2014 Yeti 4x4 Winter Wheels and Tyres Package

Yogi1

Hi Everyone,

We have recently taken delivery of a new 2014 Skoda Yeti Elegance 4x4.  The car has the 17 inch Origami alloys fitted, but we also want to be able to fit 16 inch steel rims and winter tyres so we can take the car to Europe for skiing, and also so we can get around safely on those wintry days in the UK.

We asked the dealership for help, but (according to Skoda UK Customer Services) they gave us incorrect information.  Customer Services were able to give us a part number for steel rims and a spec for the tyres, but they emphasised that this info was not necessarily correct for the 2014 model.  They said that Skoda has not yet announced what the winter wheel/tyre package will be for the new model, they said that they expected the info to be available in October.

That is all very well, but winter tyres can be in short supply in the UK and we are keen to get this sorted out ASAP.  We have also tried to contact Skoda in the Czech Republic to get the info, but they have not answered our e-mails.

We were wondering whether anyone out there has managed to establish what the correct 16 inch steel rim/winter tyre package might be?

Many thanks.

Hi Yogi1 and welcome.

"We were wondering whether anyone out there has managed to establish what the correct 16 inch steel rim/winter tyre package might be?"

"Can't see any reason it would change from what was recommended for Pre F/L or any year. Changes are only really cosmetic."

Just bought a second hand set of steels with winter tyres for my 2014 170 4x4. 7J x 16 ET45 with 215/60x16 tyres. The speed rating for these is 99H as I am sure that for my particular model the minimum is 94. Not sure with a 140 but if you do a search there is an excellent guide to what wheels and tyres fit and more importantly were fitted as standard.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/148948-yeti-tyre-and-rim-guide/

Hope this helps.

As above F/L tyre sizes are exactly same as pre F/L. I got my Nokian WR D3's on steel rims from Mytyres. Mine were also 215x60 16" 99H size which are ideal if you do not intend to fit snow chains.

As above F/L tyre sizes are exactly same as pre F/L. I got my Nokian WR D3's on steel rims from Mytyres. Mine were also 215x60 16" 99H size which are ideal if you do not intend to fit snow chains.

I have been looking at these as they seem to regularly come out top in reviews. They are now down to £100 + £10 each delivery. Funds permitting I will get them.

Did you use the same wheel studs?

Colin

I'm just going to get the steels from oponeo and them my local event tyres will pretty much match what they are doing some Hankooks for.

once you factor in the fitting it'll work out cheaper. I reckon I'll get the lot for under £475

Try Rainworth skoda. Jonathan in parts supplied my 16" steel rims and hankook winter icept tyres (205/55/16). Manufacturer approved and a decent price.

Please remember if you use non manufacturers wheels you must notify your insurance company. As well as notifying them about winter tyres.

I know someone who put on spurious alloys and his insurance company asked the make and refused cover.

So please beware!

Thanks everyone for your inputs so far and for the tip about notifying the insurance company.  From what you are all saying it looks as though we can go ahead and buy 16" steel rims with appropriate winter tyres for the 2014 model.

We were wondering about 6Jx16 rims with 205/55 R16 91H tyres - probably the new Michelin Alpin A5s.  We have had Michelin Alpin tyres before on a different vehicle and they were great in the snow.

Any thoughts from the experts out there? 

I thought that size is smaller than the standard ones? Pick a size from inside the fuel flap, then there are no issues.

Alpins are supposed to be good, like all Michelins, but pricey. Continental TS850s are what I would go for as they are also excellent, but cheaper.

With steels, you shouldn't have any insurance issues, as they're not worth stealing. However, you may be able to get genuine VAG alloys from one of the many cars with the same bolt pattern cheaper used than for steels new.

Having used a few different winter tyres, the Nokian’s are certainly my preferred choice.... EVERY time.

As for the wheels, not all aftermarket wheels can use the std VAG wheel bolts! Something worth considering, for me genuine VAG alloys are the way to go.

On the "Do I need to tell my insurers about winter tyres" subject, read this:

https://www.abi.org.uk/~/media/Files/Documents/Publications/Public/Migrated/Motor/ABI%20guide%20to%20winter%20tyres%20The%20motor%20insurance%20commitment.pdf

It's linked to from the ABI site, here:

https://www.abi.org.uk/Insurance-and-savings/Products/Motor-insurance/Winter-tyres

Note that's talking about tyres only.

With regards to Nokian tyres.

They don't tend to come out very top of the European tyres tests, but you have to consider what criteria those tests score the performance against.

Typically the euro tests will put a bit more emphasis on snow performance.

In the UK though, snow performance isn't quite such a top priority - unless you live somewhere particularly northerly and/or rural where it's a concern.

Over the course of a winter, the percentage of snow days is typically very small in most of the UK.

So having good wet performance, good dry handling, and braking performance in the colder temps are probably as important, or more so, than outright snow performance.

(This is why I think that rushing out to buy cheap chinese winter tyres is a big mistake - OK they may be an improvement in the occasional snow, but the poor wet performance of these tyres could actually make you less safe on average.)

Anyway the point I'm rambling towards is that Nokians have in the past had a good balance for the UK. 

The WRG2's I've used before handled really well in non-snowy Winter conditions, and still had good (if not chart topping) snow performance. 

On a 4wd vehicle, you've got extra traction anyway, so the Nokians would sound like a perfect choice.

Have a read here, which covers much of what I've said in a far more concise form :)

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2013-Winter-Tyre-Buying-Guide.htm

• Like 1

My Insurance company state they do not require notifying about winter tyres, or using a wheel recommended and approved by Skoda.

My insurers gave the same response when I told them about the stainless steel pedals, exhaust tips etc. they said as long as they were original Skoda parts they didn't require any notification.

From what you are all saying it looks as though we can go ahead and buy 16" steel rims with appropriate winter tyres for the 2014 model.

We were wondering about 6Jx16 rims with 205/55 R16 91H tyres - probably the new Michelin Alpin A5s.  

http://www.skoda-auto.de/SiteCollectionDocuments/Serienreifen_Skoda_2014_07_1.pdf

This is the link to all the official tyre sizes. Scroll down to page 208 for the Yetis. Look for your EU Type Approval No. (At the top of the page under "Gen.-Nr.").

In the left hand column you will see the engine codes (Motorkennbuchstabe). These donate the first 4 letters of your of engine codes.

The "91", "93" or "94" part denotes the weight load. This is the minimum permitted.

Hope this helps you make your decision.

Edited by Gers
  • Like 2