Just replaced my MG ZTT with a Yeti - Love it, but need some help!

HappyIdiotTalk

Hi,

Last weekend I part exchanged my ZTT for an Elegance 170 Yeti, which was a great decision because it does everything I wish my old car would have.  I love it, literally the only drawback is that its a manual!  Now I need some help and have a few questions.

First, what does this button do, its on the pillar just behind the drivers seat.  Looks like some kind of wireless system:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0gPY3_MA2jud1p3c0Utc0R2M1k/view?usp=sharing

One of my favourite features is the bluetooth connection that allow me to play music from my Android through the car.  I cant use steering wheel controls or screen to move the track forward.  Doing some research I need an updated 5K0  035 730 bluetooth box, E or F series.  Could someone confirm this, and would it be a straight swop over, or do I need a garage to do it for the security code.  If anyone has a reliable link to buy one, please post.  Here is my current one:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0gPY3_MA2juZzA5b1JUYXZzTWs/view?usp=sharing&pli=1

Double DIN.  I've like to upgrade the head unit at some point.  If I do this, will I break the integration with the phone, bluetooth and car?  Ie, do I need to get a Columbus or can I pop in any head unit I like?  And if the one I buy includes bluetooth, can I skip replace the bluetooth box above.

Sorry for the long post, I dont know anything about cars other than how to drive them.

Thanks,

Colin

First question  -  deactivates the interior ultrasonic detectors, use it all the time when my dog is left(for short periods) in the car - stops the wailing alarm, all other security 'stuff' continues to work!

Welcome.

The little button on the B post is to turn off the internal alarm sensors, such as when you are on the ferry.

Turn off engine.

Remove key

Open drivers door

Press button

Close all doors

Lock car with remote.

All external alarm now set but no internal sensors.

Can also be used if you leave pets or the wife in the car and want to lock it.

Can't help on the other items, sorry.

• Like 2

One of my favourite features is the bluetooth connection that allow me to play music from my Android through the car.  I cant use steering wheel controls or screen to move the track forward.  Doing some research I need an updated 5K0  035 730 bluetooth box, E or F series.  Could someone confirm this, and would it be a straight swop over, or do I need a garage to do it for the security code.  If anyone has a reliable link to buy one, please post.

I experimented with swapping the bluetooth module in my 2010 Yeti to get the AVRCP profile (amongst other things).  It doesn't need recoding.

The Skoda 5K0035730 wasn't easy to source at the time so I got a VW 7P6035730 instead, off eBay.  It cost me ~£100.  AFAIK it's functionally the same as the 5K0035730: it plugs straight in to the harness under the driver's seat (so you can save money by buying a used one, without a wiring harness) and it works with the Bolero and Maxidot exactly the same as the Skoda unit.  The one difference I could see was that it announces itself as a VW device when you search for it using your phone's bluetooth scan.

I got the J version of the 7P6035730 which I was led to believe would support AVRCP, but still got no transport control or media browsing via the steering wheel controls or the Bolero.  I sold the 7P6035730 on eBay for what I paid for it, so no loss apart from seller fees.

As far as I can tell from researching the subject previously you are correct that you would need the E, F or later versions of the 5K0035730 to get AVRCP.  But you might need more - maybe an updated Bolero as well (which would need a recode, I believe).  It would be worth verifying that your Android device supports AVRCP as well before heading down this road: my understanding is that native Android didn't support AVRCP 1.3 until v4.3 - Google lagged behind Apple in that respect.  Some manufacturers eg Samsung provided AVRCP earlier by using their own bluetooth stack (but going by my experience trying to use a Samsung phone with the Yeti bluetooth system - and that of some others reported in this forum - Samsung's bluetooth implementation doesn't always work reliably with the VAG bluetooth module.)

In summary: you could experiment by sourcing a used VW or Skoda bluetooth module of the correct version through eBay.  It's easy to install, and if it doesn't work, you should be able to sell it on to recoup most of the cost.

Edit: Just checked eBay and there seem to be no 5K0035730s listed later than version D.  There are a couple of 7P6035730s listed at version M, and around the same price I paid when I experimented.

(I've just realised that my tablet is running Android 4.3, so it might even be worth me trying the experiment again with one of those M boxes...)

Edited by ejstubbs

Welcome.

The little button on the B post is to turn off the internal alarm sensors, such as when you are on the ferry.

Turn off engine.

Remove key

Open drivers door

Press button

Close all doors

Lock car with remote.

All external alarm now set but no internal sensors.

Can also be used if you leave pets or the wife in the car and want to lock it.

Can't help on the other items, sorry.

That is the one way of doing that yes...  BUT if you just lock the car and then press lock on the key fob again within two seconds it does the same thing without the faff of pressing this "mystery button".

• Like 1

Double DIN.  I've like to upgrade the head unit at some point.  If I do this, will I break the integration with the phone, bluetooth and car?  Ie, do I need to get a Columbus or can I pop in any head unit I like?  And if the one I buy includes bluetooth, can I skip replace the bluetooth box above.

The way modern OEM stereos work, they don't have things like Bluetooth built into the headunit - they're on a module (as you have found) and these modules will only work with a compatible headunit. So if you replace your factory stereo with an aftermarket one you will find that Bluetooth will no longer function - not so much of an issue if the replacement stereo has Bluetooth built in - but you will need to install a new Mic as the factory one won't work.

You will also lose steering wheel control, Maxidot display and voice control. You may be able to add "autoleads" or "connects2" adaptors to restore some of this functionality but it's messy.

Better to fit an upgraded OEM unit. What do you have currently? The Columbus is expensive and the only real advantages it has over the much cheaper Amundsen are a marginally bigger screen (but not an issue because NAV instructions appear on the maxidot anyway) and a built in hard drive - which if you have your tunes on your Android you really don't need anyway.

