140 hp 2000CC diesel Yeti allowable towing weight

oriki

Hello all

My vehicle licence allows me to tow a meagre 750 Kilograms which is about 1654 Lbs.

This makes my Yeti unfit to tow a sizeable roomy caravan ,and limits me to a very small one.

I was wondering,how much are you allowed to tow in the UK,and in Continental Europe, for that matter?

How much is the 1.2 liter Yeti allowed to tow?

Your opinions welcome and appreciated.

Edited by oriki

Its more or less the same here for all people after 1997, with an exception for total train weight. You can tow a 1.5 ton trailer with a 2 ton vehicle as its under 3.5t combined. This changed slightly recently, to be a little more restrictive.

If you passed, in a car, before 1997, you can drive a 7.5 ton truck with a 7.5 ton trailer, with no further training...

For the purpose of clarity.

With a post 1997 license you can drive a combination up to 3500kg gross so long as

-the UNLADEN weight of the car exceeds the GROSS weight of the trailer

- the sum of the vehicle and trailer gross weights is less than 3500kg

-the manufacturers recomendations are met

(If your vehicle is 3500kg gross you can tow a trailer of 750kg only.)

As huskoda says, a 2000kg gross car could tow a 15000kg gross trailer but only so long as the car was greater than 1500kg UNLADEN.

As a worked example my old golf 150 TDI pulled a trailer of 1300kg gross. The unladen weight of the golf was 1464kg so acceptable for a >1997 license and the sum of the gross weights 3274kg. (The recommended braked trailer weight was 1400kg.) There aren't many cars which are small enough to leave a decent trailer weight and and powerful enough to pull it!

With the yeti (170 TDI), although the braked towing weight is higher at 2100kg the rest is similar, 1465kg unladen for the car means a maximum trailer of 1464kg gross with a >1997 license.

With a 1.2 (1259kg unladen) this comes down to 1200 as permitted by skoda. Whether the 3.5 tonne ruling applies abroad I am not sure. I would suggest that a B+E test is needed.

Edited by ben4012
  • Like 1