Contemplating a purchase - a couple of questions

Hi all

I've currently got a mk 2 FL 1.4 TSI manual - looking at possibly getting a mk 3 but just got a couple of questions....

Is the 1.4 TSI in the mk 3 a noticeable upgrade on the mk 2 1.4 TSI?  I believe it's higher power and more torque in the mk 3.

What sort of real world MPG are people getting from it (with DSG if poss as this is what I'm looking at)?

Thanks.

Steve.

I changed my Mk2 for a Mk3 with same spec - 1.4TSi Elegance with a DSG. The build quality is far superior & although I don't drive it hard the engine has all the power I need. I am no mechanic but the engine just sounds & feels more refined.

The car is almost 1 year old & is averaging 50mpg as compared to the Mk2 which gave about 45mpg.

Edited by kalpat

I've only driven the old 1.4 once, but as far as I can remember it felt a good deal slower than the current one - maybe a second slower to 60 or something of that order? It's surprisingly torquey in higher gears and has a lot of go in 2nd and 3rd. Plenty of power for your average driver and it's quite fun to boot it once in a while. I think it's a great little engine actually. Mine's a manual.

I also have the manual 1.4TSi, and whilst I haven't driven the old mk2 I can imagine that it is an upgrade. More power, more torque and less weight, how can you go wrong? I came from a diesel and I have to say that I reckon this is absolutely the best of both worlds.

I was doing 50.5mpg on the maxidot (47.8mpg calculated by me) until I went on holiday with a roofbox on, combining motorway driving with some big hills at the other end. That knocked it down a couple of mpg. I mostly do motorway driving sitting at "more or less" the speed limit. If I sit exactly at the speed limit I can get the maxidot into the high 50's for a single trip.

I drive mine hard on empty roads and find it real hard to get under 30mpg, I've had 50mpg on a holiday run to the West Country with family and luggage, when driven respectfully its gotta be the smothist Skoda on the road although, in Elegance spec its a real nice place to be.

Thanks for all the replies.

I'd be interested to know how you find the mk 3 when fully loaded (passengers and/or luggage) one criticism I have of the mk 2 is it labours a bit under acceleration.

Thanks for all the replies.

I'd be interested to know how you find the mk 3 when fully loaded (passengers and/or luggage) one criticism I have of the mk 2 is it labours a bit under acceleration.

Now this I have experience in. We've got young children and we're regularly doing Newcastle-London (where the mrs' parents are) with a boot full of a week's worth of clothes, toys, baby walkers, nappies etc etc as well as all of our own stuff. The size of the boot means that you can get a lot in it and it can end up being very heavy. Performance-wise I genuinely cannot tell the difference between driving it fully loaded and empty, including overtaking on the M1 in 6th (though of course it is necessary to plan your braking a little bit more when coming to a dead halt from speed). Before I got used to it I was dropping down purely out of habit in certain situations and it just didn't need it. I've been really impressed with it. Similar story on the one occasion I've had 3 across the back, 2 of whom were big blokes. Obviously if you're flooring it it's going to take longer to 62 with a car full of stuff but driving normally I really don't notice any difference.

I have approx 14km/L (~40mpg) over the first 10.000km, but I drive mostly on the motorway (70-85mph) or in the city, and I have towed my campervan 1500-2000km. In addition it is a company car, so I do not pay for fuel :)

I personally like the DSG and combined with ACC I have a very relaxed non-stressful drive on the motorway

I have a 1.4 TSI manual. Average MPG in the first 3000 miles was 40.6, mostly local short trips with a few 100 mile round trips. I have just driven 950 miles to Munich, Germany. MPG to Dover from Lancashire was 50.4 at 80 mph on motorways. It went down to 47.6 after travelling a bit faster on the German autobahns. The car was fully loaded, with the back seats down and piled to the roof with stuff. Don't know the exact weight but it was a lot. I was wondering how the car would cope with the extra weight, but I have to say I didn't notice any difference in terms of acceleration from a standing start or at the higher end. The 1.4 TSI is remarkably quick in all gears. For me, it's equal to my previous 175 bhp 2.0 dci Renault Laguna in terms of performance, and better on fuel.

Now this I have experience in. We've got young children and we're regularly doing Newcastle-London (where the mrs' parents are) with a boot full of a week's worth of clothes, toys, baby walkers, nappies etc etc as well as all of our own stuff. The size of the boot means that you can get a lot in it and it can end up being very heavy. Performance-wise I genuinely cannot tell the difference between driving it fully loaded and empty, including overtaking on the M1 in 6th (though of course it is necessary to plan your braking a little bit more when coming to a dead halt from speed). Before I got used to it I was dropping down purely out of habit in certain situations and it just didn't need it. I've been really impressed with it. Similar story on the one occasion I've had 3 across the back, 2 of whom were big blokes. Obviously if you're flooring it it's going to take longer to 62 with a car full of stuff but driving normally I really don't notice any difference.

Sort of like this then?!

post-19478-0-41885300-1411122011_thumb.jpg

• Like 2