The way modern OEM stereos work, they don't have things like Bluetooth built into the headunit - they're on a module (as you have found) and these modules will only work with a compatible headunit. So if you replace your factory stereo with an aftermarket one you will find that Bluetooth will no longer function - not so much of an issue if the replacement stereo has Bluetooth built in - but you will need to install a new Mic as the factory one won't work.

You will also lose steering wheel control, Maxidot display and voice control. You may be able to add "autoleads" or "connects2" adaptors to restore some of this functionality but it's messy.

Better to fit an upgraded OEM unit. What do you have currently? The Columbus is expensive and the only real advantages it has over the much cheaper Amundsen are a marginally bigger screen (but not an issue because NAV instructions appear on the maxidot anyway) and a built in hard drive - which if you have your tunes on your Android you really don't need anyway.

The Columbus screen is not only bigger, it is also of HD quality with FAR better resolution than either the Amundson or especially the Bolero.

That is the one way of doing that yes...  BUT if you just lock the car and then press lock on the key fob again within two seconds it does the same thing without the faff of pressing this "mystery button".

But then the deadlocks aren't on.

But then the deadlocks aren't on.

True.  :-)  But you've left a person and/or pet in the car...  so erm, I don't think deadlocks is a good idea any way in that case.  Unless you want a broken window if someone decides to be a Samaritan.

Thanks for the relies all.  

First question  -  deactivates the interior ultrasonic detectors, use it all the time when my dog is left(for short periods) in the car - stops the wailing alarm, all other security 'stuff' continues to work!

Ha! I thought it was some kind of internal wireless network for the car.  This makes more sense and will come in handy because one of my daughters isn't a great fan of walking around the supermarket with me and prefers to sit in the car playing Kingdom Rush.  

It doesn't need recoding.

As far as I can tell from researching the subject previously you are correct that you would need the E, F or later versions of the 5K0035730 to get AVRCP.  

In summary: you could experiment by sourcing a used VW or Skoda bluetooth module of the correct version through eBay.  It's easy to install, and if it doesn't work, you should be able to sell it on to recoup most of the cost.

Excellent, I'll start looking around for an E or F, thanks.  Its a bit steep, but I'm OK with paying £100 for this functionality.  I've just done a quick search on Google and my G3 seems to have AVRCP available according to this page.  :)

but you will need to install a new Mic as the factory one won't work.

Yikes.  Columbus it is then (I have a Bolero at the moment).  I think I can handle the Bluetooth unit, but I'm defiantly not up for faffing about with mics, or loosing other functions.

The Columbus screen is not only bigger, it is also of HD quality with FAR better resolution than either the Amundson or especially the Bolero.

This sold me on the Columbus, thanks.

One last thing I just remembered.  My Yeti has the parking assist feature.  It works well on roads, but I cant make it switch over to 'parking bay' mode.  The manual says to press the button twice, but doing this turns it on and then off.  Any ideas?  I probably will never use it, but I would like to show off with it!  ;)

This "HD" screen that the Columbus has - a friend at work has a Passat CC with the VW version of the Columbus which as far as I can see is exatly the same except the menus are in a different colour to match the VW dash.

To my eyes the screen is barely any bigger and I can not see any real discernable difference in the rendering of the NAV graphics - in comparison with my Amundsen+ unit.

To me it seems like you're paying a lot of money for a small (20gb) hard disk and not much else.

The button on the door pillar is also to deactivate the anti towing protection. The alarm is triggered if the car is inclined, jacked up or being rocked when on a ferry. So this button switches off these sensors.

The button on the door pillar is also to deactivate the anti towing protection. The alarm is triggered if the car is inclined, jacked up or being rocked when on a ferry. So this button switches off these sensors.

Sorry, but that is incorrect, as many of us have already stated. It turns off the internal sensor.

See posts 2,3,4, 6 for example.

If in doubt read the manual...

"Switch off the interior monitor and the towing protection if there is the possibility of the alarm being triggered by movements from ( eg children or animals) within the vehicle or if the vehicle has to be transported( eg by train or ship) or towed"

From page 34 of my manual.

• Like 1

Bit surprised by your response Graham.

This button does more than one thing.

As Kenny R, quoted the paragraph from the manual it does indeed turn off the internal monitor and the vehicle movement sensor

Cut & Pasted from my manual;

Button for interior monitor and towing protection

The interior monitor detects movements inside the car and then triggers the alarm.

The tow-away protection triggers the alarm if a vehicle is registered as being on

an inclination.

Activating

The interior monitor and the towing protection are activated automatically after

the vehicle is locked.

Deactivating

Switch off the ignition.

Open the driver door.

Press the symbol button on the B-pillar on the driver's side. The

lighting of the symbol in the button changes from red to orange.

Lock the vehicle within 30 seconds.

Deactivate the interior monitor and the towing protection if there is a possibility

of the alarm being triggered by movements from (e.g. children or animals) within

the vehicle interior or if the vehicle has to be transported (e.g. by train or ship) or

towed.

Edited by RickT
  • Like 1

The Amundsen Plus unit also has an HD screen whereas the Amundsen is a lower quality screen. The Amundsen / Plus has a 5.5" screen size while the Columbus has a 7" screen size (measured diagonally corner to corner).

Ah right - another reason why I stick by my recommendation to save cash and just get the Amundsen+.

The Amundsen Plus unit also has an HD screen whereas the Amundsen is a lower quality screen. The Amundsen / Plus has a 5.5" screen size while the Columbus has a 7" screen size (measured diagonally corner to corner).

Ah ok. Didn't realise the Plus was HD too. I know it's not a reason to buy the one over the other, but I really dislike the third middle button on the Amundsen. And for that reason alone I would go for the Columbus.