Infotainment changes for Yeti

RapidRonnie

Better go and pickup a new version brochure as my Elegance is showing as Build Wk 46

Although not to be taken as gospel, when I spoke to SUK Customer Service yesterday they were completely unaware of any impending changes to the ICE units.

I'm sure it wouldn't be the first or the last time they haven't been told though.

Dealer came back to me to confirm that New bolero should be fitted from week 45 and as far as they know MirrorLink is Fabia only at the moment. If the earlier posts said so I missed it but also note that no CD player ~~ yeah so no more CDs rattling around in the glovebox /door pockets :notme: 

Here’s what they heard from Skoda,

Our latest infotainment systems have many enhancements over previous versions, such as larger screens, and provide a platform for more improvements and features in the future.

The second-generation Bolero is standard on SE, Elegance and Monte Carlo. It no longer has a CD player, but comes instead with USB and aux-in sockets and integrated Bluetooth. 

The second-generation Amundsen (pictured) has a larger 6.5-inch colour touch display. Like the Bolero, it no longer has a CD player but comes instead with USB and aux-in sockets and integrated Bluetooth. It is standard on SE Business and Laurin & Klement and available as an option in all other Yetis.

Dealer came back to me to confirm that New bolero should be fitted from week 45 and as far as they know MirrorLink is Fabia only at the moment. If the earlier posts said so I missed it but also note that no CD player ~~ yeah so no more CDs rattling around in the glovebox /door pockets :notme: [/size]

Our latest infotainment systems have many enhancements over previous versions, such as larger screens, and provide a platform for more improvements and features in the future.

The second-generation Bolero is standard on SE, Elegance and Monte Carlo. It no longer has a CD player, but comes instead with USB and aux-in sockets and integrated Bluetooth. 

The second-generation Amundsen (pictured) has a larger 6.5-inch colour touch display. Like the Bolero, it no longer has a CD player but comes instead with USB and aux-in sockets and integrated Bluetooth. It is standard on SE Business and Laurin & Klement and available as an option in all other Yetis.

Without Mirrorlink it doesn't seem anything to get excited about. In fact if anything it seems to be a downgrade. I do wonder if they will enable Mirrorlink with a firmware update somewhere in the future. It does seem like VAG has decided not to plump for Apple's CarPlay. +1 for the Android users.

Dealer came back to me to confirm that New bolero should be fitted from week 45 and as far as they know MirrorLink is Fabia only at the moment. If the earlier posts said so I missed it but also note that no CD player ~~ yeah so no more CDs rattling around in the glovebox /door pockets :notme:

There most likely be a CD player in the glove box, as considering a lot of the older generation are not into modern technology, they tend to still use CD's. My girlfriend's father still can't get around the fact I have quite a few cd's on my SD card and it's too technical for him. All he wants is be able put a CD in or press a preset for his radio stations

There most likely be a CD player in the glove box, as considering a lot of the older generation are not into modern technology, they tend to still use CD's. My girlfriend's father still can't get around the fact I have quite a few cd's on my SD card and it's too technical for him. All he wants is be able put a CD in or press a preset for his radio stations

So how about an optional tape deck or 8-track in there too to cater for all the dinosaurs that can't move on with technology??  I think you will find in the future the ONLY way to have those ancient plastic discs on your car, will be to option the six disc CD changer in the boot.  And even then I'd imagine very few companies will still offer such ancient technology for very much longer. Just like you are not able to option a single car with a tape deck any more, CDs will be a non option soon enough.

• Like 3

The problem is that CD has far superior sound quality to any compressed MP3 or file downloaded from iTunes ETC. Some cannot hear the difference, especially if they are not usual CD listeners but in a quality audio system the difference is night and day.

Whilst its inevitable that CD in the mainstream may die a death they will continue to live on, just the same as Vinyl LPs do today.

The problem is that CD has far superior sound quality to any compressed MP3 or file downloaded from iTunes ETC. Some cannot hear the difference, especially if they are not usual CD listeners but in a quality audio system the difference is night and day.

Whilst its inevitable that CD in the mainstream may die a death they will continue to live on, just the same as Vinyl LPs do today.

I hear you on that front, but the compression ratio of your MP3 music is in your own hands if you know what you're doing - so it can still be set quite high. And to be honest in a car with all the other noise once moving, my mind is on the driving and paying attention to that. The music is just something to keep me sane and in a good mood. My humble ears can't hear the difference between a CD or my digital music once on the move. So I'm all ok with the new head units not having a CD player.

• Like 4

What an ageist response!!

I think you might find there are lots of the "older generation" who are owners of Yeti's, and on here, and who cope perfectly adequately with the technology.

I don't think I've used the CD system since just after I first got the car.

And yes, I'm a "coffin dodger"!!

From what I see of these "upgrades" none will be much use to me, as i don't have a compatible phone.

I don't think I've used the CD system since just after I first got the car.

Graham: case in point: I put 6 CDs into my Bolero a month after I got my car in 2010 to drive up to Edinburgh for Hogmanay...  A mix of real CDs and three with MP3s on them. Those exact same six CDs are still in there nearly four years later - I kid you not.

• Like 2

Now onto my second Yeti (in all about 2 1/2 years of yeti ownership) and I don't think a CD has seen its way into either Bolero.

Having mirrorlink etc would be a good thing though - maybe standard by the time I get the next one in 2 1/2 years time

I'm another that's never had a CD in the Bolero in my previous Yeti or in the Columbus in my present Yeti. Most of my music is on an SD card, or on my iPhone. I copied all the CD's I had onto the laptop and threw out the discs a few years ago.

