Remap!

Hi guys, considering a remap for my 1.2 tsi 86. I've been to a few places who said that the engine I have is basically a restricted version of the 105 so they would remove the restriction then remap it as the 105 up to approx 125. I've seen a few topics on here from people debating to do this also however I Havant seen a solid review. Would the gear box and clutch etc be affected with the gain in power? small as it may be. Wouldn't want to blow my engine or something just for 25 bhp

I would also give consideration to the effect on your insurance.

You may have a cheap policy already but you are talking around a 50% power increase.  More power is usually the modification that carries the biggest premium with insurers.

Does the 105 model have any different internals, i.e stronger and more durable. Adding that much power to a car that was designed around a 86hp engine, I would also be thinking about the effect on brakes, suspension units.

The engine wasn't designed just for 86bhp, it's a detuned version of the 105bhp lump which probably can easily handle more power, most engines are over engineered to cope with various loads, apart from the 1.4 TSI twin blower anyway.

The engine wasn't designed just for 86bhp, it's a detuned version of the 105bhp lump which probably can easily handle more power, most engines are over engineered to cope with various loads, apart from the 1.4 TSI twin blower anyway.

Yep, the 1.4tsi twincharger can't take anymore power Gaz.

y'know apart from the ones that have been succesfully remapped and the one in Greece running 500bhp+.

Defo can't handle more power :p

• Like 3

Or the ten's of people on Briskoda alone running tuning boxes or remaps without issue's all running at least 20-30bhp over stock....

Just sayin' ;-p

Ally, just so you know I am no longer reading any of your posts unless they contain a meme ;)

That is all!

Yep, the 1.4tsi twincharger can't take anymore power Gaz.

y'know apart from the ones that have been succesfully remapped and the one in Greece running 500bhp+.

Defo can't handle more power :p

I was speaking tongue in cheek about the twin charger. [emoji6]
  • Like 1

I was speaking tongue in cheek about the twin charger. [emoji6]

Likewise, life would be really boring if we got too serious.

Besides I can say what I like, I don't own one anymore. :rofl:

And just for Ally:

image.jpg

• Like 1

My guess is that the majority don't even tell the insurance company...... maybe one or two would but i can not imagine a lot do, in the same way that when alloys are changed or other modifications are done these are not declared...... or do you guys tell them about re-tunes ?

Many will never tell their insurers, and no body will ever know.

If there is an Accident even if not the Drivers fault but there is an Investigation because of Life Changing Injuries of a fatality.

it may be Crash Investigators or Loss Adjusters having the ECU undergo a forensic analysis.

So Void Insurance possibly with the Insurer Paying out to 3rd Party Claims and recovering for Costs & Compensation 

from the Policy Holder that did not declare the Remap or Performance Upgrade.

You pays your money and takes your chances, or not, depends if you feel lucky.

You maybe do not pay the extra insurance, but it costs you for many years,

including having Insurance Refused.

george

• Like 1

Hi guys, considering a remap for my 1.2 tsi 86. I've been to a few places who said that the engine I have is basically a restricted version of the 105 so they would remove the restriction then remap it as the 105 up to approx 125. I've seen a few topics on here from people debating to do this also however I Havant seen a solid review. Would the gear box and clutch etc be affected with the gain in power? small as it may be. Wouldn't want to blow my engine or something just for 25 bhp

If your going to have it remapped, go to Revo tuning. They give a much bigger increase then that!

I have the monte 86, and they will get it to around 130+ with a stage one map

It's not all about the numbers! You want a good smooth map that will keep a smile on your face while hopefully not blowing up the engine! Go for someone like Shark instead of Revo, IMO. Loads and loads of other threads on here about remaps which you might find helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in London, looking for a remap to my 1.2TSI Monte also. Not heard of Shark outside of this forum - but two names are constantly cropping up when I do my searches; Revo and APR.

Has anyone had either of these remaps on their Monte (105bhp) that can comment on it? £478.00 (£399 + VAT), seems pretty pricey to me and makes me frown. But will the remap put a smile on my face again!!?? (And will I need to upgrade other parts of the vehicle to handle it?)

• 2 weeks later...

As with any maps as long as it is done properly no problems come to your engine. My concern is the over reliance on some tuners to use library maps (that's what a stage 1 is) instead of creating a bespoke map for the car and driver.

As with any maps as long as it is done properly no problems come to your engine. My concern is the over reliance on some tuners to use library maps (that's what a stage 1 is) instead of creating a bespoke map for the car and driver.

What's wrong with a pre-developed stage 1 Map?  Stage 1 is aimed at a car with no modifications so variation from car to car should be limited surely?  Owner takes responsibility for assessing whether it's a good idea to map a 200,000mile car ofc.

For my part I would rather have a "library" Stage 1 Map from Shark or APR that has had some real development work put into it.

I don't really get your point, if the appropriate tolerances are built into the map so as not to kill the engine then what will a custom map offer at Stage 1 other than pushing the engine harder which I don't see as a great plan.

• Like 1

I'm in London, looking for a remap to my 1.2TSI Monte also. Not heard of Shark outside of this forum - but two names are constantly cropping up when I do my searches; Revo and APR.

Has anyone had either of these remaps on their Monte (105bhp) that can comment on it? £478.00 (£399 + VAT), seems pretty pricey to me and makes me frown. But will the remap put a smile on my face again!!?? (And will I need to upgrade other parts of the vehicle to handle it?)

Shark are probably the biggest Skoda tuners in the UK. They'll hate me for saying that, but it's probably true. They write their own maps on their own rolling road. When you speak to Ben or Mikko you are speaking to the tuner.

Shark have a fabulous reputation. Not because they never make a mistake but because when they make a mistake they make it right, immediately. They also have a refreshingly no-bull**** attitude. Their Mk I vRS remap was always one of the lowest power increases of the various tuners that offered it and the reason given was "because that's the REAL power and we like how that map drives". They're also one of the few tuners who state that all remaps are detectable. Ben Wardle has worked on all of my cars (not my company cars) for the last 7 years and the best advice I can give you is to ring them up for a chat. I have no experience of any of the satellite tuners that Shark franchise their maps to, but Shark in Mansfield is a very good outfit indeed.

APR's maps originate in the US and, from experience on the Audi TT forums, they don't have tuning expertise in the UK so if something goes wrong you're left waiting (literally) until the Americans sort it out. I accept totally that you only hear about the people who have problems, but when they have problems, APR owners tend to end up in forums bitching vociferously. Shark customers don't do that.

I can't comment on REVO because I have no information, good or bad.