Stained windscreen

Stormchaser

Eversince I've had my windscreen replaced with a genuine VAG one it's become very stained on the outside and nothing will remove it. I've tried:
Vinegar
Neat screenwash
Methilated spirit
Paint thinners
Glass polish
Neat traffic film remover (very strong )
Tar and Glue remover
Graffiti remover
Petrol
I replaced the wiper blades first. No good still the same.
When its damp and you put the wipers on it just doesn't clear. You can see dried on streaks all down the windscreen. It's ridiculous trying to drive this thing emoji35.png
Anyone got any ideas what to do next ?
Acid?
Hammer ?

That's a possible. Trouble is the wipers just sweep over the windscreen and leave all these streaks behind and I can't see through them at night. The screen is only a month old.

Complain to Autoglass?

But they'll probably laugh [emoji57]

You say you have used glass polish - by hand?

Try a run over the windscreen with glass polish on the DA.

This worked for me on my girlfriends car.

After a couple of failed attempts by hand - i just got a firm pad on the DA and went for it - sorted.

Hope this helps.

I wouldnt use a DA on the windscreen personally...too much vibration on a clients windscreen...makes me nervous

I always use a rotary if polishing glass..It feels far safer to me

Preferences at the end of the day...but for me. I have to be safe

Cant disagree with that.... depends what kit the OP has in hand; but care should be taken.

DA or rotary - point is that the staining should shift with the assistance machining.

I used Gtechniq G4 with the DA and this solved my problem on the Seat Exeo;

no damage resulted, no insurance claims, no problems with the DA. at all.

Rubbers and windscreen edges taped up to avoid any issues.

One other point to mention to the OP -  where is  the staining is coming from?

Do you park under trees or in an area where there is heavy pollution - seems odd

that this has happened on a new windscreen within your ownership?

Hope this helps.  :thumbup:

That's a possible. Trouble is the wipers just sweep over the windscreen and leave all these streaks behind and I can't see through them at night. The screen is only a month old.

Complain to Autoglass?

But they'll probably laugh [emoji57]

Before you take drastic action on the screen - try cleaning the wiper blades or changing them to rule them out. You wouldn't want to go through all the pain of trying to machine polish the screen or even change it for the problem to remain.

Thanks for the replies :)

I tried new wiper blades first but it made no difference.

The Citigo is parked outside in the open but isn't near any trees. When it gets damp and I put the wipers on you can see vertical stains all over the screen which look like old water streaks that have run down. All of the above I mention don't work :( sadly I don't have any machine polishers to use.

Do you have a rain repellant on the glass, I had similar streaking issues years ago when I used Rain-X.

Saying that, if you have used all of those chemicals on the screen I suspect any repellant would have been removed by now.

Only thing I can think of is give it a good polish & a wipe down with neat IPA, assume none of the marks are on the inside.

• Like 1

All I've used on it is Autoglym glass polish. The inside is totally clear and clean. Then all the staining appeared on the outside. It's strange because the original screen never had this problem. I'll continue to try different things but I've run out of ideas. I would of thought our neat bus cleaner would of done it as it can remove paint when it's neat but it didn't :(