Drivers don't panic over the death of the tax disc

ColinD

• Administrators
src: FTA -> It’s all change for drivers this week as the tax disc will be no more; drivers will still need to tax their vehicles but will no longer receive a paper tax disc. From 1 October 2014 the law has been amended and the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) will no longer issue the tax disc, saving the taxpayer approximately £10 million per annum. Motorists who fail to comply with the new system could face a £1,000 fine. 

Today the Freight Transport Association (FTA) is reassuring motorists that the change in the vehicle tax system should not cause problems for drivers, but they should be aware of the new process. 

To enable the abolition of the disc, DVLA decided to relook at the Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) process and, as a result, has changed the rules regarding the transfer of vehicle tax,

Ian Gallagher, FTA’s lead on Driver Licensing and Vehicle Registration said:   

“It is imperative that vehicle keepers and potential new vehicle owners are aware that from the 1st of October vehicle tax will no longer be transferable when a vehicle is sold or transferred. The new keeper must purchase tax for the vehicle if they wish to take it onto a public road and the old keeper will automatically receive a refund on any outstanding full months.”   

DVLA will continue to send vehicle owners a renewal reminder when the tax is due to expire, and keepers will still process their vehicle in the same way, either electronically, online or at a Post Office.   This applies to all types of vehicles including those that are exempt from payment of vehicle tax. The changes will apply across Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Mr Gallagher added:

“This is a fundamental shift in the way that the DVLA carries out its business, the removal of a paper disc which was introduced in 1921 is just a first step towards more and more services moving online. FTA believes that the challenge for the Agency moving forwards is to ensure that the systems its designs consider all user groups and particularly bulk business sector requirements.”

Vehicle tax enforcement will be carried out by DVLA using cameras which will highlight the number plates of untaxed vehicles. The Government says that delivering more services digitally will help it cut costs. Switching to digital tax discs will cost £8m to set up but will save £2m a year in administrative costs within three years. Motorists who fail to comply with the new system could face a £1,000 fine. 

To find out more details on the abolition of the tax disc go to: www.gov.uk/dvla/nomoretaxdisc

To check whether a vehicle is taxed online – www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

If you wish to renew a tax disc or set up a direct debit (only available after 1 October 2014)  - www.gov.uk/tax-disc

The statement above suggests they will, I've given this a swift ignoring up 'till now if I'm being honest, but if I read it correctly there is actually no change other than the display of a disk. 

If you change a car now though the VED does not transfer with the vehicle and it is your responsibility to reclaim?

The statement above suggests they will, I've given this a swift ignoring up 'till now if I'm being honest, but if I read it correctly there is actually no change other than the display of a disk. 

If you change a car now though the VED does not transfer with the vehicle and it is your responsibility to reclaim?

If you change a car NOW you are ok if you change a car from TOMORROW the new rules apply

Logic says that the new owner/keeper should pay tax from the start of the next full month on the basis that the previous owner/keeper has already paid and cannot (or will not) be refunded.

Sadly the Government / DVLA have never applied logic and common sense to anything they do and the poor old motorist loses out yet again

Does anyone know what the process will be if you want to change your number plate and put a personalised one on? Previously, if you bought the number plate from a company, you would send in a copy of your existing tax disc and a new one with the new registration number would eventually arrive from the DVLA. Does anyone know what happens now?

Does anyone know what the process will be if you want to change your number plate and put a personalised one on? Previously, if you bought the number plate from a company, you would send in a copy of your existing tax disc and a new one with the new registration number would eventually arrive from the DVLA. Does anyone know what happens now?

Good question I'm about to transfer my plate onto my car just think they will change the details on the database with no need to send anything out.

its a bit of a bummer for those that look at similar cars to theirs that are displaying a current tax disc, if they clone the plates now they may hit on another one with no tax

best regards to all

• Like 3

Good question I'm about to transfer my plate onto my car just think they will change the details on the database with no need to send anything out.

I'll be transferring mine next year. I think it will be just a matter of waiting for the new V5 to arrive before you change your plate to your own one.

Edited by Delberthot

I'll be transferring mine next year. I think it will be just a matter of waiting for the new V5 to arrive before you change your plate to your own one.

i was informed you could do it using the slip that the dealer give me but I'm in no rush to change it as i haven't order the plates yet off the *show plates* website ... don't want all companies writing all over my plates so going to oder the plate as i want it *legal as can be *

Halfords ones are good as their details are in a light shade of silver so not visable unless up close

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Yeahh it's a private plate so wanna take the standard gap out between the 4 and 3 letters :)

So Insted of

0000 000

It's

Hopefully won't cause to much pork magnetisation.

Logic says that the new owner/keeper should pay tax from the start of the next full month on the basis that the previous owner/keeper has already paid and cannot (or will not) be refunded.

Sadly the Government / DVLA have never applied logic and common sense to anything they do and the poor old motorist loses out yet again

It was on Jeremy Vines show on radio 2 last week an estimated 91 million pounds will be generated by the overlap . I always buy a used car on the 1st of the month as I want to get value anyway .

Halfords ones are good as their details are in a light shade of silver so not visable unless up close

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Last time I went to Halfords they had abandoned the normal letters stuck onto the background and instead replaced it with one that comes out of a cheap and nasty printer. There were light patches on some of the letters so the guy who had printed it got out a black marker and started touching them up. :wall:

Needless to say that I walked out without it.

Last time I went to Halfords they had abandoned the normal letters stuck onto the background and instead replaced it with one that comes out of a cheap and nasty printer. There were light patches on some of the letters so the guy who had printed it got out a black marker and started touching them up. :wall:

Needless to say that I walked out without it.

Most company's use printers now but some are better than others.

I think Halfords use laser printing which IMO is crap.

Thermal printing is much better for number plates.

There could be one real major problem with this new system and could be getting tax when you buy a car without planning.

I have very often been to look at a car and bought it on the spot and as they had tax it was no problem just swap the insurance and drive it away. 

So now how will it work if I do the same. I can ring up my insurance or swap it over online in no time but it can take up to 24 hours for it to show up on the database.

So are they going to allow a car to be taxed without insurance.

They should start charging (and refunding!) by the day.  With the excessive Tax at the moment (which mostly goes in to the national treasury as I've been led to beleive), this is clearly going to make fortunes for the DVLA, and cost people who change cars often (likely low income families) a fair bit of money...

Seems a bit like they're forcing people with not much to do stupid things like not buy insurance or not take care of their cars properly.  I know there's no excuse for no insurance, but I can see why it could happen out of desperation...

I'm glad my fab is group 12 and £20 a year, that's for sure...

The main issue I have is what to do with the briskoda richbrook tax disc holder! remove it or find something to put in there?

Just leave your out if date tax disc in there. Really p155 off the traffic wardens.