Rear wiper stopped working, then it started again

devonutopia

Weirdly whilst halfway around a wet lap on the Nurburgring (with rear wiper on and demister in action) the rear wiper decided to stop working....  Didn't work again that day.

Next morning, it started working again and has been fine since.  Trying to think what could cause it.  First though perhaps the rear window heater being on might have done something.  Then wondered about the switch on the stalk maybe being fishy (all other stalk functions were fine so assumed this not to be the case)

Anyone else ever had an intermittent rear wiper be intermitten for half a day raher than 5 or 6 seconds? :D

• Like 1

yeah, had this a few months ago taking SWMBO up to Heathrow in the ****ing rain. Rear wiper stopped midway through. Parked at H/row, engine off for an hour, get back in and touch wood all's been ok since. A weird one. Need to remove the boot trim and check for corrosion next time I think.

is the boot light on the same loom as mine's got a mind of its own :(

Dodgy boot light is usually caused by the switch which is part of the latch mechanism. This was my solution to it :D ...

SS857690.jpg

• Like 1

Dodgy boot light is usually caused by the switch which is part of the latch mechanism. This was my solution to it :D ...

SS857690.jpg

Same problem with the erratic boot light but don't really want to go to the hassle of replacing the mech.  I like that idea ^ !! Not sure I can be bothered with that either mind... hmm

Same problem with the erratic boot light but don't really want to go to the hassle of replacing the mech.  I like that idea ^ !! Not sure I can be bothered with that either mind... hmm

You could always put the switch on the same side as the light which would be a bit easier. I just preferred it on the other side.

The wiring is dead easy. Cut the brown/green wire off the boot light connector plug and join a longer wire to it. Connect that wire to one switch terminal. Connect the other switch terminal to an earth on the car body. Simples.

Well, this morning it was dead again.  No action from the motor, and no rear washer pump operating either.  I am beginning to wonder as the wiper stops working AND the rear washer pump stops too, whether the issue is with the stalk?

Well, this morning it was dead again. No action from the motor, and no rear washer pump operating either. I am beginning to wonder as the wiper stops working AND the rear washer pump stops too, whether the issue is with the stalk?

Put rain X on it and de wiper grommet ;)

Put rain X on it and de wiper grommet ;)

I did that before, but actually got fed up so "re-wipered"  The rain repellent never really stopped it clagging up in bad weather - I just want this little glitch sorted now.

• 2 weeks later...

OK - after being dead for the last week and me being resigned to fitting a new one IT WORKED TODAY!

Now I am at a loss.....   Suggest it's an electrical issue perhaps?  I am wondering more and more if possibly the stalk is at fault maybe, although not heard of this happening before I think.

How about the possibility of a broken wire making intermittent contact inside the rubber sheath from the body to tailgate?