Fuel filler cap stuck - can I just snip the wires?

c21vhpd

First post, so hello all!  I've had my 4x4 170 estate for a couple of months now, a 60 plate bought at 50k miles, and am very happy with it.  Most niggles I've sorted out from reading posts in this forum, except for this one: stuck fuel filler cap.

I've had the fuel cap assembly out and verified that it is the motorized locking mechanism itself which is sticking.  I don't much fancy my chances of getting the lock assembly open to clean and lube the lock (I always seem to end up breaking all the lugs, and there are *a lot* of them), and I'm currently too lazy to contemplate pulling out boot trim to aid in re-fitting a new assembly.

So I wondered if I could simply cut the wires going to the lock, leaving it permanently unlocked.  Other than risking having all my fuel stolen, my only other concern is getting a CAN bus warning light.  Has anyone tried this approach and know for sure if it triggers a warning?

• 3 weeks later...

Snipped the wires this morning, and I'm happy to report that there are no error messages afterwards.  I can now fill up without having to press the unlock button on the keyfob 74 times with the hazard lights blinking in concert...   :clap: