Replacing out cv, will this socket work for hub nut?

Hi:)

Went to fit coilovers today to find that the boot has split on one of the outer cvs, so I'm going to fit a new outer cv joint, however I do not have a socket big enough to remove the hub nut. From what I've Googled it's 36mm is that right?

If so will this socket fit? If not any recommendations that I can pick up tomorrow.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/laser-4629-34-drive-impact-socket-36mm?da=1&TC=SRC-36mm%20socket

Cheers

Hi:)

Went to fit coilovers today to find that the boot has split on one of the outer cvs, so I'm going to fit a new outer cv joint, however I do not have a socket big enough to remove the hub nut. From what I've Googled it's 36mm is that right?

If so will this socket fit? If not any recommendations that I can pick up tomorrow.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/laser-4629-34-drive-impact-socket-36mm?da=1&TC=SRC-36mm%20socket

Cheers

This socket is a 3/4" drive, you might want to get one with 1/2" drive.

About 8 years ago, I bought a "Laser Tools" impact quality deep socket 1/2" square drive, it fitted okay, though that part number might have changed. Also, I don't remember the front nuts being seriously tight - at that time I only had a maybe 12>15" breaker bar and a torque wrench that only when up to 120ft-lbs. But remember the nut's locking element gets trashed when they get removed - so definitely new nut time.

Edit:- I've just measured the O/D of my 36mm deep socket that just fitted, and it is 51mm - so make sure the socket you buy is this or less.

Just checked the Laser Tool website and the current offering ie  954 is still 51mm O/D, O/D of the 3/4" variant is not disclosed!

Okay, I've checked Machine Mart and they sell it and quote "suitable for hub nuts"!

Edited by rum4mo
  • Like 1

A normal 1/2" 36mm should fit. Remember when tightening these are only torqued to 45 or 50nm then 45 degrees. It really doesn't go that tight considering most of the wheel bolts through out the vag range are 120nm. Also it is sometimes easier to just nip the actual drive shaft off to replace the joint if you have a vice but personal preference(you dont have to). Ref.5 years on the tools at skoda

in the end the laser socket did not fit, even with a bit of persuasion.

the draper one did, however it isn't the best fit and feels too big. did the job in the end.

if i had the time again i would just of bought the dealer tool as mentioned above.

IMG_20141005_135233_zpsfodb9bjf.jpg

Edited by ThEgOg PMX

That's a nuisance, mine was certainly old stock even back in 2006 or so, but I measured its O/D prior to looking at the modern equivalent on the LASER site and they were both the same O/D. I seem to remember that back then some people found that the LASER one was too "thick", which I thought was strange, maybe something that changed during production phase of Fabia/Polo/Ibiza - if it makes any difference, my Polo was fitted with the later "12 point" nut at factory. I also seem to remember that a standard 36mm was not a snug fit, there is a long lead-in on these sockets and the "12 point" section of the nut is quite short - though as you found as the torque is low there is not a problem using 36mm. As always, the more expensive a socket is, the thinner the wall thickness tends to be, my LASER TOOLS impact quality 36mm certainly does not have a thin wall! Guess I was lucky as I was only buying a 36mm socket as I "bumped" into one at a market stall, ie before I knew that I'd need one!

Bit of a thread revival...

I'm about to renew the bearings on the front of mine, hence need to remove the hub nuts.

Do you have the part number of the Draper socket that you used please?

Also, does anyone know the price of the official tool from a dealer? I'd rather get that if it's not an extortionate price...

I think that Tech1e posted a "useful list of tools" a long time ago which I'd think would have included the VAG number for that socket. It will be in the tech guides or something section.

I think that Tech1e posted a "useful list of tools" a long time ago which I'd think would have included the VAG number for that socket. It will be in the tech guides or something section.

Yeah it's here http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/227160-useful-tools-for-the-budding-diy-and-techie-alike/

Thanks guys - I did read the post by Techie before putting my post up!

Couldn't (and can't!) see a price for it though, hence the ask! I must be going even blinder as well as balder...  :notme:  :D

I'll pop down to my local dealer's for a genuine socket then, seeing as it's only 12 quid!