can't put them in my car haha. They'll charge 50 labour to so everything but only works out 30 odd quid cheaper than main dealers. Would it be better to have a skoda stamp?

• Like 1

Good news.

Just check, please do not assume.

Was that 5w 40 Fully Synthetic they put in VW 502,?

it is OK if it was not VW 504 00 5w 30 Long Life.

So it was a Minor Service required, Fluid & Other visual checks.

A but much for changing the spark plugs really, but that is what many do take.

(i doubt you could have bought the correct spark plugs for the 1.4 TSI Twincharger @ £4 each.)

Edited by goneoffSKi

Hi George

Called them back and they said they would be putting in 5w 40 oil. I've personally been topping up with 5w 30 is that ok?

The sparks they said were 15.10 each so would be charging around 34 to fit them. That is too much really isn't it? They are official VW plugs obviously but they couldn't tell me anything about them, just that they were long life etc. They also recommend changing sump seal? Only 2.50 for that

The 5w 40 is OK when you are doing annual / 9,400 mile (10,000) mile Services.  Does no harm.

But thats why the price is lower.

The Spark Plugs are £10 Retail or so,

not £15 unless they are putting in DENSO plugs or the like.

The New Sump Plug has to be fitted.

?? Is this a Service Reception person on the phone just saying what ever?

VW parts Prices, I would go there not Skoda.

Check out a VW Dealer and see what they quote maybe.

Sump Plug £1.98

Oil Filter £8.21

Air Filter £16.89    * It might be worth getting done, best check it.*

Pollen Filter should have been done last time at the Major Service.

Oil,  3.6 Litres VW 5w 30 from VW Dealer £47.56     (5w 40 is cheaper & fine)      Not incuding VAT.

Edited by goneoffSKi

I've got a local VW dealers close to me, so might pop in there and get some prices.

Yup, pollen filter was done last year so should be good until next year I believe? I think I will get the air filter done. They didn't give me price on that. Do you know now many litres of brake fluid it takes? They couldn't tell me...but said it was 9.65 a litre. Oil filter was 10.15 cheers mate

The Brake Fluid Change was an Offer on Skoda Fixed Price Servicing and used to be £45 and went up in price to £49.

Some do it Cheaper,

The Invoices showed 1 Bottle @ £7.78 plus VAT £9.36

& about £29 - £35 Labour.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey.

Bit of an update on some of the things that I'm not happy with and asked Skoda about getting work done under warranty.

Took it to a dealers and theu said that they will replace the front and rear badges and the centre caps because they're worn. White specs on them

They also said that the door handle that is

sticking is probably due to the cable. Might need loosing or tightning?

They also took some pics of the alloys which seems as though they're corroding. He wouldnt give me a definite on those though. Said that he would need to send all the info across to Skoda and should have an answer come Monday. Fingers crossed!

Skoda know well the Dark Chrome Gigaro issue, and there are plenty of threads here.

Plenty of Dealers saying, no, maybe, we will see etc.

There are Manufacturing Issues, and it really should not be an issue getting the wheels replaced by Skoda.

The Badges are a common replacement item due to Corrosion.

The biggie to check is the Drivers Seat Base / Runners.

Some stick and that is an Expensive Repair, so before 3 years is up you need to be sure the Runners and Catch are OK.

Thanks for the heads up George. I haven't noticed anything in regards to seats but I might have a proper look and get them to check it out when I take the car in.

Also the guy looked on the system and no DSG oil change showing. I forgot to ask about any software updates. Don't know if they do them routinely?

They need to check your vin or the reg no. And see if your dsg needs the service campaign. And with the seat, If the seat moves ok. And does not stick full back on runners. Nothing to check really.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Just heard back from dealers. skoda have authorised a new alloy due to the corrosion. Only prob being that one of the fronts has started and I did tell them that so they now need to have a look at it tomorrow and ask skoda again for the second wheel! They're replacing the rear badge too due to corrosion. They said that they won't be replacing the centre caps which also have corrosion because it's wear and tear. Guess that's to be expected...

Others had the Centre Caps replaced under Warranty because it is Material or Manufacturing Faults.

(Where is there wear and Tear on their cr4p Caps?)

So ask them again to run the Cap Replacement past the Warranty Manager.

& suggest they start working for the Customers Best Interest and not Skoda or the Dealerships.

The Caps were of Poor Quality & Poor Quality Control,

Just like the procurement of the Dark Chrome Gigaro.

There should be no Issues getting Both Wheels Replaced,

after all they fitted them at the Same Time, and the Poor Manufacturing was at the same time.

I have had Replacements replaced within 3 years, as have other Members & Owners.

Hi George

This is the wheel that they're replacing up to now. All the centre caps on the other 3 wheels look like this. Absolutely shocking. I can't understand why they're replacing the rear badge cause of corrosion but not the caps that have corrosion...

post-110486-0-71765900-1412244167_thumb.jpg

This is the other rear wheel that I told them about but they forgot to mention it to skoda, so need to go through the whole process again. Granted it's only small mark but I know that eventually it's going to look like the other wheel isn't it?

So today they've fitted me a shiney new alloy and a shiney new rear badge. They've taken a pic of the other alloy that's corroding and will be speaking with skoda...I'm out of warranty now but I did say it was two wheels when I took it to them few weeks back. I spoke with them on phone regarding the second wheel, so hopefully that should be still done under the original warranty?