coolant loss help plz

Jay29

Hi guys

As per title seems I'm losing coolant from expansion tank I topped up the level to max mark and the overflow pushed some out

After a week driving the level is a shade below min mark where it stays is this normal or am I being paranoid

Looked at rad can't see a leak

Looked at bulk head pipes can't see a leak

Can't see water pump although pump replaced at 70k now at 120k - whats the lifespan ?

Also I'm getting no coolant light come on

When I release the cap the level goes back to max?? Am I being paranoid??

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks

Edited by Jay29

If the water pump had gone, you'd be getting more symptoms of overheating than that, like the temperature gauge actually moving past 88C or so.

This sounds like you're getting a bit of system pressurisation for some reason. When you open the cap, do you hear a hiss sound? It'll be a short one if you do.

Worst case, this is very early stages of HGF, so maybe get a coolant exhaust gas test done.

Yes when I open the cap I get a hiss but is it not ment to when hot??

Level returns to normal when cap is open then it appears no coolant is lost

I have a block check leak tester which detects exhaust gases in the coolant so I will check and report back

Hope its not headlift :(

What is the cost of HG replacement? I already have ARL headbolts. These can go in at the same time

Edited by Jay29

Yes when I open the cap I get a hiss but is it not ment to when hot??

Level returns to normal when cap is open then it appears no coolant is lost

I have a block check leak tester which detects exhaust gases in the coolant so I will check and report back

Hope its not headlift :(

What is the cost of HG replacement? I already have ARL headbolts. These can go in at the same time

Well, yes you should get a hiss if you open the cap with the engine hot, but you're also risking a steam (actual steam, not hot water vapour) 3rd degree burn if you do that! 

Also, you do not check coolant level on a hot engine!

Gas check the coolant for peace of mind, but I now think the problem is that you're checking the level on a hot engine and expecting it to be the same as on a cold one.

Oh right il let it cool off and have a check...

My leak tester fluid has gone off I'm gonna order some more and test for exhaust gases before I dip into my already empty pockets :(