clutch pedal, is it normal

Car is a 2005 octavia 1.9 tdi 105

Basicly what the problem is, the clutch pedal has a little flop area from the top about a 1/4 down until the clutch will actually engage

if when car on or off pump the pedal a few times the flop area will be gone then when I press it slowly it will come back

do I have a problem somewhere

All gears engage fine and there is no problem with the drive just wondering what the heck it is

I'd say it was probably the norm as mine does this and I also feel pulsing on the first part of pedal travel.

If you decide to bleed the clutch, which is an easy job, get an assistant or use a pressure bleeder.

I used a one man one-way bleeder and it wasn't a success. The pedal flip flopped between fully up and fully down without effect, an eezi bleed sorted it.

I have had this twice with 2 different Octavia 1.9tdi . 1) the clutch master cylinder rod was broken at the pedal causing a 1/4 inch gap before the play was taken up before the clutch engaged ,a light click noise was present  I assume when the broken rod connected , a new master cylinder cured fault . 

2) air appearing in clutch hydraulic system , I replaced both master and slave cylinder with good quality parts and bleed the fault was cured ,  when replacing the master cylinder rod to pedal connection be careful with the 2 plastic ball clips at the pedal .

• 2 weeks later...

I have had this twice with 2 different Octavia 1.9tdi . 1) the clutch master cylinder rod was broken at the pedal causing a 1/4 inch gap before the play was taken up before the clutch engaged ,a light click noise was present I assume when the broken rod connected , a new master cylinder cured fault .

2) air appearing in clutch hydraulic system , I replaced both master and slave cylinder with good quality parts and bleed the fault was cured , when replacing the master cylinder rod to pedal connection be careful with the 2 plastic ball clips at the pedal .

How much did they both cost ruffly

• 5 months later...

Ok sorry for the bump just won't to update if anyone searches in the future also had this checked along with a nock I had on the car they have diagnosed as the clutch slave cylinder which is getting changed now once I get the car back hopefully this will have cured the fault will update once again when I get car back, will be replaced with part from gsf or euro car parts didn't really ask as it will be under warrenty anyway