Watch out buying non-VAG pollen filters...

dieselV6

Hi, I'm posting this to warn off against dodgy practice of quite a few parts resellers, including ECP and many Ebay ones. I say dodgy because even when alerted to the practice 6+ times over a period of weeks, they consistently refuse to alter the website, e.g. Eurocarparts have been at it for at least 2 years, or more likely since 2010.

If you are buying pollen filter for your post-2010 Fabia, double check that what is sold to you is not a pre-2010 Mk1 Fabia filter.

Older filters are similar in size but slightly smaller and do not seal the duct properly.

Using an incompatible filter in Fabia Mk2 car with air conditioning will result in cabin smell after a while, as crushed leaves, etc. will end up on evaporator and start rotting there after a while.

Prior to 2010, Fabia filters were loaded into a crate, and then into the pollen filter housing under the dashboard. Since July 2010, there is no crate, and pollen filters for post-2010 cars are about 5mm longer, with about 2mm wider sides in order to seal the housing.

An easy way to tell you got sold a Fabia Mk1 filter when you ordered a Mk2 filter is to put it in the housing, if it falls right out before you replace the cover, it is a Fabia Mk1 filter. Newer filters are larger, seal the housing and stay in place even before bottom cover is replaced.

Another easy way, before you buy the filter, is to check if the website returns same pollen filters for 2009 Fabia as for 2011 Fabia, if it does, the seller is selling incorrect pollen filters as the sizes / part numbers should be different.

By the way, VAG part number for post-July 2010 Fabia 2/ Roomster with air conditioning is 6R0 819 653 (charcoal filter). For earlier cars, up to June 2010, the part number is 6Q0 819 653B.

All comments above are also applicable to Roomsters, same changeover date. HTH

Edited by dieselV6
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi, I'm posting this to warn off against dodgy practice of quite a few parts resellers, including ECP and many Ebay ones. I say dodgy because even when alerted to the practice 6+ times over a period of weeks, they consistently refuse to alter the website, e.g. Eurocarparts have been at it for at least 2 years, or more likely since 2010.

If you are buying pollen filter for your post-2010 Fabia, double check that what is sold to you is not a pre-2010 Mk1 Fabia filter.

Older filters are similar in size but slightly smaller and do not seal the duct properly.

Using an incompatible filter in Fabia Mk2 car with air conditioning will result in cabin smell after a while, as crushed leaves, etc. will end up on evaporator and start rotting there after a while.

Prior to 2010, Fabia filters were loaded into a crate, and then into the pollen filter housing under the dashboard. Since July 2010, there is no crate, and pollen filters for post-2010 cars are about 5mm longer, with about 2mm wider sides in order to seal the housing.

An easy way to tell you got sold a Fabia Mk1 filter when you ordered a Mk2 filter is to put it in the housing, if it falls right out before you replace the cover, it is a Fabia Mk1 filter. Newer filters are larger, seal the housing and stay in place even before bottom cover is replaced.

Another easy way, before you buy the filter, is to check if the website returns same pollen filters for 2009 Fabia as for 2011 Fabia, if it does, the seller is selling incorrect pollen filters as the sizes / part numbers should be different.

By the way, VAG part number for post-July 2010 Fabia 2/ Roomster with air conditioning is 6R0 819 653 (charcoal filter). For earlier cars, up to June 2010, the part number is 6Q0 819 653B.

All comments above are also applicable to Roomsters, same changeover date. HTH

I'm reviving this thread momentarily,I changed my cabin pollen filter last week because according to the service log it hadn't been changed since July 2013.I ordered a Fram filter from a trusted local motor factors shop having checked off the serial numbers with the Fram website entry for my model and year which tallied with the filter already installed.I fitted the filter the correct way for airflow and all was okay on a test run of ten miles.However I've now got that sewery bacteria build-up on the matrix,smell.The aircon was performing okay prior to fitting the new filter but was due for a re-gas in a month or two's time as it wasn't blowing ice cold 100%.

Now, however,its not blowing as hot as it used to either.Should I just go with the aerosol down the vents cleaning option? Any suggestions ? I don't have any budget till [at the earliest ] the end of the month for a re-gas. :think:

Edited by faradaycage

Re-gas will not do anything with the smell I am afraid, there is however plenty of car air con sanitizing solutions.

Why does it smell after the filter change? More airflow dislodged sth perhaps or sth was dislodged during fitting?

Re-gas will not do anything with the smell I am afraid, there is however plenty of car air con sanitizing solutions.

Why does it smell after the filter change? More airflow dislodged sth perhaps or sth was dislodged during fitting?

I might just take it out for a long run with everything set to HOT and try and fry the bacteria on the matrix off.

