Infotainment changes for Yeti

RapidRonnie

They will not replace old style with new, instead you'd end up with a refurb unit exactly the same as the current one.

Along with the infotainment switch will come a change in wiring I guess, since the new units rely on a fibre optic MOST databus and Audi style component protection which ties the headunit to the VIN of the car directly and can only be removed by a main dealer connecting to Skoda HQ in CZ. The Audi system is 12 years old and has not yet been hacked to allow removal any other way. Great anti-theft system and should see a huge drop in stolen headunits.

That's great as its one area where its definitely been left behind... but id have expected this at the facelift stage tbh. Will it be getting a branded audio option at the same time? (or still just the 'sound system' Skoda audio option?

Mirrorlink has been dropped from the Polo so will probably be dropped from Fabia 3 as there appear to have been problems with it (though what they are are unclear). I had ordered it on my Polo order but have been told that it won't come with it.

And to be honest, this whole thread needs a bit more explanation and detail.

Indeed. I guess most owners are only really familiar with the type of unit fitted in their own Yeti. I only know about Columbus. But (presuming that Bolero is just the radio/audio part) isn't Amundsen just the entry-level satnav? And taking the initial post at face value, does that mean that Yeti will no longer have a higher-end satnav option? If so, is this part of the dumbing down or cheapening of all Skoda products under orders from VW Central so that they compete less head-on with eg VW and Audi? Or is there likely to be a son-of-Columbus appearing in the Yeti soon?

Which all rather reminds me of what might be happening to the Yeti engine specs to meet EU6 which I thought was due to come in early next year - thought we might have heard something by now, but maybe the deadline has been pushed back. (And this really ought to be on a separate thread anyway.)

Edited by prodata

It's called a joke.... "To talk humorously or flippantly" :)

A joke that clearly I nor Graham get...

I have re-read your post 5 or 6 times now and I still can't understand what you're trying to say, nor do I find  it amusing in any way?

Just looks like a load of random words assembled to make a nonsensical sentence....

Ideas on how to make a Bolero appear to have died from natural causes?

• Like 3

Blimey, all a bit aggressive, isn't it?

BM65, if you mean (and had said): 'Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a Bolero appear to have dies from natural causes' it would make a lot more sense to me on initial reading and probably to others, I think. 

As for the topic and more explanation - the OP has made a fairly sweeping statement which, I think, others (including me) would be interested to know where the info came from. 

Horlicks time.....

Then by all means feel free to add me to your ignore list and stop wasting your time with topics you have no interest in. Your lack of comprehension is not my concern. If you want assistance try asking for it nicely and I'm sure most people, myself included, will be happy to explain further. Grouchy, antagonistic posts frequently receive grouchy, antagonistic responses.

There are several people whose posts seem pointless to me, but instead or berating them, I simply skip their post or leave the thread. I don't feel the need to hold everyone else to my own personal standards. If it is too much to ask you to do something similar then may I suggest that you go make your own forum, then you can run it exactly how you want to.

As for this forum though, you are not a moderator. I therefore have no interest or need of your advice telling me how or what I should post.

Just in case you are unsure, this post is not a joke. :)

Blimey, did you get out of bed the wrong side this morning?

Jokes are supposed to be funny, as you subsequently wrote, but I still can't see a joke in your original posting. Perhaps you would like to explain it to me and others?

And as for the opening post, perhaps someone would like to explain that as well? I've used the configurator this evening and can find no mention of any changes in the sound systems.

Blimey, did you get out of bed the wrong side this morning?

Jokes are supposed to be funny, as you subsequently wrote, but I still can't see a joke in your original posting. Perhaps you would like to explain it to me and others?

And as for the opening post, perhaps someone would like to explain that as well? I've used the configurator this evening and can find no mention of any changes in the sound systems.

