Do I have a problem? Sub 40 MPG on a TDi VRs?

whitep

Hi All,

Since I bought My VRS PPD170 in January this year I have had trouble getting it over 45MPG, but recently I have had trouble getting it over 40, and last week it seemed 30 was a struggle. I do 20 odd miles to and from work down a roads in 6th. Is it me or should I be expecting more like 45-50? Im seriously thinking of ditching it if thats the MPG I get. My MK1 L&K was hard to get below 50MPG.

I barely get 400 miles from a tank, I was used to 550-600 on my MK1's and the wifes A3. I thought newer engines were more economical?

Have you checked all the usual stuff - ie tyre pressures, alignment, not dragging a caliper (test the wheel temp after a run)

My Petrol TSi isn't that far from that on a run. On a long run at a steady 70 I can achieve 40MPG.

Have you checked all the usual stuff - ie tyre pressures, alignment, not dragging a caliper (test the wheel temp after a run)

My Petrol TSi isn't that far from that on a run. On a long run at a steady 70 I can achieve 40MPG.

Tyres are all fine, no tyre wear, so assume alignment is fine, the wheels feel fine I think. I will check again though.

I am hoping someone says, oh yes the flux capacitor sticks on that car sometimes and is worth replacing for £1.38 or some such thing.

• Like 2

Check the air filter as well , I noticed mpg drop off on both the PD170 Octavia and our Superb CR170 when the air filter becomes just a little dirty , the intervals are too long imo

It is getting up to normal temperature as well isnt it?

• Like 1

Something doesn't sound right, You should be doing a little better, I thought I was doing bad compared to a work pals Audi A3 140tdi. He gets a little over 500 miles until the red light.

I have the same engine as you, 2008 TDI VRS 170 PD and I do 7 miles each way to work on A Roads between 50-60mph in 6th.  I average 43mpg for this journey.

Motorway driving At 70-80 mph in 6th gear averaging 49- 51mpg.

Local stop / start town driving at 30mph i am averaging 38-42mpg.

I always Brim my tank right to the pump clicks out then dribble in another litre or so and this normally sees me good for 450 miles until the red light appears.

I have heard having a DPF can reduce efficiency by approximately 10% compared to the likes of the Mk1 and other diesel engines without this. - i dont know how true this is though. 

As already said^^^

My L&K was hard to get over 45mpg until I had the alignment done.   I have it done every tyre change now, it pays for itself in both tyre wear, fuel milage and improved ride and handling/grip.

It may take a while to notice tyre wear being off, then it is too late and you're also out a set of tyres.

Apparently, Skoda dealers often out source alignment,  who knows how well it is done.  Plenty of threads on here about it still being wrong.

On the trip  down from Germany to the south of France last week, I was on D roads, indicated average speed was about 50mph and running average consumption was hovering just under or just over 60 mpg, depending on the length of the the previous hill.

Hope you get it sorted.

Check the air filter as well , I noticed mpg drop off on both the PD170 Octavia and our Superb CR170 when the air filter becomes just a little dirty , the intervals are too long imo

It is getting up to normal temperature as well isnt it?

Not checked the air filter, Just assumed it has been done regularly on dealer services, but thinking about it I have been driving on redressed roads then the harvests etc.... probably as gunked up as you can get. For what it costs I might as well try that.

Yes its up to temperature.

Alignment was done last tyre change in april/may and I haven't hit anything to knock it out.

Ill look at air filter next...

Something doesn't sound right, You should be doing a little better, I thought I was doing bad compared to a work pals Audi A3 140tdi. He gets a little over 500 miles until the red light.

I have the same engine as you, 2008 TDI VRS 170 PD and I do 7 miles each way to work on A Roads between 50-60mph in 6th. I average 43mpg for this journey.

Motorway driving At 70-80 mph in 6th gear averaging 49- 51mpg.

Local stop / start town driving at 30mph i am averaging 38-42mpg.

I always Brim my tank right to the pump clicks out then dribble in another litre or so and this normally sees me good for 450 miles until the red light appears.

I have heard having a DPF can reduce efficiency by approximately 10% compared to the likes of the Mk1 and other diesel engines without this. - i dont know how true this is though.

I'm upset I have a Octavia 1.9 tdi pd105 105 and average the same mog as you

I agree with the above! I work shifts and travel either very early in the morning both going to or returning from work and let's just say my PD170 gets "driven"!

I always let it warm up properly and don't abuse it I may add but I don't hang around especially when coming off nights :D .

24 mile round trip on mostly A roads with a few stretches of 30 mph limits. 85K car with full history and it's been remapped, achieving anywhere from 45-55 mpg ( brim to brim method)

Edited by steveo82

Service interval for the air filter is 60k miles. For less than a tenner its worth changing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Yep I use k&n filters and check/clean every 10k

Something not quite right there either! I average 55mpg with my 1.9 tdi pd105, however it could be down to the fact that most of my driving is done on motorways / dual carriageways.

Saying that though, I don't drive like Miss Daisy but tend not to take it over 70 mph either.

Back to the OP, my mate was having a similar problem with his VW Golf diesel and it turned out that a sticky brake caliper was the problem.

Edited by flying pig

As above. Start simple.

Check the air filter. Look at the turbo hoses and check for any wobbly connections/oily marks round them. Listen out for any whooshy noises when accelerating.

Definitely not right. I have the 1.9 but with DSG (which reduces the economy somewhat).

I did 620 miles with 35 miles left coming back from Germany via Dover to York which worked out at 54mpg and that was with 2 adults, full boot and full back seats. That was driving at the limits and not a slow run (130kmh in Germany, 120kmh in Belgium, 130kmh in France and 70mph in UK).

Phil

I have cleaned the pipes last week on holiday, Plymouth to Exeter ish in 4th at 80 ahem 70! DPF is at 25%.

I have a new Bosch air filter will fit it in 5 mins and see how we go. I must admit, when I sit on tickover the car smells a bit like an old bus, so could be overfuelling. Though I thought I might see that in the DPF regens being more frequent?

Whatever I will see what I can come up with. I must remember to check my wheel temps when I get out the car.

I have cleaned the pipes last week on holiday, Plymouth to Exeter ish in 4th at 80 ahem 70! DPF is at 25%.

I have a new Bosch air filter will fit it in 5 mins and see how we go. I must admit, when I sit on tickover the car smells a bit like an old bus, so could be overfuelling. Though I thought I might see that in the DPF regens being more frequent?

Whatever I will see what I can come up with. I must remember to check my wheel temps when I get out the car.

Is that soot or ash? Ash is measured in grammes whereas soot is in %. Max ash content is 60g.

Is that soot or ash? Ash is measured in grammes whereas soot is in %. Max ash content is 60g.

Oh, didn't realise there were 2 figures.... ill look at the ash content later. I assume a good regen clears both?

Oh, didn't realise there were 2 figures.... ill look at the ash content later. I assume a good regen clears both?

No, ash is what is left after a regen, i.e. the residual stuff that can't be burnt off.

Once the ash hits 60g you need to clean, remove or replace the DPF.