P0322 - Engine Speed Sensor

spgSCOTT

Hi all

The car turned off on me yesterday, throwing this error. Had a look at the ross-tech pages and seems that this is the same thing as the Crankshaft position sensor? (G28)

I have read that this may be something that I could replace, but I am not sure. (Bear in mind I am a complete novice with no tools, or anything.)

The Haynes manual says that on my car it is "mounted on the left hand rear of the cylinder block, next to the transmission bellhousing and access is very difficult."

The pictures are helpful, but they are very specific. Does anyone have any wider images, that may help me locate it and work out my options?

The car has randomly been dropping revs before now, for about half a second then returning to where they were (if at speed) causing a bit of a jolt. I guess this was an indication of it going. The Error is still there I believe (need to go and check again) but the car seems to run ok.

Had a look in the guides section, but I couldn't seem to find anything.

Do you have the part number that I am looking for too?

Thanks,

Scott

Edited by spgSCOTT

Hi there, do you know what your engine code is? There's a three letter code found on a sticker under the boot carpet and also on a copy sticker in the front of your service book.

Spot on, thanks for that.

Looks like it will be quite awkward to get to. Had a poke around in the engine, I can find it. Getting it out, that will be another matter I fear.

Guess I will have to see how much it will cost me to have it done. If I can do it myself, I am slightly inclined, as I need the car. That and it has only just come out after having a new PAS pump fitted...so, reluctant to spend more on it.

Thanks again :)

Scott

Edited by spgSCOTT

No, I don't have any. My first car of ~3.5 months so still getting used to it all. Whether I will get myself set up with all of the stuff I don't know.

I think it could be done, I'd just be worried about getting it back in, as I would kinda be doing it blind. Maybe set up a set of mirrors or something :D

Sometimes even a high enough curb to drive up is enough to get clearance under a car. But best not to do when raining as you will be in the gutter.

:D

May have been easier on the speed bumps around here, they are more like mini mountains. Seriously, almost every car that goes over them catches, unless you crawl. And even then you never know. The thought of all the bumpers and exhausts that have scraped along them...

So, in the process of talking to my mechanic about my options, he said he will get the part in and fit it for me tomorrow.  :)