Dan's 20v 1.8T Fabia Estate

DanHarper

Now that my Ibiza is nearing stripped I thought it was time to push the button on a Fabia. (Mods, can we merge this and my Ibiza thread?) So I bought this from Gumtree:

%2524_86%2520%25282%2529.JPG

Posted on Gumtree late last night, I set off to Liverpool with a sleepy/annoyed girlfriend at 7:30.

The seller said that there is an immobilizer fault, not really a problem given what I wanted to do with the car. Engine started, we put some petrol from a can I brought with me (knowing about the fault and not wanting to switch the engine off to fill up), and parted with some cash.

Set off up the M62, everything seems fine. Engine is slightly lumpy/ticky on idle, assume its just the sophistication of the 1.4 8v shining through. The sound appeared to be louder by the time I got near to home and off the motorway...

Managed to get it home without even dipping in to the red on the fuel, but as I got back in after moving my Celica off the drive I noticed a funny smell. Got it parked up and there was smoke pouring out of the bonnet.

Oil everywhere... I'd be so peeved if I'd bought this to use! Looks to be coming from what I think is the rocker gasket (weird looking engines these 8vs...).

More to come :)

• Like 3

Other than the obvious (the engine ejecting its oil) and the less obvious (immobilizer fault), its a fairly tidy car. There is some very minor damage to the rear bumper I may or may not fix. The interior is quite clean (not that it matters as the seats will be going), the engine bay is also quite clean (where there isn't oil) and it brakes and pulls (slowly) in a straight line. It has 4 tyres with very good tread, however, the broken 1.4 can make them squeal so I'm thinking they are not of the highest quality. I didn't even bother looking at service history. Not that any of that matters anyway as its all going in the bin!

As the MOT is about to run out, my plan was to first do all the suspension/brakes/axle swap/polybushing and then put it through the MOT with the 1.4 still in place. Then I can swap the 1.8 in and drive it to get the exhaust done, remap done etc. without having to worry about the dash being lit up like a Christmas tree due to the SAI delete etc. So I will try and fix the 1.4... I'll get some pictures and if anyone has any suggestions of cheap/quick fixes for the oil leak I'm all ears. Also anyone have any idea whether its possible to just disable the immobilizer full stop? I don't want the intermittent fault rearing its head during the MOT, and there's little chance of it being nicked while its a work in progress blocked in by 2 cars on my drive/in the garage. When I transplant the 1.8 I'm going to move all the locks/ignition barrel etc over anyway so the fault should be with one of the parts that goes in the bin.

Other than the obvious (the engine ejecting its oil) and the less obvious (immobilizer fault), its a fairly tidy car. There is some very minor damage to the rear bumper I may or may not fix. The interior is quite clean (not that it matters as the seats will be going), the engine bay is also quite clean (where there isn't oil) and it brakes and pulls (slowly) in a straight line. It has 4 tyres with very good tread, however, the broken 1.4 can make them squeal so I'm thinking they are not of the highest quality. I didn't even bother looking at service history. Not that any of that matters anyway as its all going in the bin!

As the MOT is about to run out, my plan was to first do all the suspension/brakes/axle swap/polybushing and then put it through the MOT with the 1.4 still in place. Then I can swap the 1.8 in and drive it to get the exhaust done, remap done etc. without having to worry about the dash being lit up like a Christmas tree due to the SAI delete etc. So I will try and fix the 1.4... I'll get some pictures and if anyone has any suggestions of cheap/quick fixes for the oil leak I'm all ears. Also anyone have any idea whether its possible to just disable the immobilizer full stop? I don't want the intermittent fault rearing its head during the MOT, and there's little chance of it being nicked while its a work in progress blocked in by 2 cars on my drive/in the garage. When I transplant the 1.8 I'm going to move all the locks/ignition barrel etc over anyway so the fault should be with one of the parts that goes in the bin.

100bhp?

