Brake Disc Wiper

muddyboots

Whilst poking round with VCDS earlier, I was looking in the ABS module, and noticed a feature called "Brake Disc Wiper".

The descriptive text (provided by VCDS) suggests this is a feature of the ABS module that - when the windscreen wipers are active - periodically exerts "minimum brake pressure" on the brake pads to wipe the discs of water.

Looks like it can be enabled or disabled, and was set to enabled by default (and that's how I left it).

Another little feature I'd not heard of before, thought it might be of interest :)

Has to be like that too, as one cannot apply slight brake pressure with the brake pedal whilst driving forward with one's foot on the throttle to DRY YOUR BRAKES (as the sign used to suggest) as the throttle is immediately closed.

Has to be like that too, as one cannot apply slight brake pressure with the brake pedal whilst driving forward with one's foot on the throttle to DRY YOUR BRAKES (as the sign used to suggest) as the throttle is immediately closed.

My memory of the sign was that it said "TRY YOUR BRAKES". Obviously don't throw the anchor out whilst being followed, but a brief brake test is enough to both clear the discs and reassure yourself they still work.

I was always under the impression that disc brakes were self cleaning. Unlike drums ! You only had to see a puddle with drum brakes and you had to drive with your foot gently waming the brakes to dry them out. Ah the good old days !

Not !!!