VRS 2 now confused to bits is it worth getting one

dnlbwls

i have seen a few i like ranging from 2010 model and one i could scrape at at 13 model,most seem to be 2011 models

the thing is more i search the more mixed reviews i get which confuses me 

not bothered its auto but i guess with paddles you can muck around yourself once you get used to them

are the engines really that bad ?i have a roomster 1.6 petrol which tbh is great was looking at a  1.2 tfi but im at that age where the 1.4 tsi vrs isn't much more to run and keep,this will be my next car for a good while tbh as i am not one who changes every 3 years unlike the oh

honest opinions please

cheers danny

Edited by dnlbwls
  • Like 1

From June 2010 - about October 2012 you have about 1,800 1.4 TSI CAVE Engine cars in the UK.

450 registered in 2010, then the rest in the 20 months or so.

then about 1,200 with the revised engine in the next 2 years 2012 to now.

Of the early cars, CAVE Engine there are about 2 in 10 that have had replacement engines.

so about 8 out of 10 that have not.

So nothing wrong if it got a new engine, or nothing wrong if it is a good one

Research the car you are looking at.

Warranty & Service Record.  There are enough good ones.

Just be sure to get a Warranty or Extended Warranty.

& there are bargains to be had, CAVE or CTHE.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi

I did um and arr about it after reading through the reviews and this forum but took the plunge in December..  No going back and can honestly say I am so glad I did..

8000 miles in and I am always looking for excuses to nip out…  I honestly don’t think there is anything else on the market that is as good for the money..

i gather that has anyones engine actually blown up though ??thanks for the swift reply goneoffski also

i mean is it reliable even for an early model maybe? i know homework before purchase is an issue 

Edited by dnlbwls

Sharkrider & Furbytom have CTHE estates and had CAVE hatches before that.

None of which had engines that were oil users, or failed.

Estates are only faster on paper, Skoda & VW like the more expensive to be Faster, and lighter,

The Estate on paper is also lighter, in real life it is heavier.

(& would 1 mph extra top speed really matter at twice the NSL?

That must be the longer roof,  but the longer roof can not make a difference to give a better 0- 60 time.  so that must be the heavier car getting better traction. That should be a lesson for all those losing weight to go faster,  VW Technicians can alter science.

vorsprung durch technik, just print the numbers that suits the RRP of a vehicle)

But an estate can and sometimes feel as though it handles better, and gets better traction.

That is the balance of the longer and heavier back end, and stronger rear springs.

george

Engines that were faulty do not blow up,

they cut out, misfire, oil up, fowl spark plugs, burn out valves etc

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-just-reply-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced

Edited by goneoffSKi

Too much scaremongery on this forum.

They don't blow up.

They can use a bit of oil, just top it up when it needs it.

Faulty ones have been replaced, or will be replaced if deemed to be faulty by SUK. Worse case scenario is jumping through a few hoops for them by going through consumption tests.

They can take a spanking, plenty of lads on here can justify to that.... ;-)

They are great little cars. If you want one, just get it. If not there are plenty of other good cars on the market if you are after a warm/hot hatch. Especially if you are not fussed about having an auto or not.

Either way, good luck with the search!

• Like 2

Estates are only faster on paper, Skoda & VW like the more expensive to be Faster, and lighter,

That must be the longer roof, but the longer roof can not make a difference to give a better 0- 60 time. so that must be the heavier car getting better traction. That should be a lesson for all those losing weight to go faster, VW Technicians can alter science.

vorsprung durch technik, just print the numbers that suits the RRP of a vehicle)

But an estate can and sometimes feel as though it handles better, and gets better traction.

That is the balance of the longer and heavier back end, and stronger rear springs.

george

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-just-reply-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced

Yep both our 2011 CAVE hatch and 2014 CTHE estate have been great and used next to no oil.

The CTHE engine brings a host of revisions and is the better unit imho if you can stretch to it.

