Knocking sound

Hi all I've just noticed everytime I come to a stop in my 55reg superb 1.9 tdi auto I hear a single knocking sound coming from the front left wheel the car drives well no problems apart from this knock when I stop

My mechanic can't look at it till next week so in the mean time do any of you guys know what it could be

Thanks

Jonathan-Luis

Could be one of many things.  Does it sound rotational or is it as the car settles back on its suspension.  Can you replicate it by bouncing the car up and down when stationary?

I'd start with making sure the wheel bolts are nipped up properly, then clean up the calliper carrier and pads in case the pads are sticking a bit.  Then I'd be having a good look at the suspension for movement/worn bushes, broken spring, and then seeing if the driveshaft is okay.

Gaz

Hi thanks for replying it's just one single knock when the car actually stops.

It sounds like a metal knock if that makes sense

Bolts are on tightly bouncing the car doesn't make the sound so I'll try the other things you have said

Thanks again

Jonathan-Luis

Have the front brake pads been fitted the correct way round? There is a rotational arrow stamped in the spring clip which fits inside the piston. The pads will fit either way (brilliant design) but if you get it wrong, the pads are not fully rigid in the calipers. The inner pads are handed, L & R. This would give a knock on rock-back when you stop.

rotodiesel.

Edited by rotodiesel