Wobble under acceleration.

Whitey779

Hi guys.

I have a 2012 monte carlo 1.6 diesel.

When I accelerate slowly... Most notably when I head from a 40 zone in 5th into a national limit and I slowly accelerate with traffic, however it does it in all gears... I get a wobble in the car. Almost like an unbalanced wheel... If I accelerate hard I don't feel it. I know it's not wheel balance and it's only when accelerating.

Any ideas? If it's a warranty job I will head straight to Skoda. But I work away during the week so it's hard.

Jon

If it is not Torque Steer, 

& you know it is not the Wheel Balance or a faulty tyre because you have had it balanced.

?

Have you tried putting the Front Wheels / Tyres to the rear, rear to the front and seeing if the car behaves the same?

george

Hi guys.

I have a 2012 monte carlo 1.6 diesel.

When I accelerate slowly... Most notably when I head from a 40 zone in 5th into a national limit and I slowly accelerate with traffic, however it does it in all gears... I get a wobble in the car. Almost like an unbalanced wheel... If I accelerate hard I don't feel it. I know it's not wheel balance and it's only when accelerating.

Any ideas? If it's a warranty job I will head straight to Skoda. But I work away during the week so it's hard.

Jon

Have you got a set of winters you could put on to confirm the problem is not in the wheels or tyres?

I did this, test drove it (all ok), and then put one of the original wheels&tyres back on individually until the problem returned.  Turned out it was congealed sealant from a previous puncture repair which had come away in large chunks, creating a wobble.  Have you ever used compressed sealant to fix a puncture?

HV

• Like 1

If you are accelerating in 5th gear from 40mph, then the revs are far too low for the 1.6cr to always do a nice smooth job of picking you up, and you are likely to be coking up your egr too and not doing the dpf or dmf any good. The wobble is maybe caused by a couple of things. All connected to the low revs you seem to be using (although I don't completely know your driving style of course). Not the tyres I would suggest. Use higher revs by staying in 4th at speeds below 50-55mph.  This will prevent minor overfuelling building up, which is probably one of the things occurring in your engine at those low revs and is likely to be a cause of the wobble you complain of. Remember, 5th gear is not a target and should only be used as an overdrive when needed. The 1.6cr needs to rev, it's a shorter stroke diesel engine with low piston speed. You cannot drive it around in very high gears at low speeds like the older diesels with long stroke engines. If you do it will suffer long term. It will help with fuel economy too if you don't slog it around in too higher gear.  It's unlikely to be a misfire particularly as it's a diesel. The other thing it can be is the Dual Mass Flywheel pulsing with torque as you accelerate from too lower revs. It happens, I've experienced it before on other engines of this type, but it ain't good for the engine in any way shape or form. Use more revs! 

PS. no offence meant about the 'use more revs' thing. Many folk though don't realise the 1.6 is not like other diesels and does need to rev more especially when asking it to do work. Ignore the dash economy lights. These encourage you to engage too higher gear too soon. So use lower gears to allow it to rev more. It solves all sorts of problems if you do and makes the engine last longer. I bet you don't get the wobble if you accelerate in 4th gear instead of 5th. 

Edited by Estate Man
  • Like 1