With a used vRS a decent warranty is a must in my view.

They are fun and capable little cars and in estate form hugely practical. Not exactly being lined up for an entry in the hot-hatch hall of fame but as an all-round package they are great :-)

Estate cars have lower drag coefficent compared to their hatch counterparts. this helps it reach higher top speed for the same output engine power.

That must be the longer roof,  but the longer roof can not make a difference to give a better 0- 60 time.  so that must be the heavier car getting better traction. That should be a lesson for all those losing weight to go faster,  VW Technicians can alter science.

george

We know, a whole 1 mph extra officially.

But it can not be more than that 1 mph,

because those faster again figures are reserved for the even more drag coefficient, (Are they actually ?)

premium brands that are not Estates or Skodas, 

& that will be Seat Ibiza Hatch, Polo GTI Hatch & Audi A1 Hatch / Barn door like, with the same power and more weight and wider tyres.

Different gearing by a greater rolling circumference of the tyres.

(& by coincidence, higher prices.)

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

They're great fun.  Get the chassis number before you commit and take it to your nearest Skoda dealer/service garage and get a printout. Mine had the breather mod and new piston rings rather than a new engine. It uses around 0.5l/1000miles which I regard as  acceptable. It's a performance car after all and in my younger years I accepted double that oil consumption on a far less stressed engine.  The vocal few make it sound worse than it really is. A new engine is many thousands of pounds, an extra half litre of oil is about 4 pounds and even if this knackers the catalytic converter they are only a few hundred quid from a main dealer.

• Like 1

It is a nice little car and forums like this will always highlight the defects and issues so it is easy to believe that they are extremely prevelant. You could use this to your advantage and go in with it to an unwary sales person and push them fro a lower price and/or decent warranty.

If you like the car go for it as all cars and engines have issues and at some point you will get bitten. Cars are an expensive necessity for most, so you might as well enjoy bit of what you like!

• Like 1

Lot of car for the money, the estate is especially nice as it's a much better load lugger than you'd ever expect (don't think any other superman has a 505 litre boot!) And drives nigh on the same as the hatch.

Don't get too scared off by all the horror story's you hear, you'll see the worst of it on forums such as this and mostly been bad luck rather than the product being really poor.

My only gripes with the car are that in standard form it doesn't handle particularly brilliantly and the brakes aren't really up to the job if you start using them reasonably heavily (could have done with 312mm front discs). All things that are fairly easily corrected (though I never had the inclination).

The engine is fabulous and offers serious go for a 1400 cc, gearbox is also quite nice and whilst ultimately I prefer a manual it did I suppose add a bit of a playstation feel to the car but in a nice way. Also very docile when you didn't want to shift around apart from step on throttle response being a bit sharp due to the supercharger chiming in almost from idle.

I'd recommend a later car though as the build will undoubtedly be better than an early car and most reports on here suggest the CHTE engined versions are both likely to be more robust and offer a little more standard power than the CAVE (suggested the newer motor is the slightly higher output version fitted to the face lift Ibiza Cupra and A1 S-line though Skoda never changed their figures).

Edited by pipsyp
  • Like 2

17_18h_IMG_3643.jpg

17_18h_IMG_3645.jpg

10_11h_IMG_2222.jpg

I'm enjoying mine ;)

Love the pics Dave, but is that really 3 rear-view mirrors you have on the windscreen?! Presumably to make triple sure you don't miss he look of horror on other drivers faces when it dawns on them that they have just been wasted by a little Fabia on track lol!

• Like 1

lol... I teach people to drive in it Tom.... One mirror I look behind (from the passenger seat) and the other mirror, I can see where the driver is looking ;)  thats why Ash knows what comming behing us on the vids!

Haha I used to know a driving instructor with a similar set-up. The third mirror was a vital piece of kit - angled downwards so he could at all times keep an eye on the college girls 'airbags' as he was teaching them.... ;-)

• Like 1