Mk III Octavia vRS - water pump problem

kog

My first "issue" in four years of relatively happy Skoda ownership.

Mk III vRS TSi - eight months old, less than 8k. Returning home late at night recently, I had an instrument panel warning that the coolant level was low. On checking the level in the tank (on a level surface and after the engine had cooled down overnight) it was well below the "min" - two weeks earlier it had been normal.

The local dealer diagnosed a leaking water pump and, from the discussion with the service manager, it wasn't a great surprise. Allegedly, there is a vulnerability with a temperature sensor attached to the pump body, and I inferred that it wasn't confined to any particular model. It's been replaced under warranty. 

I hope it's just a blip........................

Just make sure the timing belt is done at the same time under warranty. You can only tension the belt once. If they refuse, get skoda to give you in writing that the belt will not fail before the change date.

I had exactly the same issue with my VRS TSI when one week from new. I noticed wet spots on my drive and pink fluid trapped within the plastic undertray. Fluid level was just above min when spotted (so no alarms) but there was a constant slow drip after warming the engine. Skoda Assist (RAC) said the radiator was leaking so I booked in to the dealers, but it turned out to be a damaged water pump seal. Replacement is apparently extremely tricky, requiring removal of the front bumper, radiator and plenty of other bits and bobs. It also took my dealer a few attempts at clearing air locks within the cooling system after they bolted everything back together and filled it.

Mine was changed 6 months ago, but funnily enough the car indicated a low coolant level warning yesterday morning. It is the first time I have had to top it up since the replacement but I could not see any obvious signs of leakage. Hopefully it is just standard usage.

Edited by Orville

Mine was changed 6 months ago, but funnily enough the car indicated a low coolant level warning yesterday morning. It is the first time I have had to top it up since the replacement but I could not see any obvious signs of leakage. Hopefully it is just standard usage.

It is a sealed system and should not use any coolant.