Graham: case in point: I put 6 CDs into my Bolero a month after I got my car in 2010 to drive up to Edinburgh for Hogmanay...  A mix of real CDs and three with MP3s on them. Those exact same six CDs are still in there nearly four years later - I kid you not.

Shurely you mean reel CDs?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

My Elegance 4x4 Tdi 170 was produced on w46 (received it just last Thursday afternoon) and it has new Bolero (no CD). There is MirrorLink icon on selection screen and it can be selected too. After selecting it says: "you can activate the MirrorLink by entering activation key". I can't confirm yet if MirrorLink really works as at the moment I'm using windows phone and there is no MirrorLink app available for windows 8.1, screen mirroring does not work ether and WP car mode is completely useless IMO.

Škoda dealer here in Estonia has no knowledge about it at all. Two weeks after I placed the order they just informed me that my car stereo is going to be without CD. After some research ( https://media.skoda-auto.com/en/_layouts/Skoda.PRPortal/pictures.aspx?scope=P&category=0&year=2014 ) I asked if there is MirrorLink added instead and dealer said NO IT'S NOT. FOR SURE. Just few days before I received my Yeti, I noticed that they changed price list and MirrorLink is there, available as an option for 150€. I asked about it but they told me that even it's on the price list, it can not be ordered yet and they do not know anything about it  :dull: . Photos about Bolero infotainment on Škoda home page gallery are changed too. That being said doesn't mean that I think local dealer is completely incompetent, I think that otherwise they are fine up to customers expectations as they should.

I have another android phone (Samsung Galaxy S4 mini, which skoda-auto declares to be compatible with Bolero) in desk drawer, I didn't liked it (very weak antenna and therefore poor reception, slow and dysfunctional GPS compared to WP, weak battery) and buried it under rest of the useless crap which I'm not yet ready to throw away, but just out of curiosity I'm soon going to dig it out and test if MirrorLink works.

I can't make BT music functioning for some reason: Bolero sees some files in the phone but does not recognize them. Via USB cable it recognizes them though and plays. New Bolero also displays photos but no videos (you can hear audio only). I don't know if previous Bolero did it.

• Like 2

I hear you on that front, but the compression ratio of your MP3 music is in your own hands if you know what you're doing - so it can still be set quite high.

I'd be most surprised if anyone could reliably tell 256kbps MP3 from CD in a moving car.

Even at 192kbps the majority of people I've tested (all of them working in the AV industry to some extent) can't tell the difference through a pretty decent system in a fairly quiet room.

At 320kbps I've found that even self-certified audiophiles don't do much better than chance in a proper double-blind test.

Conversely, at 128kbps most people can reliably tell MP3 from CD, but who rips at that low a rate any more?

• Like 1

Agree with Sporky.. There is so much extraneous noise in a car - which is hardly itself designed to concert hall acoustic standards, its functions being somewhat different - that I am always amazed that people (i) spend loads of money on in-car sound systems, and/or (ii) get into arguments about relative sound quality.  If I want to listen to music properly, I do so at home or in a building designed for such listening.  As background in a car, good enough is good enough.

• Like 1

On my first Aud A3 I specfied a Bose sound system with sub woofer to get better sound. On the second A3 I had, I didn't specify Bose as I didn't think the extra £1000 was worthwhile and quite honestly I could not tell the difference when driving. Cars are not the best place to listen to music if you are a purist.

Dave

• Like 1

I suspect it depends on the car and the upgrade. On the Yeti the additional speakers really fill out the mid-range, and I find the effect quite audible and well worth it. The Audi may well come with a "better" stock system, at which point the Bose is less of an improvement (or, going by my general experience of Bose, a massive downgrade ;) ).

I suspect it depends on the car and the upgrade. On the Yeti the additional speakers really fill out the mid-range, and I find the effect quite audible and well worth it. The Audi may well come with a "better" stock system, at which point the Bose is less of an improvement (or, going by my general experience of Bose, a massive downgrade ;) ).

My Audi A2 had a BOSE system and having been in many other A2s without, the BOSE was amazing. If you turned it up when parked it could make the interior mirror vibrate. The Yeti's upgraded system (which I have) can't dream of vibrating the mirror and is in my book about 30% of what the BOSE in my Audi was. It probably is still better than the stock Yeti system, but I can't say I've ever thought of it as amazing.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Sorry to jump on an old thread but i too have just purchased a new yeti with the new bolero, i was wondering if anybody had managed to active there mirrorlink, when i goto mirrorlink on mine it says "you can activate the function by means of an activation key"???? what does that mean and how do i activate it?

Information is sketchy on Mirrorlink even though the manuals and brochures say that the post November 2014 Yeti has it it has recently been posted somewhere that it is not available yet and even when that happens a licence will need to be bought  :wall:

My Audi A2 had a BOSE system and having been in many other A2s without, the BOSE was amazing. If you turned it up when parked it could make the interior mirror vibrate. The Yeti's upgraded system (which I have) can't dream of vibrating the mirror and is in my book about 30% of what the BOSE in my Audi was. It probably is still better than the stock Yeti system, but I can't say I've ever thought of it as amazing.

I didn't use the word "amazing" at all - just said that the upgraded sound system is, in my view, decent value for the improved performance it affords.

I design and commission AV systems for a living; "amazing" is a word I use pretty sparingly when describing sound systems. :)

Edited by Sporky McGuffin