Skoda 1.2 Power steering Fluid Low?

sulayman95

Just checked the power steering fluid and it seemed pretty low. Checked it with the dipstick and it does not even make contact with it. No fluid at all touches the dipstick. When I screw it right in it makes d slightest touch but is no way near the marker it should be in.

Should I be worried? 

I'm going to top it up asap. Can I use any power steering fluid?

Thanks

no stick with VW stuff--better still while your in there if you have the means suck it out of the res ' and refill

Why can't he use hydraulic oil to top up per my advice, it's just a hydraulic pump with two hydraulic hoses and a hydraulic steering rack the same as every other power steering system on every other car?

You're going to need a very good reason why I've been doing it wrong for 30 years!

• Like 1

Just checked the power steering fluid and it seemed pretty low. Checked it with the dipstick and it does not even make contact with it. No fluid at all touches the dipstick. When I screw it right in it makes d slightest touch but is no way near the marker it should be in.

Should I be worried? 

I'm going to top it up asap. Can I use any power steering fluid?

Thanks

Not sure I'd use the word worried, but you should certainly be curious about where this fluid has gone.  The system shouldn't 'use' any fluid really, so the fact that it is low means you have a leak.  Topping it up will not fix this, but it may be such a slow leak as to be almost irrelevant, unless you have a very fancy driveway that you can't bear to have oil drips on.

Why can't he use hydraulic oil to top up per my advice, it's just a hydraulic pump with two hydraulic hoses and a hydraulic steering rack the same as every other power steering system on every other car?

You're going to need a very good reason why I've been doing it wrong for 30 years!

Because that fluid is the wrong one, using the wrong fluid is a sure way to go about killing the internal seals. IIRC the fluid needs to be G004000M2 which is green in colour.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-G004000M2-Hydraulic-Oil-1-Litre-Green-Power-Steering-Suspension-Fluid-/251245411158?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

no stick with VW stuff--better still while your in there if you have the means suck it out of the res ' and refill

Do you reckon I should drain it all out and put new liquid in? How hard is it and what equipment will I need?

Thanks

Not sure I'd use the word worried, but you should certainly be curious about where this fluid has gone.  The system shouldn't 'use' any fluid really, so the fact that it is low means you have a leak.  Topping it up will not fix this, but it may be such a slow leak as to be almost irrelevant, unless you have a very fancy driveway that you can't bear to have oil drips on.

Yeah that's why I posted a thread as I wasn't sure. I'm going to top it up and keep an eye on it and see if it goes low again. That way I will know if its a leak or not. 

Because that fluid is the wrong one, using the wrong fluid is a sure way to go about killing the internal seals. IIRC the fluid needs to be G004000M2 which is green in colour.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-G004000M2-Hydraulic-Oil-1-Litre-Green-Power-Steering-Suspension-Fluid-/251245411158?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

There is a small possibility that someone has worked on the steering before and not topped it up fully. 

I used this stuff made by Febi which is to Skoda spec http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110845072021?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks for the links!! That's the fluid I'll probably get as its even on Horton Skoda but a bit more expensive there when you add up postage LOL

It's all oil based, whether synthetic or mineral, you can't damage the seals, I've been mucking around with the stuff professionally for 30 years and it's all broadly the same, additive packs differ but the seal specs are the same as well, you need different seals for glycol based hydraulic systems and braking systems use different seals appropriate for synthetic esters.

Which is why I said what I said, any hydraulic oil is fine for topping up, doesn't matter what colour it is, the colour is a dye. I'm not making it up. Mine is clear BTW, not green. Citroen LM fluid is green, guess what, it's hydraulic oil, LM means Liquide Minerale or mineral oil in English!

Pay whatever you like, do what you want, my advice was sincerely given.

Do you reckon I should drain it all out and put new liquid in? How hard is it and what equipment will I need?

Thanks

Just drain what's in the reservoir, no need to drain the whole system. I use a turkey baster, you can get them in pound shops :)

How_Big_is_a_Turkey_Baster.jpg

it's up to you of course---as far as I am concerned, as a rule of thumb BM' VAG and Merc' all seem to use a common type which is not necessarily compatible with other manufactures --I have heard of V-Dub steering being ruined using the wrong stuff -why risk it?      I wouldn't drain it all unless there is good reason,   but I keep syphoning mine approx. every 2-3 years  whenever it's convenient, that way it at least gets refreshed over time   ----if you'd been cycled thousands of times thro' a high pressure pump  you'd be tired and degraded :sweat:  :sweat:  :sweat:

• Like 1