Maxidot flicker

Gaz

This one's a bit curious and I thought it was my eyes at first.  But my maxidot has started to flicker.  It only happens at tickover and it's hard to notice, but it's there.

While away down in Dorset a couple of weeks ago, I got a misfire.  The tickover's stable at 750rpm (no hunting), and the best way to describe it is that if it had spark plugs, I'd say one was just starting to give out.  Again, no sign of it once it's off tickover.

New alternator a year ago and it doesn't appear to be affected by adding load to the alternator.

I know, I know...go get it scanned on VCDS  :notme:

Just wondered if anyone thought they may be linked, or what it might be.  I know I've got a gloplug on it's way, but she still fires up okay, so I've not plans to risk meddling with it at the moment.

Gaz

I thought mine was missing and feeling rough yesterday when I was sat at a traffic light for a while...... then I realised I was listening to the engine of the lorry that was sat just behind me.

I could almost "feel" the lumpiness through the car  :)

The misfire's still there even if I don't park near any lorries  :dull:

Although I've not seen it flicker yesterday or today.  Odd one.

Gaz

Misfire could be failing injector, MaxiDot flicker could be failing alternator regulator. Though these displays occasionally failed on their own, usually missing lines.

And yes, get it scanned, but if there are no codes, not much you can do until symptoms are much more persistent.

With VCDS, you can see injection quantity deviation for each cylinder, I think it is Engine Measuring Blocks Group13/14 or thereabout , if one injector stands out, that's likely the dodgy one.

Also, when did you replace fuel filter? If it was clogged or air was getting into it, it could also cause irregular running. Same for where you filled up last time, any change from usual place(s)?

Misfire could be failing injector, MaxiDot flicker could be failing alternator regulator. Though these displays occasionally failed on their own, usually missing lines.

And yes, get it scanned, but if there are no codes, not much you can do until symptoms are much more persistent.

With VCDS, you can see injection quantity deviation for each cylinder, I think it is Engine Measuring Blocks Group13/14 or thereabout , if one injector stands out, that's likely the dodgy one.

Also, when did you replace fuel filter? If it was clogged or air was getting into it, it could also cause irregular running. Same for where you filled up last time, any change from usual place(s)?

Is the regulator an integral part of the alternator, which would have been changed at the same time?  Was changed under warranty, so I wasn't watching.

Flicker seems to have righted itself. No lines missing, just a little shimmy.

Don't think the fuel filter's been done since I've had it   :blush:  Bought at 44k, now on 68k - overdue I guess  :notme:

Filled up at Tesco in Honiton, so not from the usual places in Eastbourne.  I wouldn't say it's running irregular, just something discernible there at tickover.  The donkeys at the sanctuary in Sidmouth were cheeky little monkeys...wouldn't surprise me if some of them were up to no good  :wonder:

My nearside mirror reverse function has just started working correctly for no apparent reason.  Random.

I keep promising myself I'll book it in to have the outer CV's done. They're VAG indies, so I'll ask for a check up too.

Ta

Gaz