Replacing out cv, will this socket work for hub nut?

Didn't people like my link to it in post #6? :'(

For me, worse than that, when I went searching for that thread, I could not find it anywhere by just using "common sense" and what I thought were obvious search terms!!

its weird after commenting on this I needed the 36mm 12 point socket and went around all tool suppliers and couldn't get one only ones that any had was the laser and as above it didn't fit so I bought a laser one on the intention of just grinding down the outside wall until it would fit in the hub....I went to make sure it didnt fit and how much i would have to take off it and it actually fit first time no bother ??

As mentioned in post #8, the 1/2" drive Laser socket model 954 does just fit. It's the 3/4" drive one the OP bought via the link in post 1 that didn't fit, AFAIK.

its weird after commenting on this I needed the 36mm 12 point socket and went around all tool suppliers and couldn't get one only ones that any had was the laser and as above it didn't fit so I bought a laser one on the intention of just grinding down the outside wall until it would fit in the hub....I went to make sure it didnt fit and how much i would have to take off it and it actually fit first time no bother ??

• Like 1

Got the brand wrong in previous post.............

Correct info....Gedore brand..D32 36mm socket with 12 rounded points............perfect fit for nut & fits inside the hub flange.........worked fine for me.......

Linky...

http://www.gedoretools.co.uk/sockets-3-4/6272830-gedore-6272830-d-32-36mm-socket-3-4-36-mm-4010886627280.html

:nerd:

• Like 1

Got the brand wrong in previous post.............

Correct info....Gedore brand..D32 36mm socket with 12 rounded points............perfect fit for nut & fits inside the hub flange.........worked fine for me.......

Linky...

http://www.gedoretools.co.uk/sockets-3-4/6272830-gedore-6272830-d-32-36mm-socket-3-4-36-mm-4010886627280.html

:nerd:

Thanks for the link, have ordered one of those.

• Like 1

As mentioned in post #8, the 1/2" drive Laser socket model 954 does just fit. It's the 3/4" drive one the OP bought via the link in post 1 that didn't fit, AFAIK.

My bad, i must have misread your post the first time.

Edited by mikey200615

Had an email from Gedore saying that they have none of those 36mm sockets left in the UK and that I will have to wait for them to get me one from Germany.  :o

I got mine from these people....

http://www.hisltd.co.uk/

Give them a phone see if they have in stock?

Ah it's OK thanks. I don't need it in a hurry as I'm only buying it for future use. They said they should get it within 11 days, so it's not too bad :)

Ref Laser tools, might be worth getting in touch. I've no connection, other than I helped install their initial comms system, and from MD to lowest employee, they all just want to help.

Well the good news is that the Gedore socket already arrived from Germany. The bad news is that it doesn't fit because the walls are too thick :'(

SS858829.jpg

Ref Laser tools, might be worth getting in touch. I've no connection, other than I helped install their initial comms system, and from MD to lowest employee, they all just want to help.

That is kind of the feeling I get about them as well really from just buying and using their stuff, it is also their attitude to spare part for tools where possible, that impresses me, plus their "give us an idea and we'll see if we can make a go of it" - I know that not all of the tools they sell are Laser made tools but they do seem to be filling what was becoming a void in the DIYer "good" tool supply market.

Well the good news is that the Gedore socket already arrived from Germany. The bad news is that it doesn't fit because the walls are too thick :'(

This is where a reasonable quality dial calliper comes into its own, ie measure the hub bore and then ask the tool supplier the OD of the socket, too late for you though, gutted for you after you've done what should have been the right thing! The Laser socket I mentioned, now has a bit of blurb in the Machine Mart catalogue that suggests it is also good for hubs etc I think. So maybe there is quite a variance in hub bores over time (period of car manufacture)

Edited by rum4mo

This is where a reasonable quality dial calliper comes into its own, ie measure the hub bore and then ask the tool supplier the OD of the socket, too late for you though, gutted for you after you've done what should have been the right thing! The Laser socket I mentioned, now has a bit of blurb in the Machine Mart catalogue that suggests it is also good for hubs etc I think. So maybe there is quite a variance in hub bores over time (period of car manufacture)

Yeah, I'm thinking the same about the hub bores. Looks like I'll have to attack the socket with my grinder, or maybe see if I can get someone to shave some off it with a lathe.

It was a digital calliper I meant to write, I think that I got my one from Maplins, I've had it for over 10 years and it has been very useful indeed, a very handy addition to a tool kit, probably round about £20 to buy.

It was a digital calliper I meant to write, I think that I got my one from Maplins, I've had it for over 10 years and it has been very useful indeed, a very handy addition to a tool kit, probably round about £20 to buy.

Yeah, I have an external caliper but not internal. Will have to get myself one.

Hmmm......................Like I said my one worked ok & the advertised OD of 50.8mm? was fine for me with OEM hubs..............

Well my Gedore is 50.96mm to 50.98mm OD when measured with my very accurate digital vernier..........

I get the same for my socket. It must be to do with varying hub bores.

Just for everyones information, I purchased the actual socket from my local Skoda dealer last weekend.

When I phoned them up, they got a little bit funny about selling me one at all. They did in the end, but it cost me £23 !!!

Could you measure the outside diameter of it please?