Rear bumper bar/reinforcement

Hi Monkeyboyo

The bumper reinforcing bar ,the bit behind the plastic bumper, has to be removed in order to fit the towbar as this then becomes the reinforcing bar. The best way to get the towbar fitting instructions, is to go on fleebay and search for one from a company called Towbarman01. Scroll down the page and you will find fitting instructions, part of the fitting instructions shows how to remove the rear bumper. Try searching on fleebay for this item 380992497255 and scroll down the page and check out the instructions.

Hope this helps

Nick

P.S. did mine last March.

The crash bar covers the holes where the towbar goes. So it is impossible to have both at the same time!

What he probably means is that there is a crash bar which is part of the actual towbar.

A final question folks !

The bumper bar requires screws; presumably already in use by towbar ?.

Or must they be acquired separately (none of the bumper bars state that screws required

or provided)

Seen mentioned somewhere that heat shield screws also required, as this may need removing

and screws are single use only ?.

What do you say ?. Thanks very much for your advice :sun:

I've had the same issue trying to source a crash bar with screws. One person breaking an Octavia on eBay wanted £19 for the six screws!

Don't trust the parts catalogues or dealers catalogues either as the part numb they list is for the door locks and is way too short to be of any use to the crash bar (trust me I have just tried it). The ones that hold the rear exhaust hang run place are just long enough to do the job and have a decent sized head. Still no where near as big as the original bolts that I removed from mine.

Order those (at about £1 a piece) or source some other bolts of the same thread (M8 I believe and about 2 cm long).

Heat shield screws are not necessary as the large metal 'cages' can be gently prised off (if they don't screw off) and then have the tabs pressed back before reusing.

If you are lucky the screws for the crash bar will have been put back in the holes after the crash bar was removed to stop water getting back in to the boot well.

The towbar is secured to the sides of the vehicle. The crash bar to the rear. Different screws I'm afraid.

HTH

• Like 1

Generic M8 (I think). But you'll need one with quite a wide flat base to the head.

The actual bolts I removed had a 12 point spline hole in them. The bolts I'm using (Skoda Octavia exhaust hanger bolts) have a standard bolt head and are smaller than the ones I removed.

The M8x14 bolts on the parts catalogue are wrong.

You'll need M8x18 as a minimum (p/n N90471802), ideally M8x22.

HTH

• Like 1

I might have a bar and bolts for an estate I say might took it of 7 years ago and put in garage loft will have a look later today.

If you do, can you post a picture of the bolts and a part number (if there is one on them).

This will help other identify the correct bolts in the future.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...