Turns out the oil is ****ing out the engine in pretty much every way it can (judging by the oil spread, quite a bit came out via the dip stick). Despite putting quite a lot on the underside of the car and I suspect the M62, the dip stick is still off the scale! Probably a couple of more liters than necessary! So, its either a) incompetence B) overfilling because its burning it and they want it to last a few months before the new owner finds out. Either way my first task is to clean my oil bowl, drain the oil, and measure out the correct amount to go back in (not putting fresh in for another 20-40miles tops...).

So happy I don't need this engine.

Turns out the oil is ****ing out the engine in pretty much every way it can (judging by the oil spread, quite a bit came out via the dip stick). Despite putting quite a lot on the underside of the car and I suspect the M62, the dip stick is still off the scale! Probably a couple of more liters than necessary! So, its either a) incompetence B) overfilling because its burning it and they want it to last a few months before the new owner finds out. Either way my first task is to clean my oil bowl, drain the oil, and measure out the correct amount to go back in (not putting fresh in for another 20-40miles tops...).

So happy I don't need this engine.

Fabia mk2 engine been fitted? :P
  • Like 1

Exactly one of the things that annoys me about my fabia is it has the power and the most of the right bits but the weight distribution could be so much better to maximize the handling

Exactly one of the things that annoys me about my fabia is it has the power and the most of the right bits but the weight distribution could be so much better to maximize the handling

Mk2 Fabia VRS trick?

Rear crash bar ballast. :D

• Like 2

Bag of sand in spare wheel well

Not a huge difference then and the weight is arguably right where you'd want it.

A quick glance suggests that the battery can be put behind the spare wheel in the well which is the same design as the Cordoba's, allowing a full size spare and full boot which will be nice (on the road at least...), I doubt I'll be doing enough track time to notice the difference.

Sump plug jammed in at an angle... pump ordered to remove the excess oil. Close to just saying sod it on the 1.4. Need to give it a good look over to see if I have any chance of passing the MOT without spending money and decide from there :)

A quick glance suggests that the battery can be put behind the spare wheel in the well which is the same design as the Cordoba's, allowing a full size spare and full boot which will be nice (on the road at least...), I doubt I'll be doing enough track time to notice the difference.

Sump plug jammed in at an angle... pump ordered to remove the excess oil. Close to just saying sod it on the 1.4. Need to give it a good look over to see if I have any chance of passing the MOT without spending money and decide from there :)

Yep that's where my battery now lives. Depending what spec you are going to run it may be the easier option as engine bay space will be tight

I must admit i wanted an estate to start with but mine came up for £150 IIRC might have been £140 but either way to cheap to be picky. Great base car Dan hope it goes well

Twas a good price. Cheapest I was looking at on ebay were £250-£300 + transport as they had no MOT or buggered engines. Hence why I jumped on this estate (normally at a premium anyway) for £400 in a "drive away" (but not too far... haha) condition.

Should be able to get a bit on gumtree/ebay for the 4 nearly new tyres... won't put them on here as they are HORRENDOUS. Came on to my road at 20mph nearly mounted the pavement in a massive squealing under steer moment.

Twas a good price. Cheapest I was looking at on ebay were £250-£300 + transport as they had no MOT or buggered engines. Hence why I jumped on this estate (normally at a premium anyway) for £400 in a "drive away" (but not too far... haha) condition.

Should be able to get a bit on gumtree/ebay for the 4 nearly new tyres... won't put them on here as they are HORRENDOUS. Came on to my road at 20mph nearly mounted the pavement in a massive squealing under steer moment.

How much? :P
  • Like 1

Yep that's where my battery now lives. Depending what spec you are going to run it may be the easier option as engine bay space will be tight

Probably not going to be as tight as yours, will be going for a Seat Sport style intercooler I think and follow a standard route for the pipes.

Did see a golf at Combe with a dual filter stainless tip which would fill that space nicely :)