1.6 tdi update: timing belt every 5 years

jaxx007

I took my car for a service yesterday and asked for the price of timing belt, water pump, tensioner etc because my car is 4 years old in march. They said all in for 400 but they had a bulletin updating the interval to 5 years instead of 4. They entered my reg on the system and it brought up when everything was due for a service/change and the timing belt was 5 years or 140, 000 miles or km (can't remember which). Anyway needless to say I was very pleased. :-D

Edited by jaxx007

Regardless of miles they should be changed at the fist interville that it has reached.ruber detiorates after time which can lead to it cracking and making the belt weak. Personally if I was you I would take the top cover off and just check the condition of the belt.

• Like 1

I emailed Skoda about this, as I wanted to know what they now say the interval is, as have heard that it's much longer in other countries (despite being the same product).

They replied with the below - they didn't answer about the difference in suggested change intervals in the rest of Europe.

Subject:    SD-2014/09-019157

Dear (removed)

Thank you for your recent contact in relation to the cambelt on your vehicle. Please accept my apologies for the delay in my
response. I have attempted to call you on the number which we have on our records. Unfortunately, I was unsuccessful in reaching
you.

I can confirm that the replacement interval for the cambelt on your vehicle is 140,000 miles or five years (whichever comes
first).

I hope this information proves useful. If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me quoting the above
reference number. Thank you for contacting ŠKODA UK.

Kind regards

Philip Rhodes
Customer Relations Advisor

4/5 years is SUK's "recommendation", ie it is not mandatory. I challenged it over a year ago and got an email response to this. I then also specifically challenged the fact that workshops claim 4/5 year replacement is mandatory and again got an email stating "it is just a recommendation". Frankly, it's VAG UK con, discussed many times before, no other VAG distributor in Europe has time limit on belts, just mileage limit. Don't fall for it, inspect belt from half mileage onwards, replace if visibly worn or if reached mileage.

Edited by dieselV6

But you know how you drive.

If you buy an Ex lease car at 3 or 4 Years old, and that has been doing 30,000 miles a year,

maybe a Hire Car or Driving School vehicle,

or even maybe one that has only done 3,000 miles a year as a Mobility Finance Lease car,  you may well choose to have 

a Full Major Service done including belt change.

george

Low mileage cars often can mean more stress on the belt due to more cold starts etc. That's why there is a time limit.

Skoda recently changed their timing belt intervals for all cars manufactured after a certain date (some time in 2010 I believe).

Phil

But you know how you drive.

If you buy an Ex lease car at 3 or 4 Years old, and that has been doing 30,000 miles a year,

maybe a Hire Car or Driving School vehicle,

or even maybe one that has only done 3,000 miles a year as a Mobility Finance Lease car,  you may well choose to have 

a Full Major Service done including belt change.

george

Agree i have owned it from virtually new so know its history, an ex lease or company car driven like an F1 racer would certainly be treated to a belt change, when we had my partners 1.9TDI Elegance Fabia done a year ago (its an 06 plate) it had done 50k on the clock and the belt was virtually new..... when compared to the new one it was hardly any different and that was at 7 years old when it should have been changed after 4.

Edited by Hudson1

Peoples Experiences and Workshop Reports, Warranty Claim Numbers is how Manufacturers know they can Extend Service Schedule Times and Guidelines.

(as well as other stuff.)

When a New Car, totally new like a Up! Mii Citigo come out, you do not know how they will be after 3 years untill after 3 years from them going on sale to the public.

Even if they tested as Mules for 18 months.

The vRS MK2 was on Fixed Servicing, and then after 2 years was given a Variable Servicing Code.

They have a 40,000 mile Spark Plug Service Schedule and have since 2009

Yet Spark Plugs have been failing at less than half that for 3 years now & VW never tell the Workshops / Technicians 

that they should not stick to Service Schedules or Guidelines,

& report Failing Plugs to Skoda HQ, and they may review the Service Schedule.

There is a Difference Between Lease / Fleet Servicing and Service Plans, & EU / UK & Rest of World.

Service & Maintenance & then Private Owned cars and Dealerships wanting Income from Service & Maintenance.

Volkswagen Group seem to make it up on the hoof, more than other Manufacturers,

& VW's can have the Same engines as in a Skoda and different Service Regimes.

What VW do not do is give 5 Year Warranties as Standard, you pay to get the extra 2 years,

& the chance of 7 Year Warranties as Standard with VW Products is probably never going to happen.

They have no faith in there own Products and Components.

What VW do not do is give 5 Year Warranties as Standard, you pay to get the extra 2 years,

& the chance of 7 Year Warranties as Standard with VW Products is probably never going to happen.

They have no faith in there own Products and Components.

I have always wondered about this, its the like of Kia and Hyundai that give the 5 and 7 year warranties but the so called '' premium '' makers appear not to have much faith in their own products by still giving the usual 3 year warranty....... says a lot about how the Koreans are starting to build cars i think.

• Like 1

I have always wondered about this, its the like of Kia and Hyundai that give the 5 and 7 year warranties but the so called '' premium '' makers appear not to have much faith in their own products by still giving the usual 3 year warranty....... says a lot about how the Koreans are starting to build cars i think.

But those warranties aren't quite the same as not everything is covered for the full period. Some things are only covered for 3 years.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Been told that skoda's built before August 2010 are every 4 years for timing belts. Skoda's built from September 2010 are every 5 year's.

So my car was ordered at the height of the VAT Free offer in July 2010 and delivered at the end of September 2010. Anyway I can find out whether it is 4 or 5 years?

Phone a dealer, ask them to check the Interval. All you need to give them is the reg plate and they can tell you when your service is due, brake fluid, fuel filter and timing belt intervals etc over the phone.

They often do tell you,  over the phone, or sitting face to face over the Service Reception Desk.

What the person says after reading what they see on the screen is not always correct though.

Like the 'Pretty Faced blonde one (dyed) ', that told me, my MK2 vRS must be a Diesel even though she was checking the VIN & Reg No.,

and she said they do not come as Automatics.

She has only been working there for 5 years, and she still was convinced i was wrong and she was right,

when i walked out.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi

Isnt it pointless to say the interval is mandatory, when the warranty will have long expired and even consequential failure of such items would not be covered, and even if it failed in warranty, they would wriggle out with "fair wear and tear"

Conti engineered the cambelt drive for VAG, and have long claimed "lifetime", although what constitutes "lifetime" is unclear. If its easy, a regular inspection of the belt would be the way to go. Back in the days of the mk1 fabia, the service book recommended this approach in the printed schedule.

Having said all that, I believe the majority of cambelt failures have been due to tensioner failure or auxiliary failure e.g. seized water pumps driven off the belt, which I think they dont do any more.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1