Parts for OEM+ handling.

mrapoc

Hi all.

The fabia vrs is all stock pretty much apart from a remap. Now cornering is pretty bad. Boat comes to mind. Really leans and understeers.

Brakes also lack any bite. Pedal isn't soft really so I'm guessing pads (and when to change disk?)

So I'm not really looking to spend lots or make it into a mean racing machine. Not bothered about dropping either so is a rarb the most cost effective to transform the handling?

As for brakes TRW stuff? Shall I just get disks as well

Cheers

Eibachs will make a notable difference, but remember your dampers will prob be worn/not there best so really need to replace them at the same time.

But if you really want a good step up go for KW V1 Coilovers ;)

• Like 3

Don't forget to shorten your bumpstops or fit Ibiza Cupra versions if you are going the Bilstein spring route. I also changed the anti roll bar drop links for some Meyle HD ones from VWspares. HTH :)

Been there and done the Bilstein springs, but weren't low enough for me so changed them for some adjustable coilovers. It's all personal preference at the end of the day.

Cheers mate.

I probably won't be upgrading the brakes merely looking to get them semi decent.

If you want to get them semi decent, put the 312's on from an Octavia/TT/S3 etc. It's very easy to do and makes so much difference. Just need the calipers and carriers and then it's all a direct bolt on.

Hi all.

The fabia vrs is all stock pretty much apart from a remap. Now cornering is pretty bad. Boat comes to mind. Really leans and understeers.

Brakes also lack any bite. Pedal isn't soft really so I'm guessing pads (and when to change disk?)

So I'm not really looking to spend lots or make it into a mean racing machine. Not bothered about dropping either so is a rarb the most cost effective to transform the handling?

As for brakes TRW stuff? Shall I just get disks as well

Cheers

Brakes: Get the Febi stuff from ECP. Hopefully get at least 25-30% discount. NFP in paying £150+.

Suspension: RARB will certain help a lot. Possibly do the FARB too and keep standard ride height if ground clearance is important. NOTE: Haven't actually read of anyone doing this. One of my own major gripes with the suspension was forward rotation/diving under braking. It made me feel the car was stopping quicker than it was and made everything feel more unstable.

Should really get matching dampers for any spring replacement. Either the Eibach route or have a look at Bonesetter's topic for an alternative.

J.

The biggest improvement for understeer reduction by far is replacing the terrible standard voided console bushes with solid bushes, replacing front wishbone bushes doesn't make any noticeable difference.

The next improvement is suspension, Eibach springs are designed to work with the standard dampers, since you have to remove and dismantle the front struts there is no point in not replacing the front dampers at the same time, I used Bilstein OEM+ front dampers and the results are excellent. The rear dampers don't need replacing unless leaking or you particularly want to and replacing the springs is a doddle. You'll get a 25mm drop all round and improved handling and road holding without being at all crashy or uncomfortable.

Check your standard FARB bushes and droplinks are good, replace if not, uprated FARB bushes don't make any difference but the Meyle HD droplinks are worth the extra money if you do need to replace them.

Finally fit a RARB to tighten up the back end, any RARB will do, you don't want it set too stiff or you'll get lift-off oversteer in the wet and it'll make the ride worse.

For the standard brakes I use Brembo MAX discs which are excellent quality and give a sharper bite with stronger stopping and Pagid pads which are a good combination of OEM+ quality and value, fit Mintex or Ferodo if your budget will run to it. Change all the brake and clutch fluid out for fresh DOT4 to make the pedal even firmer, no need for anything exotic, you're not circuit racing.

Bingo.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the standard VRS alloy wheels are horribly heavy, changing them for lighter wheels gives a noticeable improvement in handling and suspension performance on bumpy (i.e. British) roads.

Edited by sepulchrave
  • Like 1

The biggest improvement for understeer reduction by far is replacing the terrible standard voided console bushes with solid bushes, replacing front wishbone bushes doesn't make any noticeable difference.

The next improvement is suspension, Eibach springs are designed to work with the standard dampers, since you have to remove and dismantle the front struts there is no point in not replacing the front dampers at the same time, I used Bilstein OEM+ front dampers and the results are excellent. The rear dampers don't need replacing unless leaking or you particularly want to and replacing the springs is a doddle. You'll get a 25mm drop all round and improved handling and road holding without being at all crashy or uncomfortable.

Check your standard FARB bushes and droplinks are good, replace if not, uprated FARB bushes don't make any difference but the Meyle HD droplinks are worth the extra money if you do need to replace them.

Finally fit a RARB to tighten up the back end, any RARB will do, you don't want it set too stiff or you'll get lift-off oversteer in the wet and it'll make the ride worse.

For the standard brakes I use Brembo MAX discs which are excellent quality and give a sharper bite with stronger stopping and Pagid pads which are a good combination of OEM+ quality and value, fit Mintex or Ferodo if your budget will run to it. Change all the brake and clutch fluid out for fresh DOT4 to make the pedal even firmer, no need for anything exotic, you're not circuit racing.

Bingo.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the standard VRS alloy wheels are horribly heavy, changing them for lighter wheels gives a noticeable improvement in handling and suspension performance on bumpy (i.e. British) roads.

you missed out tyres this time lol. but apart from that. the perfect plan

To keep it simple. 312mm setup to improve pedal feel. Cupar bushes to reduce the wishbone movement. Jaba sport rear anti roll bar to bring in the adjustable balance. Won't reduce the roll roll though. Decent springs and dampers are needed for that. Kw v1's are really nice.

Anyone have the vrs spring rates? Skoda technical won't tell me :( I have the eibach pro kit spring rates. Going off my calculations the rears are softer than stock. Front slightly stiffer.