Not at all Graham, I've just learnt from previous experience that some here tend to gang up on certain posters as I'm sure DarrellGB will acknowledge. By nature I am a friendly bloke, but if people want to be aggressive then I respond in the same way that people speak to me.

The point of the post I made was to invite suggestions of techniques I might use to make the Bolero unit in the car I'm about to take delivery of appear to have a malfunction that would require it to be replaced. It is a joke because I would never dream of doing this as I am not so irresponsible. It was a cathartic exercise to allow me to express my frustration at just missing out on the new unit that has some features I would very much welcome.

It appears that mannyo was able to discern the meaning of my flippant remark. However, please allow me to apologise for causing yourself, 137699 and aerofurb any confusion. I hope this explanation relieves you of any lingering confusion. To avoid future confusion please feel free to ignore any future postings I may make.

• Like 1

No, still don't see it as funny, but then perhaps it is a good job that we don't all have the same sense of humour.

And I see no aggression or ganging up, just a request from more than one of us for an explanation because some of us didn't understand the "joke"

And could someone, anyone, PLEASE let us know where we can find out the details of these supposed "new" units???

• Like 1

No, still don't see it as funny, but then perhaps it is a good job that we don't all have the same sense of humour.

And I see no aggression or ganging up, just a request from more than one of us for an explanation because some of us didn't understand the "joke"

And could someone, anyone, PLEASE let us know where we can find out the details of these supposed "new" units???

Nor do I!

The point of the post I made was to invite suggestions of techniques I might use to make the Bolero unit in the car I'm about to take delivery of appear to have a malfunction that would require it to be replaced. It is a joke because I would never dream of doing this as I am not so irresponsible. It was a cathartic exercise to allow me to express my frustration at just missing out on the new unit that has some features I would very much welcome.

It appears that mannyo was able to discern the meaning of my flippant remark. However, please allow me to apologise for causing yourself, 137699 and aerofurb any confusion. I hope this explanation relieves you of any lingering confusion. To avoid future confusion please feel free to ignore any future postings I may make.

Right that all makes sense now.

See I read your post over & over again, and from the wording used I could not fathom what you were trying to say. My post was not a personal attack on you, just simply a post pointing out that perhaps the way you'd worded your statement just caused people to be confused.

That was all.

• Like 1

Sorry, but could someone, anyone, please explain what those last 2 things are? The only thing I do know is the SD card as that is fitted to the current Bolero. 

And a bigger picture perhaps?

Škoda announced this week the new version of the Fabia that comes with MirrorLink technology as well as an API for vehicle data.

MirrorLink allows certified smartphone apps (Android, Windows Phone) to be replicated on the dashboard. The connection works via a USB cable. This is the first car from Skoda that comes with MirrorLink.

This is another example on how the Volkswagen Group is step by step implementing MirrorLink across its brands.

SmartGate

The second “connected“ innovation is “SmartGate,“ which permits the transfer of certain vehicle data such as fuel consumption, average speed, journey costs to specific applications on a smartphone for storage and mobile use. Data transfer is wireless via WiFi technology.

This sounds like an interesting opportunity for developers. However, we hope this system will be easy to implement and completely unified across the Volkswagen Group. If not developers will instead prefer to rely on a standardized OBD plug to get this data.

Skoda already has developed “Skoda G-Meter“, a free iOS application (launched in July on the App Store) that uses SmartGate. It offers real-time car information such as speed, RPM, current gear, acceleration and breaking activation.

• Like 1

The new infotainment prices are published in Finland:

- MirrorLink 160 euros (about 126 GBP), if Bolero or Amundsen with 6,5" screen.

- SmartGate 95 euros (about 75 GBP)

plus taxes.

Edited by Grumpy Finn

These changes are listed in the new brochure too - with photos as well. 6.5" Amundsen with DAB standard in the L&K - yet in typical SUK fashion the brochure ALSO shows that DAB on its own is also an option on the L&K. Wonder if they have ever in their entire existence got a brochure 100% right?

• Like 2