You could but I'd rather use sth like the below instead of breathing in fried bacteria ;):)

http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/shop/autoglym-air-con-sanitizer-150ml.html?gclid=CMun3cmI_cQCFSLmwgodAZoANg

Yeah I know..lol.I'm just putting off the inevitable spending of money.Every time I spend some money doing a little job on her lately she seems to bite the hand that feeds her by throwing up another knock on job on top of the original one.Mind you ,musn't grumble,I'm learning my way round this car,very quickly as a result [and with help from Briskodans ] ;)

Weirdly,there seems to be less airflow coming through the new filter,and its not like the old one was ruptured or anything,though it was holding on to about half a shot-glass worth of dry leaf fragments....which may mean some rotting leaves are still trapped somewhere else in the system.I.m not brave enough to access the dash side panel as I've only just cured a couple of rattles and squeaks and I don't want any new ones..lol

One thing I did notice though,when fitting the new pollen filter,is that the carriage end doesn't seem to sit flush on the passenger side when the clips are done up,its sort of got an eight to ten mil' offset,no gap to get your fingers or a screwdriver into,but it just doesn't seat itself flush like it seems to on the side facing the driver.Not sure whether thats normal or not because I don't have another Roomster to compare it against.

Edited by faradaycage

So perhaps you bought the wrong one after all? 

Put your reg in the Eurocarparts website and see what pops up

It was the exact Fram numbered one as the one I took it and exactly the same dimensions....its a puzzler.Think I may go out to the car and have a gentle investigative poke around the ducts and fan blades after all,to check for any mouldy leaf build up.

The easy way to check you have the right filter is check the dimensions, ecp and gsf look under specifications / further info

Pre 2010 are 252mm x 216mm

2010 onwards 254mm x 224mm

The bacteria is usually on the evaporator (cooling bit). You usually get the smell when the evaporator is not getting cold enough to supress it.(due to low gas or switched off)

A cheap solution:

buy a can of dettol air freshener, turn off a/c, turn heat to maximum, switch recirc on, fan set to low. Closed windows....

When the car is up to temperature, hot air etc Spray copius amounts of dettol air freshener in the passenger footwell. Recirc will draw the spray in and keep it in the system

Alternatively remove pollen filter and spray in directly. Once you think there is enough spray in the system, turn off fan and allow a few minutes for it to kill the bacteria. Several applications may be required.

To prevent reoccurence, remember to turn off a/c and turn the fan up for a few minutes before you switch the engine off a/c everytime you park up. That dries the evaporator out and stops the conditions being created for bacteria to thrive.

Check the evaporator drain is not blocked, i.e. look for water being dumped under the car when a/c is on during warm/humid weather. A blocked drain stops the condensed water from draining and often leads to smells and problems with windows misting.

Edited by xman
  • Like 2

I use a smoke machine, and the fogger solution. It is supposed to kill almost all bacteria from the car air con and interior by drawing it through the system when you fill the car with the fogging mist.

The easy way to check you have the right filter is check the dimensions, ecp and gsf look under specifications / further info

The bacteria is usually on the evaporator (cooling bit). You usually get the smell when the evaporator is not getting cold enough to supress it.(due to low gas or switched off)

A cheap solution:

buy a can of dettol air freshener, turn off a/c, turn heat to maximum, switch recirc on, fan set to low. Closed windows....

When the car is up to temperature, hot air etc Spray copius amounts of dettol air freshener in the passenger footwell. Recirc will draw the spray in and keep it in the system

Alternatively remove pollen filter and spray in directly. Once you think there is enough spray in the system, turn off fan and allow a few minutes for it to kill the bacteria. Several applications may be required.

To prevent reoccurence, remember to turn off a/c and turn the fan up for a few minutes before you switch the engine off a/c everytime you park up. That dries the evaporator out and stops the conditions being created for bacteria to thrive.

Check the evaporator drain is not blocked, i.e. look for water being dumped under the car when a/c is on during warm/humid weather. A blocked drain stops the condensed water from draining and often leads to smells and problems with windows misting.

As i said before,its the correct filter alright I always double check before ordering with both the manufacturer and the online parts places.I like the idea of the Dettol air freshener [i've already got some in the cupboard ].Its going to be first on my job list for tomorrow,I'tll certainly be a moneysaver if it works.Thanks to you and everyone else for all the tips.

Edited by faradaycage

A cheap solution:

Tried out your method early this morning,it cured it ! Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

• 7 months later...

Good thread to read after I've just changed the pollen filter today. Nice and easy job to do and I went for an activated carbon filter MANN filter from ECP. Will probably sound silly but I wasn't sure which way it was meant to go in? On one side it had 'air flow' with arrows pointing in one direction, so I put it in with the arrows pointing towards the passenger seat, but the little booklet thing that came with it wasn't terribly clear and possibly suggested the arrows should point towards the engine..

.. Any help? :L

Would appear the dealers actually gave me the wrong filter too, The old one was a bit chunkier but in my own dumb mindedness it went in the hole and had vag on it so just shrugged it off

Thanks for the heads up

I got a Bosch one. Fits my older car perfect. I think you have to slot it back into a plastic frame on mine, if memory serves me well.

Also, as previously mentioned, I smoke the car out with anti bacterial cleaner from time to time.. It cost a few quid to buy a smoke machine and the fluid but the fluid lasts years and the machine can be used for parties too, with the correct fog juice, of course!

• 6 years later...

Great info thanks, I unnecessarily ordered a frame for the cabin / pollen filter from aliexpress for my MK2 facelift as I thought it was missing. The Bosch cabin filter did fit into the frame, just but I was unbale to close the bottom latch afterwards so put the filter back in without the frame as it should be.