External Air Temperature Sensor

Morning all...can anyone please tell me where the external air temp. sensor is on my 08 vRS please ??

It is currently showing -3 degrees, so I am guessing that the sensor has gone faulty and have just ordered a replacement from my local motor factors for around £8.

Had a quick search on here and managed to find it's location, remove it and clean the contacts, but they didn't appear to be dirty. Have put it all back together and done the hairdryer test, and all appears ok for now, but time will tell.

Has anyone had a problem with the sensor going faulty ??

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Latest update...the temperature started fluctuating anywhere between -16 and +10 degrees, so I had another play with it yesterday swapping the sensors over and connecting/disconnecting 10 times as suggested on another thread but to no avail. I phoned DM Keith's and spoke to a guy in their parts department to see if they sold a lot of replacement sensors and he said that they had sold one earlier this year and the last one was 4 years ago, so I am guessing it is not a common fault. I did ask how much a new sensor was and he quoted me £21, whereas the Denso one I got from my local motor factors was only £9, yet they are identical, so I am reluctant to fork out for yet another one as I think the problem could be somewhere else. The connector and wiring look to be in top condition.

Does anyone have any suggestions please ???

• 4 weeks later...

I'm really struggling with this now...it's been 3 weeks since my last post on this problem and in that time I've had it on VCDS which did show an external temp sensor fault (can't remember the exact fault code) so I put the original VAG sensor back in and that worked okay for a few days, but then started playing up again, so I got another Delphi one and tried that. It worked okay for a couple of days but has now also started playing up so I have just done a "hard re-set" on the car by leaving the battery disconnected for 45 minutes, but when I re-connected it the temp came up at 3 deg. C then dropped to 2.5 deg. C (it's around 12 deg. C at the minute). Surely someone must have a clue as to where the problem lies ?? 

It may be possible to test each sensor by unplugging it and using a multimeter to measure the resistance, be sure to have both in the same environment if you want to compare readings.

It could be you have a wiring issue further up the line, if it really bothers you that much I'd say unfortunately a dealer is the best place to sort problems with electrickery.

It's not the easiest of diy jobs without knowledge and equipment.

As a warning I wouldn't recommend using a multimeter directly on any vehicle wiring, most are connected to some sort of digital controller and probing with a meter COULD be expensive in the end.

Cheers Micmac...I tried interchanging the 2 sensors a couple of weeks ago, and one came in at -3 and as soon as I swapped over, the other one came in at +7, so I went with that one, but I am now sure it is not the sensor as, regardless of which one is fitted, the temp displayed has varied anywhere between -20 and +14. I point-blank refuse to pay "stealer" prices, so it looks like I will just have to leave it disconnected !! 

Just as an afterthought...

I wonder if the ECU relies on the exterior temp sensor for data seeing as everything is electronic and relies on input to function properly.

It MAY influence starting/normal engine operation.

A more informed opinion on system interdependencies is required.

Just as an afterthought...

I wonder if the ECU relies on the exterior temp sensor for data seeing as everything is electronic and relies on input to function properly.

It MAY influence starting/normal engine operation.

A more informed opinion on system interdependencies is required.

As far as I know, it doesn't. It uses the coolant temp sensor and sensors in the intake, those are what matters for engine performance.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Well that was a waste of time...I dealt with John Good at Skoda Customer Care who basically said "We don't give out technical advice, what you need to do is take it to your nearest Skoda dealer who will be able to sort the problem for you"    :wall:

Now was I just being naiive here, or could Skoda have been a bit more helpful ??

Surely there must be a Skoda Tech. on here who could help ???

• 4 months later...

Had experienced the problem on my 2005 TDI two years ago - on a nice warm day the external temp display plummeted, making the heat kick in, then bounced off a min level I can't remember, then kept rising to a high.

Didn't have the time nor patience to mess with it or test it, some €10 or so is all it took to buy a new one and replace - works fine ever since.

I had this problem on another car years ago. The sensor was a diode which only has a small current through it. I changed the sensor and it worked but I suspect the true cause was corrosion on the connector in the car. In my view, any low current connectors should have gold plated contacts.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry for reviving such an old thread. I wanted to know does the temperature sensor sit somewhere fixed to the fog lamp, or does it just hang by itself ? As in I found my sensor just on the floor behind the fog lamp, unable to locate a bracket as to where to fix it. 

THanks